ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Mikey is Spot On

oldno82

"Black Monday" is the day after the NFL regular season ends and when head coaches get fired. It might also be the beginning of the end of Gary Kubiak's one-year tenure as the Ravens' offensive coordinator.

Kubiak downplayed questions on Thursday about him getting another opportunity to become a head coach, but there has to be some owner out there willing to give him a second chance.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is having a career season in his first year with offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. (Wesley Hitt / Getty Images)

"I don’t think about that one at all; I can tell you that," Kubiak said Thursday. "I'm consumed with what I'm doing. Every opportunity I've ever had in my life, hopefully it’s because I'm doing a good job and working my tail off where I'm at.

"So, I think if you worry about those things, you don’t enjoy what you're doing at the time, and boy, am I enjoying what I'm doing right now."

His credentials are impeccable. Kubiak has appeared in six Super Bowls, winning three as an assistant coach, and has mentored Hall of Fame quarterbacks John Elway and Steve Young.

If he lost his fastball during the 2013 season, his last year after eight years as the head coach in Houston, then he regained it this season turning the Ravens' offense from one of the worst to one of the best in the NFL.

So, if I were Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, I'd give Kubiak just about anything he wanted to keep him in Baltimore. A new Mercedes? No problem. Keys to The Castle? Here you go. New contract extension? Done already.

The Ravens can't afford to lose Kubiak. Of all the team's free-agent acquisitions during the offseason, he has been the best. Without Kubiak, the Ravens allowed 48 sacks as quarterback Joe Flacco threw 22 interceptions last season. They averaged just 83 rushing yards per game.

With Kubiak, the Ravens are ranked 10th in total offense, averaging 239.4 passing and 136.8 rushing yards per game. When Kubiak was the offensive coordinator in Denver, he turned no-name running backs such as Olandis Gary and Reuben Droughns into 1,000-yard rushers.

He has worked the same magic again this season with Justin Forsett, a journeyman running back who has 1,128 yards after 14 games.

But maybe the most important reason to keep Kubiak is his relationship with Flacco. There seems to be a respect that Flacco has for Kubiak that he didn't have for predecessors Cam Cameron or Jim Caldwell.

Maybe it's because Kubiak played quarterback in the league and the others didn't, but the results are obvious. Flacco communicates better with teammates and coaches on the sideline. His decision-making is quicker. His technique is better as far as getting a quicker release and planting his back foot in the ground.

Flacco's game is more consistent now, no longer inconsistent from game to game and week to week. That's the least you'd want from a player in which $120.6 million has been invested.

Now, imagine if the Ravens lose Kubiak?...

READ MORE: http://www.baltimoresun.com/balnews-mike-preston-20130507-staff.html

I'm sure the Ravens have been doing, and will do, everything they can to let Gary know how much they appreciate him and want him.

But if Kubiak wants to go back to being a HC, then there is nothing the Ravens can do.

And for us fans....it's another excellent coach lost to the continuous raids by the rest of the league on what is a great Ravens organization. :gorave:

How the Ravens keep restocking with so many good coaches is amazing.

I'm sure the Ravens have been doing, and will do, everything they can to let Gary know how much they appreciate him and want him.

But if Kubiak wants to go back to being a HC, then there is nothing the Ravens can do.

And for us fans....it's another excellent coach lost to the continuous raids by the rest of the league on what is a great Ravens organization. :gorave:

How the Ravens keep restocking with so many good coaches is amazing.

Thank Ozzie and staff for that

What a difference a day makes.

After yesterday the fans want him gone. The boards are blasting his play calling.

LOL

Not only that Joe got killed with pressure up the middle yestereday on blitzed the o-line hadn't even

seen in practice. KO moved over to help Monroe out and left the A gap opened for a blitz on Joe

as he threw. Joe said they put a lot of pressure up the middle that disrupted the plays we tried to

make.

If we miss the POs for the second straight year I expect Bisciotti to fire the entire coaching staff especially

after yesterday's game, not give Kubes a raise.

He almost did last year until Oz talked him out of it.

What a difference a day makes.

After yesterday the fans want him gone. The boards are blasting his play calling.

LOL

Not only that Joe got killed with pressure up the middle yestereday on blitzed the o-line hadn't even

seen in practice. KO moved over to help Monroe out and left the A gap opened for a blitz on Joe

as he threw. Joe said they put a lot of pressure up the middle that disrupted the plays we tried to

make.

If we miss the POs for the second straight year I expect Bisciotti to fire the entire coaching staff especially

after yesterday's game, not give Kubes a raise.

He almost did last year until Oz talked him out of it.

Of course its Kubiak's fault. Joe has been here 7 years and suffered through terrible OCs for most of them....its amazing how we can't get a good OC for Joe.

Got a link to a reliable source for Bisciotti wanting to fire the entire coaching staff after last season? I never heard that. If its true and he was really needed to be talked out of firing everyone one year removed from the super bowl then he is going to be a terrible owner in the long run.

Edited by Spen
  • Upvote 1

UM, no not a reliable source. One of those she said, he said type of comments.

My friend said he was at a big party attended by Biscut. He was easily approachable and mengled around. Everyone loved

him.

My friend said he told them that he was this close to firing HARBs last year but Ozzie talked him out of it.

I don't know if that's true or not but one way to find out is to see what happens this year if we don't make the POs next

week and it doesn't look like we will. It's possible but that's the long of it. Somebody else is gonna have to lose and

Cinci just beat Broncos tonight on a late pick from Manning.

So if we don't get in next week, lets see if he fires him. Biscut was pissed last year after not getting in and put guys on notice

that he was not going to allow for a mediocre team.. He said I have to be fair this year but not after this. So I expect HARBs

to go if we don't get in.

Biscut wants to get in every year after all the money he gives Ozzie for all the scouts and equipment and what not. He sets

them up to succeed but wants a return.

He fired Billick for missing POs in 04 and 05 and 07. Maybe he'll give HARBs a third year and maybe not.

But Biacut was pissed enough to fire him last year and that's a fact. Cooler heads prevailed.

The Ravens' former style of play is what hurts them..

The present Ravens don't play a dominant, physical style, but opponents remember. In the past two weeks, they have had a similar theme.

They wanted to out-hit the Ravens. They wanted to be more physical and intimidating, and grind the Ravens down.

After a 25-13 win Sunday, the Houston Texans walked off the turf at NRG Stadium with a swagger.

The Ravens used to be able to walk out of stadiums like that.

"It's something we talked about all week," Texans defensive end J.J. Watt said. "They're a very good football team. They're a physical football team. They're a tough football team, but we're no slouch ourselves. We're not going to let somebody come into our house and just try to walk all over us."

They didn't.

"I mean we got our [butt] kicked," Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco said in summing up the day. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-houston-texans-five-things-we-learned-20141222-story.html#page=1

Mikey is spot on....

UM, no not a reliable source. One of those she said, he said type of comments.

My friend said he was at a big party attended by Biscut. He was easily approachable and mengled around. Everyone loved

him.

My friend said he told them that he was this close to firing HARBs last year but Ozzie talked him out of it.

I don't know if that's true or not but one way to find out is to see what happens this year if we don't make the POs next

week and it doesn't look like we will. It's possible but that's the long of it. Somebody else is gonna have to lose and

Cinci just beat Broncos tonight on a late pick from Manning.

So if we don't get in next week, lets see if he fires him. Biscut was pissed last year after not getting in and put guys on notice

that he was not going to allow for a mediocre team.. He said I have to be fair this year but not after this. So I expect HARBs

to go if we don't get in.

Biscut wants to get in every year after all the money he gives Ozzie for all the scouts and equipment and what not. He sets

them up to succeed but wants a return.

He fired Billick for missing POs in 04 and 05 and 07. Maybe he'll give HARBs a third year and maybe not.

But Biacut was pissed enough to fire him last year and that's a fact. Cooler heads prevailed.

Heresay to me is far from fact. For the long term sake of the team I hope its not true. Having a coach on such a short leash that he might be fired for missing the playoffs one year after winning it all is Al Davis / Dan Snyder stuff. It will ruin the franchise. I think, think, Bisciotti is smarter than that.

Two years removed with all the distractions this season is a completely different story. I wouldn't fire everyone, but it's a far less impulsive thing to do.

True. He might fire just Pees this year. A lot of us believed he put the pressure on to fire CAM who got HARBs into coaching back at Indiana

years ago. HARBs stuck with him as long as he could so Pees is definitely gone if we don't get in POs.

If HARBs was truly pissed enough to come that close last year he will be gone too.

Maybe HARBs would fired everyone and promote Kubes? Just a suggestion.

But you're right. It would all be impulsive which terminations are.

I'm not a fan of Pees but how can you fire him with the players he has had available in the secondary? They seem to pluck a new guy off the street every week yet the D hasn't collapsed. The team has had so many issues this year I'm not sure there is a coach on the planet that could do much more with this team than what Harbs has done. The remit for this offseason is to find some playmakers on O and rebuild the secondary. If we are still talking about the same issues this time next year the heads should roll.

Good point but like last year the defense gave up a lot of big plays at the end of the game like vs GB and it cost us a few

games and shot at the POs. Im sure Biscut is thinking about that.

The game with the d-line standing around and not getting enough pressure is on Pees. The week before he got the

pressure but the d-line looked tired and weak in Houston.

He was also out-coached again.