ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Rebuilding the defense.

vmax

There's a lot to watch tonight and the defensive unit is high on my list. There will be a lot of new young faces and if this D is to turn the corner, then more than 1 or 2 new players will have to step up and shine this pre season. They have to get to a point where they can keep the Ravens in every game. The Panthers hi9gh octane O will be a good test.

Though this draft is not an immediate passing of the torch, it represents a push by general manager Ozzie Newsome to re-patch, rebuild and sustain as soon as possible. When an executive with a pedigree as good as Newsome's makes this type of investment, chances are it will be hard to ignore in the future....Rounds 2, 3 and 4 netted four defensive players, three of whom could be in the conversation for rotational jobs and potential starting spots this season. Outside of Tavon "Ed Reed" Young (and defensive end Bronson Kaufusi, pick No. 70, who will miss the season after breaking his ankle earlier this month), there is defensive tackle "Hardcore" Willie Henry (pick No. 132) and Kamalei Correa (pick No. 42), a bruising hybrid linebacker who has already been scolded by quarterback Joe Flacco for laying a big hit on receiver Mike Wallace during a practice earlier this month...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000682363/article/ravens-d-rebooting-with-trio-of-toughminded-rookies

I did too. All In all I liked what saw.

Really? They could not cover, would have given up an opening score if the pass was better, and they got no pressure without blitzing against the burger brigade.

Mosely was lost most of the night. Very little quality play from the safeties, tons of missed tackles...

First preseason game, I would say it was rust except that is exactly how they played last year...

Orr, Judon, Carter, Davis, Henry, ...even Elam and Brown came to play.

I saw speed, intensity, pursuit to the ball and not as many missed tackles as you.

I was looking for depth and potential future starters. The core of the D was not on the field in Suggs, Dumerville, Williams, Smith and Webb. I saw guys that look like they can claim a spot in the rotation and plugs the holes.

Carolina only averaged 2.7 ypc on the ground....not too shabby for the Ravens D.

Panthers had to settle for 4 FG's. You can win a lot of games keeping teams out of the endzone.

3 sacks, 4 tackles for a loss and 8 QB hits. That's good.

The secondary gave up way too many yards and catches. I'm not worried about them. It will be different once the dust settles.

Plus they were distracted trying to watch Michael...

ravens-game-phelps-002-tease-today-16081

Orr, Judon, Carter, Davis, Henry, ...even Elam and Brown came to play.

I saw speed, intensity, pursuit to the ball and not as many missed tackles as you.

I was looking for depth and potential future starters. The core of the D was not on the field in Suggs, Dumerville, Williams, Smith and Webb. I saw guys that look like they can claim a spot in the rotation and plugs the holes.

Carolina only averaged 2.7 ypc on the ground....not too shabby for the Ravens D.

Panthers had to settle for 4 FG's. You can win a lot of games keeping teams out of the endzone.

3 sacks, 4 tackles for a loss and 8 QB hits. That's good.

The secondary gave up way too many yards and catches. I'm not worried about them. It will be different once the dust settles.

Plus they were distracted trying to watch Michael...

ravens-game-phelps-002-tease-today-16081

Elam made plays? At the end of the game, the first preseason game, with burger buddies in the game... He was still late in coverage, in the wrong position, slow to respond.

Orr, Judon, Carter, Davis, Henry,

each made ONE play that stood out, against second tier, even 3rd tier players they should have dominated. They got no pressure, NONE against the starters, they were pushed around, pushed back against the starters.

Just like last year, 4 freaking yards a carry last year, unable to get off the field last year...

Now, it is earlier, time will tell. Oh those missing, the ones injured, are OLD now, often injured, only time will tell just how effective they will be for this defense when they return. Even before their injuries last year, the year before, their age showed in the 4th quarter, in the 2nd half of the season. They were no where to be found.

First off, I didn't see the game.

But from I'm seeing on the www, Our DBs look like last year's DB's and they look smaller.

I hope it's not true.

It is true, that is how they played. Showed flashes, but bad coverage, slow to recognize routes, even Smith was beat for a touchdown if Cam makes a better pass.....

Elam made plays? At the end of the game, the first preseason game, with burger buddies in the game... He was still late in coverage, in the wrong position, slow to respond.

Just like last year, 4 freaking yards a carry last year, unable to get off the field last year...

Now, it is earlier, time will tell. Oh those missing, the ones injured, are OLD now, often injured, only time will tell just how effective they will be for this defense when they return. Even before their injuries last year, the year before, their age showed in the 4th quarter, in the 2nd half of the season. They were no where to be found.

2.7 yards per carry. They were not pushed around.

Yeah, we were pretty much man handled by Cam going against our first string. I didn't like what I saw. But it was just one series, with many of our D starters out. But, all in all, I liked the depth, much better than last years. Plenty of time to judge this team with three more games until we play Buffalo. Speed of the game is so important. That's why more of our starters have to play to truly experience that and to be ready on day one in Bmore.