ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Latest on Tex

dc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports continue to be mixed...

First... the O's offer is still expected to be 7 years for between 140 and 150. Other offers, none confirmed, are supposed to be 8 years for ~160, though perhaps less. That again means that Tex might be taking fewer years, but not less money per year. So how much of a discount would he be giving us? Marginal.

Second... MacPhail has said today that the "locked offer" rumors are bogus. He said he does not think the O's are out of it and he never said the O's offer was set where it was. In fact, he implied that he would be surprised if the O's first offer was accepted ... almost hinting that there would of course be other offers when they hear from Boras and Tex. That said... MacPhail made no promise of adding to the offer.

Finally... the 'lure of Baltimore' continues to be a trend coming out of most camps.

He didn't have a choice in the places he's played... drafted by Texas, traded to Atlanta, traded to Anaheim... all while under the MLBPA's rules for young players...

Now, given the chance to come home, he has expressed interest in doing so.

My big hope remains:

1. That even if Henry is just trying to call Boras' bluff, that the O's are using the delay to help themselves out a bit.

2. That Boras continues to be an ass and punish teams that make a fool of him - in this case the Red Sox. Gonna punk Boras? Nope. He'll sign elsewhere for less... just because.

I also have an inkling that perhaps the Red Sox had the high offer, but Boras said, you're 20m over the O's... but Tex wants 25m to leave Baltimore. You haven't been outbid...

Angels are out.

Of the original 'final four'... that leaves the Nats and O's. Nats have apparently offered more, if original reports are right, but the O's original offer is the only offer that's ever been confirmed by anyone.

Sox still aren't entirely out, but they are still playing that game.

All anyone (mainly Olney) has to say is that the Orioles offered $140M and are thereby discounted completely from the race.

Why bother reading anymore coverage? It's all far too disgustingly opinionated. No news? Keep quiet until there is some.

Because AM said the offer is "flexible". Rumor is that AM asked Boras for the last chance to counter before Tex makes a decision, I guess that is as close as it comes to a "hometown discount". Right now the Nats are rumored to have the highest offer. Do you really think that Angelos would let Teixeira go across town to the Nats? This is why we are still covering the Tex saga.

I heard a quote about Boras, it is never good to be the front runner with his clients, because he just plays them. AM is playing it smart, IMO, by not getting played by continuely raising the offer. Even if the O's are willing to go higher, why go higher if you know it will not seal the deal? AM knows how Boras works, and if he feels the opportunity arises where we have a legitimate chance to make an offer and get Tex, he will make it (provided it is within our budget constraint, whatever that may be).

I still do not think the O's will get Tex. IMO, the Nats are getting played and Tex will eventually end up in Boston. The O's are certainly in the race still trying to keep pace for a potential sprint down the homestretch. If they weren't, AM is an honest guy with the media and would have come out publically and said the bidding has gotten too expensive (like the Angels). If this is not the case, why is our $140-150 million offer still on the table? That is almost embarassing considering the other offers, and gives us bad rep around the league. It is still on the table because AM is keeping the door open to further negotiations.

Well, Roberts is gone now.

I'm giving up if the team can't extend Markakis and needs to trade him next offseason.

Well, be prepared to give up on this team. You really think Markakis is going to extend with the kind of team we have in the AL East? At this rate we will never be able to compete!

I love baseball, probably more than I like football. I may have had enough though. The owners and players are OK with say about 6 teams being contenders and the rest farm teams for the top teams. Ive had enough. When one team smarting from not winning the world series (but still being very successful)can grab the top three agents at a cost of 400 million plus its a joke. Is that supposed to be impressive? Is a GM with unlimited resources a good one? And it pisses me off that the owners and players are fine with it.

Sure make your money, owners and players, but dont spend time wondering why preseason football beats MLB pennant race games in August, although I am sure I will read articles wondering why next year. That fault lies solely on you.

I love baseball, probably more than I like football. I may have had enough though. The owners and players are OK with say about 6 teams being contenders and the rest farm teams for the top teams. Ive had enough. When one team smarting from not winning the world series (but still being very successful)can grab the top three agents at a cost of 400 million plus its a joke. Is that supposed to be impressive? Is a GM with unlimited resources a good one? And it pisses me off that the owners and players are fine with it.

Sure make your money, owners and players, but dont spend time wondering why preseason football beats MLB pennant race games in August, although I am sure I will read articles wondering why next year. That fault lies solely on you.

I feel the exact same way, I might be done with baseball as well! Except for the occasional game at OPACY, but I might have to get a few brews in me to watch it now. :lol: