ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens hit a homerun with Breshad Perryman

Tornado700

I'm loving this draft so far. Wonder who we draft next. Maybe another guy will slip to us.

Me Too. Love stealing Williams from the Stealers. :thumbup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a beautiful thing when need and value come together.

That’s what happened in Friday’s second round when Minnesota tight end Maxx Williams slid down the board close enough for Baltimore to trade up and snatch him.

The Ravens got the top tight end in the draft when they desperately needed one. Baltimore lost Owen Daniels in free agency and Dennis Pitta (hip) is still a question mark. Baltimore has just Crockett Gillmore and Phillip Supernaw at the position, two youngsters that have one NFL start between them.

The Ravens traded their second-round (No. 58) and fifth-round (No. 158) picks to the Arizona Cardinals to move up three spots and grab a player that was projected to them in the first round in early mock drafts.

It’s just as Owner Steve Bisciotti predicted. Bisciotti told PSL season ticket holders that the Ravens could move up in the second round to grab Williams.

Williams, 21, is a 6-foot-4, 254-pound sophomore who left for the NFL draft early after logging 36 catches for 569 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

He’s not a burner, and his stock dropped after he ran the 40-yard dash at 4.78 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine. But he’s still an excellent receiver.

He has a fantastic catch radius, excellent hands and enough speed to challenge the middle of the field. He should be able to immediately step in and help the Ravens move the chains.

Williams was also the most complete tight end in the draft. He’s an excellent blocker and takes pride in being physical, helping boost Baltimore’s run game and making him a perfect fit for the AFC North. The Ravens hopped just ahead of the division rival Steelers to grab Williams.

With the addition of wide receiver Breshad Perriman in the first round and Williams in the second, the Ravens have dramatically improved quarterback Joe Flacco’s targets.http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-draft/Round-2-Ravens-Trade-Up-To-Select-TE-Maxx-Williams/fddcb5fb-059c-4030-a184-cd72f30ebefd

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12349032

Edited by vmax

Just an observation: While watching Perriman's excellent catches (and a few drops), I was really impressed with the QB who was throwing to him (#5). I don't even know his name. He's got timing and accuracy on the long pass. Anybody know anything about him? Seems like he'd make a nice backup to Joe.

Just an observation: While watching Perriman's excellent catches (and a few drops), I was really impressed with the QB who was throwing to him (#5). I don't even know his name. He's got timing and accuracy on the long pass. Anybody know anything about him? Seems like he'd make a nice backup to Joe.

Anybody but Schaub. I hope he proves me wrong. I double hope we never see him take the field this year. :fishin:

I was wondering about how good the passers were who threw to all they guys the Ravens drafted. If they suck or were barely average then the upside is all the better.

Torrey Smith was a guy of high character and had a lot of speed. Initially, a lot of us were down on him because he had too many drops. But he did correct that problem. The one thing he wouldn't do though is climb the ladder and fight for the ball. Perriman has that ability. He also has the hands question. But when it comes to fighting for the ball he's impressive. He plays like he thinks the ball belongs to him.

I want to see some clean deep balls this year between Joe and Perriman. The PI calls were nice, but Joe and Torrey never seemed to be on the same page.

Two reasons for this; 1) Torrey' timing was almost always off because of the jam at the line or just off the line, Torrey could never get back up to full speed. 2) Torrey has issues with finding the ball over his shoulder, so he would drift, throwing the timing off yet again.

Two major upgrades over Smith with Perriman. 1) Perriman tracks the deep ball well. 2) he is strong enough to fight off the jam and has the quicks to get back to full speed in time.

Yea...but Torrey has a SB ring. :gorave: I pulled for him through all his struggles and he delivered.

And now...I'm 100% behind Perryman. And Williams and Davis and Smith and Waller Walla Walker and..... :cop:

I felt the exact feeling after looking at film. Nomber 5.