ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Somebody Will Tender Gaither

vmax

Somebody will tender Gaither this week or once the UFA market thins out.

The good news is there is no team who has targeted him as a "must have" addition to their offense or he would have been tendered by now.

It's all good.

The 1st round tender was designed to draw interest and let Gaither see his value so the Ravens can lock him up long term. It's not quite the drama sweating risk of going "All In" in Texas Hold'm, but it's close. Ozzie pushed the rest of the NFL teams to try a taste.

We'll all be sweating this for sure.

Nobody would give up a 1st and a 3rd for him, but just a 1st???...uhhh...."Ok, We're in. I call you Ozzie".

The suitor will give Gaither a long term contract offer which Ozzie has the opportunity to match or excede. In Ozzies favor is Gaither and Oher are tight and this is Gaithers home...not to mention the great team, facilities and coaching staff.

If the monies close (on the long term deal) Gaither remains a Raven.

I don't think it will be ridiculous J.O. money for the simple fact that would have happened by now. I don't see a "Pashos" debachle in the making where the money is just stupid.

But should that happen, the Ravens still are looking good. They'd get a 1st round pick...say the 49'ers 12th pick. Ozzie can do a lot with that.

They can move Oher to LT...he's the better of the 2 there anyway. That's where Ohers future should be.

Then Ozzie needs to find a RT this off season...not as hard to find as a LT. He can sign Terry cheap as depth and use Yanda if need be.

And he gets a future Pro Bowler with the pick.

Two 1st round picks in this deep of a draft is not a bad thing.

Personally I want Gaither back and signed long term.

"Me too."

48645453.jpg

Edited by vmax

This is the downside of drafting 3/5 of your starting o-line in the same draft, you can't keep them all. Hopefully if someone does put an offer in it will be the 9ers which gives us a decent pick in return to draft a replacement.

From NFL.com

"Roundup: Would Ravens deal Gaither?

Posted: March 7th, 2010 | Adam Rank | Tags: Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Brodney Pool, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, David Carr, Donte Whitner, Eric Smith, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, James Ihedigbo, Jared Gaither, Kerry Rhodes, Mike Holmgren, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

The first wave of free agents have already landed, and now the news is giving way to speculation. Could a large number of high-profile names be on the move? Perhaps. Here are some of the hottest rumors along with some updated information about free-agent visits.

* After trading for WR Anquan Boldin on Friday, could the Ravens be working to make another deal? Ravens T Jared Gaither could be on the move after the team only offered him a first-round tender. The Baltimore Sun is reporting that four teams could be in the running for Gaither (the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys and Colts)."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/07/roundup-carr-a-brown-gaither-whitner-on-the-move/

If the Seahawks make the offer we'd get the 6th pick and if the 49ers sign him we'd get the 13th pick...those are fair trades for a man taken in the 5th round of a supplemental draft! Sure Gaither has shown a lot of potential and upside, but he also carries a lot of nagging injuries that seem to never full heal! It would be great to keep our young, talented line together, but if we were to lose Gaither it wouldn't be the end all be all!

Let's just hope if we lose him it isn't to a poison pill offer sheet that was used by the Vikings on Steve Hutchinson!

But if they get a 1st rounder for Gaither, no way they pick up an OL with that pick. You move Oher to LT, and trade one of those 1st rounders (the later pick) for some more picks where you can get a solid future RT.

OR, draft defense with both picks in the first, and use the 2nd for best WR/TE available.

That's what I would do, but I guess there is a reason why I'm not running the team :(

I don't know, but I'm just not feeling it... I guess if teams start bringing Gaither in for interviews, I'll change my mind, but I can't see a team giving up their first rounder for him. We never get that lucky.

Yeah, I said it. I want a second 1st round pick. Throw Gaither to the wolves.

I wonder how serious Ozzie is about signing Gaither long-term. Honestly, Gaither's work ethic and durability scares me. He gets injured way too much for someone as young and with as little football experience as him. Add in the fact that Oher is an ideal left tackle. Oher was a first round pick, and with as talented as he is you have to believe he will be the LT eventually. If Ozzie is not serious about signing Gaither long-term, trade him now for the first round pick. One year of Gaither is not worth letting a first round pick slide out of your grasp. It is not hard to find a quality RT, Cousins might be ready as is. Gaither is good, but one year of Gaither is not better than a first round pick. Now if Ozzie is serious about signing Gaither long-term, sign him! I would have no problem with that.

I wonder how serious Ozzie is about signing Gaither long-term. Honestly, Gaither's work ethic and durability scares me. He gets injured way too much for someone as young and with as little football experience as him. Add in the fact that Oher is an ideal left tackle. Oher was a first round pick, and with as talented as he is you have to believe he will be the LT eventually. If Ozzie is not serious about signing Gaither long-term, trade him now for the first round pick. One year of Gaither is not worth letting a first round pick slide out of your grasp. It is not hard to find a quality RT, Cousins might be ready as is. Gaither is good, but one year of Gaither is not better than a first round pick. Now if Ozzie is serious about signing Gaither long-term, sign him! I would have no problem with that.

Wow, why did they never find that RT in the last 12 years, if it so easy? As I see the problem:

1. Gaither is the better LT at least for now, can Oher improve sure! Well why will Gaither not?

2. Who will taker over from Oher will we see a decline, most likely! Would we have seen an improvement for Oher at RT in his second year, probably! Cousins is not the answer can he take over anyway.. I am not sure. Is it easy to pick a quality tackle in the draft? Why was Oher as the fifth tackle taken the one who had most succes, will we be that good or lucky again?

3. Gaither's work ethic and durability scares me. Where have I been reading this before? As I remember it was way back in july 2007, have there been any news since that?

4. He gets injured way too much for someone as young and with as little football experience as he. Not sure what experience has to do with this? As for his health, if this was the problem, he would not have been target with a first round tender and other teams would have had the same questions, as for one of his injuries.. well it sure scared the hell out of me, but why are we not asking the same about Yanda, Suggs and Ngata? 2008 was a pretty extreme season, a crazy schedule, AFC S and NFC E, 5 games against the Titans and the Steelers, and playing 18 games without a bye, is impressive not soft.

5. Back to basic.. Chester/Moll/Cousins as TE and Heap helping with blocks, and at least one target less!

6. The communication: Birk, Flacco, Grubbs, Yanda, will it be any easier for them?

7. I do believe Ozzie is testing the price for Gaither, and I do realize that Gaithers agent could be a headcase.

Gaither is also a very good run blocker, as a passblocker I would say Gaither did the job and some, Oher absolutly did not, ask Flacco.

8. Why not just give the money and keep this line intact, if you have your tackles keep them!

Now tell me when and how did you see Oher do the job at LT? As a run blocker he is brilliant, better probably longterm, and RR would probably love it, so if you will give up the passinggame, hmm.

Gaither in 34 games at LT gave up 7 sacks and 6 hits. Oher pretty much the same but in 18 games, 6 sacks and 8 hits, 3 sacks 4 hits as LT in 5 games, the same in 13 games at RT.

Oh btw at this age Gaither, has played more games at LT than JO, oh and Five Playoff games, and only in the AFC title game last year he struggled, well nothing like Oher against Vikes and Pittsburgh.

Wow, why did they never find that RT in the last 12 years, if it so easy?

Tony Pashos and Orlando Brown? These guys were very solid for us. No, not as good as Gaither. But remember my initial point, if Ozzie does not want to sign Gaither to a long-term deal, then one-year of Gaither is not worth losing a first round pick.

2. Who will taker over from Oher will we see a decline, most likely! Would we have seen an improvement for Oher at RT in his second year, probably! Cousins is not the answer can he take over anyway.. I am not sure. Is it easy to pick a quality tackle in the draft? Why was Oher as the fifth tackle taken the one who had most succes, will we be that good or lucky again?

Obviously we would see a decline. The question is, is that decline enough to let a first round pick slip away. Now, if we truly want to sign Gaither long-term this is irrelevant. I just am not sure if Ozzie intends to sign Gaither to that big contract.

3. Gaither's work ethic and durability scares me. Where have I been reading this before? As I remember it was way back in july 2007, have there been any news since that?

Yes, I have heard multiple comments from inside sources about the team being worried about Gaither's work ethic. I don't care if you believe me, so take it for what it is worth. However, it is to the point where other teams that are considering Gaither right now are worried about his work ethic.

4. He gets injured way too much for someone as young and with as little football experience as he. Not sure what experience has to do with this? As for his health, if this was the problem, he would not have been target with a first round tender and other teams would have had the same questions, as for one of his injuries..

