ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The Decline of our D

varaven45

In addition to Dean Pees, you can attribute this team's decline to the following:

1. Diminishing Talent - Ozzie and Co have whiffed in recent drafts. Other than Mosely, I can think of a single D playmaker that Ozzie has drafted and can feel confident about building our team around, It has not only caught up with us; but we no longer have a star or future star on D (w/ possible exception of Jimmy Smith & Mosely).

2. Departure of Leadership - Since our SB year, we've seen the departure of Ray, Reed, Ngata, Pollard & Suggs (IR). You don't replace half your D and 2-3 HOF'ers overnight or, in our case, in 2-3 years. And there's no one I see as a future D leader. He might be there but I haven't seem him on the roster.

3. Demise of Attitude - Whether it be Harbs or Pees, this team doesn't carry the swagger it once had or was known for. It shows in the D frequent lapses, boneheaded penalties, poor tackling, and "soft" performances. This has never been the trademark of this team - sans the early years (96-97) and Billick's final year or two. Our D is (or already has) morphed into that soft, undisciplined mindset and there's no one who can change in the near term.

The sooner the organization recognizes this sinking ship and problem, the sooner it can begin to formulate a plan for bringing it back to the surface and turning it in the right direction.

I think if Biscotti is wise, he intervenes and begins making tough, important decisions to start the rebuilding process. Otherwise, we will continue watching a sinking ship and an irrelevant team in the NFL.

The good news, in my opinion, is the Biscuit and FO are among the best in the NFL. They will identify and address the problems and right the ship, albeit it looks like a 2-3 yr. deal.

For years the Ravens had a great D but no O.

Now they have the O but no D.

I like having the D better. At least you can go into any stadium with a chance to win.

And that gut wrenching, helpless feeling that you have in the 4th quarter....knowing they will find a way to give up the lead and game...really sucks.

Crav, yep, even on the SB year, the D was beginning to decline with Ray, Reed playing their final years. Hard to believe only 1 D starter and 3 O starters remain from that SB team.

It might be awhile before we see the playoffs. The Biscuit, Ozzie and Co have a lot of damn work to do. I wonder how that "we want to win multiple SBs " philosphy is being re-tooled or re-thought? Lots of work ahead.

Crav, yep, even on the SB year, the D was beginning to decline with Ray, Reed playing their final years. Hard to believe only 1 D starter and 3 O starters remain from that SB team.

It might be awhile before we see the playoffs. The Biscuit, Ozzie and Co have a lot of damn work to do. I wonder how that "we want to win multiple SBs " philosphy is being re-tooled or re-thought? Lots of work ahead.

If they start to use the Pats model then they can do that multiple SB wins.