Experience is a bad word, what I mean is that Gaither is very young in football years. He did not start playing football until his junior year of high school and he was only a two year starter at Maryland. His body has not taken much punishment, he should not be having nagging injuries the way he does. He should not be missing every practice during the season, Harbaugh has said this much. The guy still played in 14 games, which is why he got a first round tender, all I am saying is that giving a guy who is always hurt (key word, not injured) a long-term deal is worth thinking about. Gaither is not the same player when he has to play through pain. I have heard the team is concerned about his toughness.

5. Back to basic.. Chester/Moll/Cousins as TE and Heap helping with blocks, and at least one target less!

6. The communication: Birk, Flacco, Grubbs, Yanda, will it be any easier for them?

7. I do believe Ozzie is testing the price for Gaither, and I do realize that Gaithers agent could be a headcase.

Gaither is also a very good run blocker, as a passblocker I would say Gaither did the job and some, Oher absolutly did not, ask Flacco.

8. Why not just give the money and keep this line intact, if you have your tackles keep them!

Now tell me when and how did you see Oher do the job at LT? As a run blocker he is brilliant, better probably longterm, and RR would probably love it, so if you will give up the passinggame, hmm.

Gaither in 34 games at LT gave up 7 sacks and 6 hits. Oher pretty much the same but in 18 games, 6 sacks and 8 hits, 3 sacks 4 hits as LT in 5 games, the same in 13 games at RT.

Oh btw at this age Gaither, has played more games at LT than JO, oh and Five Playoff games, and only in the AFC title game last year he struggled, well nothing like Oher against Vikes and Pittsburgh.

I am not doubting any of these points at all, I completely me agree. I love Gaither as a football player. He has unlimited potential and is already very close to being a Pro-Bowl talent. I want Gaither as a Raven long-term. This is what I am asking, if you know you are not going to sign Gaither to a long-term deal (remember, his agent is Rosenhaul), is one year of Gaither worth a first round pick? Because if Gaither hits the free market next offseason, he is gone and we will not get anything.

....... This is what I am asking, if you know you are not going to sign Gaither to a long-term deal (remember, his agent is Rosenhaul), is one year of Gaither worth a first round pick? Because if Gaither hits the free market next offseason, he is gone and we will not get anything.

That can happen if nobody tenders him.

Anybody who signs him faces that senario.

So...just like the Ravens didn't take Boldin without an agreed upon contract extension, the same thing will happen with Gaither.

That will set Gaithers market value and Ozzie will either beat it or take the pick depending on how much they value Gaither.

One thing more...Can they afford to pay him LT money when they have big money in Oher?

LT is (I think...not sure) the highest paid position next to QB. They really have 2 LT's in Oher and Gaither.

That can happen if nobody tenders him.

Anybody who signs him faces that senario.

So...just like the Ravens didn't take Boldin without an agreed upon contract extension, the same thing will happen with Gaither.

That will set Gaithers market value and Ozzie will either beat it or take the pick depending on how much they value Gaither.

One thing more...Can they afford to pay him LT money when they have big money in Oher?

LT is (I think...not sure) the highest paid position next to QB. They really have 2 LT's in Oher and Gaither.

Well, Gaither is a RFA. So if a team were to go after him, they would sign him to a long-term deal. They do not need to ask permission to talk to him like we did with the Cards. We would automatically get the other team's number one pick, no negotiation involved. As for having two left tackles, it all depends on how much Bisciotti wants to spend. There is currently no salary cap, we should take advantage of this and lock our own guys up. If the cap is going to come back, it will come back at a very big number where we would not have much to worry about. Best case scenerio for me is that we sign Gaither to a long-term some time before he hits the market in 2011. He is only 23-years old, a Pro-Bowl talent, and a Marylander born and bred. Keep him in Maryland!

Just to clarify.......Pashos and Brown were adequate if not serviceable. They were never solid. If they were solid our QBs would not have spent as much time on their ass as they did! Then there's Flynn.......don't bet me started on that mess.

Geo had it right with his first sentence......if another tackle is so easy to find, what in the hell took us so long to get two that can really play?!?! Fact is, they're not easy to come by and we shouldn't so callously allow one to walk without thoroughlly thinking it through.

We have a franchise QB, protection should be very high on our priorities.

Geo had it right with his first sentence......if another tackle is so easy to find, what in the hell took us so long to get two that can really play?!?! Fact is, they're not easy to come by and we shouldn't so callously allow one to walk without thoroughlly thinking it through.

Not sure I entirely agree with that. One could argue that we never made a strong attempt to upgrade RT in the draft.

These are the only tackles we've drafted this decade:

2003- Drafted Tony Pashos with a comp 5th round pick

2005- Drafted Adam Terry with last pick in 2nd round

2008- Drafted Oniel Cousins in 3rd round and David Hale in 4th round

You can't expect a 4th or 5th round pick to be the 'answer' at RT and sure Terry was a bust but that doesn't mean the next one will be.

Not sure I entirely agree with that. One could argue that we never made a strong attempt to upgrade RT in the draft.

These are the only tackles we've drafted this decade:

2003- Drafted Tony Pashos with a comp 5th round pick

2005- Drafted Adam Terry with last pick in 2nd round

2008- Drafted Oniel Cousins in 3rd round and David Hale in 4th round

You can't expect a 4th or 5th round pick to be the 'answer' at RT and sure Terry was a bust but that doesn't mean the next one will be.

We also singed Leon Searcy which would have been huge....however his freak triceps injury ended his career.

We also signed a Cheifs tackle only to have that deal nullified...I forget the specifics, but somehow he weaseled out of our contract....and instead signed with the Cheifs.

There's only so much to go around with draft picks and free agent money. Once the premium talent goes...it's a crapshoot for offensive tackles, there isn't alot out there. Which is why teams work hard to keep em once they get em.

We've also went out and taken flyers because the money wasn't there on Orlando Brown and Willie Anderson. So really we've explored many, many avenues. We've drafted, signed premium guys, and taken flyers on guys. None have really worked.

Orlando Brown and maybe Pashos have had some minor success............maybe lol.

I just can't believe how much everyone discounts offensive lineman, and more importantly offensive tackles.

We've also went out and taken flyers because the money wasn't there on Orlando Brown and Willie Anderson. So really we've explored many, many avenues. We've drafted, signed premium guys, and taken flyers on guys. None have really worked.

I just can't believe how much everyone discounts offensive lineman, and more importantly offensive tackles.

We've actually had incredible success drafting offensive linemen high in the draft. The only three linemen we have taken in the first round are all (will be) Pro-Bowlers, and at least one is a hall of famer. We've had bigger needs to fill over the years, but we could definitely get a strong RT in the draft if we needed one, and an extra first would give us that flexibility. Especially if we trade down at all.

We've actually had incredible success drafting offensive linemen high in the draft. The only three linemen we have taken in the first round are all (will be) Pro-Bowlers, and at least one is a hall of famer. We've had bigger needs to fill over the years, but we could definitely get a strong RT in the draft if we needed one, and an extra first would give us that flexibility. Especially if we trade down at all.

I guess we'll just disagree lol. It's taken us years to put a tackle tandum toether, I don't see how we can just replace that like there's nothing to it. There's a real possibility that if he went and we took the pick two things could happen. One, the guy wouldn't fall to us or the right trade scenario wouldn't work to get to the proper drafting position. Next...even if that happens....the player would be unproven! Unproven talent is not equal to proven NFL talent.

I think alot of people are getting sucked in by the perceived benefits. I will agree that Oz has a really good record in the 1st round, but that's in large part because he drafts for BPA in the first round, he usually doesn't take flyers or go after need.

All of this boils down to we need to protect Flacco. Flacco n Rice first.

Lastly, I do remember several people on this board last year touting what beasts so many players would be, many of them of course WR. Now alot of those so called gems barely played! The draft can be as dangerous and upsetting to a team as it is beneficial.

Take the proven talent, sign him, protect Flacco.......and draft BPA.

Yeah, Orlando Brown only helped Jamal Lewis run for 2,000 yards, Pashos was good enough to earn a top contract on the market, and Marshall Yanda was a bad right tackle. I am not saying any of these guys are better then Gaither, they aren't. I am just saying if we do not intend to offer Gaither a long-term deal, we might as well take the first round pick instead of losing him next year for nothing. Like max said, LTs make nearly as much money as QBs nowadays. Do we have room for two big-time LTs on this team? How much is Bisciotti willing to spend?

Yeah, Orlando Brown only helped Jamal Lewis run for 2,000 yards, Pashos was good enough to earn a top contract on the market, and Marshall Yanda was a bad right tackle. I am not saying any of these guys are better then Gaither, they aren't. I am just saying if we do not intend to offer Gaither a long-term deal, we might as well take the first round pick instead of losing him next year for nothing. Like max said, LTs make nearly as much money as QBs nowadays. Do we have room for two big-time LTs on this team? How much is Bisciotti willing to spend?

Ok....honestly Pashos??? The guy garnered a top contract but no way did he play up to that contract or we would have given him one. That's why he's being released now. It also happened with Maake, he was way overpayed albeit DL not OL. Oz is great at determining value.....well except for the foxworth thing....I'm not sure what he was thinking lol.

Now Brown was a mauler against the run, but a total liability against the pass which proves my point. Finding guys that can do both is very very hard. Finding two guys is even harder. Brown and Flynn were big reasons why our QBs spent alot of time on their asses. I can remember several times where they got popped right in the mouth cuz Brown couldn't peel back fast enough.

My point is and always has been finding two guys with great talent is hard, when you get it, keep it. I'm tired of serviceable and adequate. Anyone who thinks Brown or Pashos was more than either of those two words is really drinkin the purple cool aide.

Now Yanda...I don't try to talk about what I feel I don't know about. It was my impression this guy is an outstanding guard, but an adequate tackle. Someone that can fill in until a regular tackle is found. Doesn't this guy play guard for us???

Ok....honestly Pashos??? The guy garnered a top contract but no way did he play up to that contract or we would have given him one. That's why he's being released now. It also happened with Maake, he was way overpayed albeit DL not OL. Oz is great at determining value.....well except for the foxworth thing....I'm not sure what he was thinking lol.

Now Brown was a mauler against the run, but a total liability against the pass which proves my point. Finding guys that can do both is very very hard. Finding two guys is even harder. Brown and Flynn were big reasons why our QBs spent alot of time on their asses. I can remember several times where they got popped right in the mouth cuz Brown couldn't peel back fast enough.

My point is and always has been finding two guys with great talent is hard, when you get it, keep it. I'm tired of serviceable and adequate. Anyone who thinks Brown or Pashos was more than either of those two words is really drinkin the purple cool aide.

Now Yanda...I don't try to talk about what I feel I don't know about. It was my impression this guy is an outstanding guard, but an adequate tackle. Someone that can fill in until a regular tackle is found. Doesn't this guy play guard for us???

You are overlooking the question here. Obviously Gaither is a great talent, but down the road it might be hard to carry two LT contracts on our roster. So the question is: If you know you cannot keep Gaither after next season, do you keep him just for this season and end up with no compensation afterwards? Or do you take the first round pick and get rid of him now?

You are overlooking the question here. Obviously Gaither is a great talent, but down the road it might be hard to carry two LT contracts on our roster. So the question is: If you know you cannot keep Gaither after next season, do you keep him just for this season and end up with no compensation afterwards? Or do you take the first round pick and get rid of him now?

Oher is not making any LT-money until 2014, so why not give Gaither 5-7 years, and with a possible reconstruction after 4 years. And then decide who is going to be the LT.

Gaither is not a pro bowler, a potential maybe? His value is not the same as a firstrounder tackle with 5 years in the league, he have had those injuries and other concerns, so this should not be a monster LT-contract, nothing like Ogdens, so make the deal, make it happend Ozzie. You should think as a native Marylander he would have some preferences to this place. If Gaither and his Rosens... agent is not reasonable then we have another ballgame.

After Claytons second year (2006), I was thinking he was the real deal... As I remember some people on these boards was thinking Clayton and DW, bye bye Mason.

After one year, you and many others believe Oher is the real deal at LT, still confused why you believe he will be the better LT?

Well much can happend in the next two years, silly injuries like Yandas last year (Willie), and Gaithers too (Joe), this or other things can happend for Oher as well.

Btw I agree with Yager, Brown was great at runblocking, horrible passblocking, Pashos decent as passblocking and I believe there was a reason why Jamal never ran in his side. Yanda is too small as tackle we are making just another problem if we move him, he will be a worse RT, Chester will be a worse RG.