ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Gone are the days

vmax

Where is the pass rush. Just saw Antoine Barnes sack Brady. Could've used him today.

Replaced by an arm flailing Kruger. I watched him and Jarrett Johnson futilely trying to rush the QB...because Suggs was losing the battle on his no name defender.

Our pass rush has been atrocious as far as actually bringing down the QB this season. Suggs is enormously overrated for the money he makes. Ngata is supposed to be this great defensive lineman, and tho he is skilled... this guy leaves me shaking my head sometimes as well.

Teams are spreading out receivers and we blitz, they see it coming a mile away and hit the quick pass over the middle. Something needs to change, because this is unacceptable. Fitz going marino on us. Orton too. Not getting it done fellas.

Ray got the only sack. Only QB hits (2). He had a key strip or the Bills probably win.

Reed forces a fumble and get's 2 INT's.

Once Ray and Ed are gone this D is in deep do-do.

57029727.jpg

Our pass rush has been atrocious as far as actually bringing down the QB this season. Suggs is enormously overrated for the money he makes. Ngata is supposed to be this great defensive lineman, and tho he is skilled... this guy leaves me shaking my head sometimes as well.

Teams are spreading out receivers and we blitz, they see it coming a mile away and hit the quick pass over the middle. Something needs to change, because this is unacceptable. Fitz going marino on us. Orton too. Not getting it done fellas.

Ngata really? you are complaining about Ngata? wow

Got to love Raven fans

Ray got the only sack. Only QB hits (2). He had a key strip or the Bills probably win.

Reed forces a fumble and get's 2 INT's.

Once Ray and Ed are gone this D is in deep do-do.

57029727.jpg

Yep. The FOs failure to draft any impact defensive players is starting to show its ugly head. This has been obvious the last couple years but been magnified the past few games - Orton, Brady and Fitz.

The FO has really whiffed on the LB & secondary position. We could use one helluva draft the next few years.

Yes, Max, the 2000 D is bit a distant memory. I am convinced we will never see that again.

The problem with our blitzes when we do blitz is that every blitzer is already on the line of scrimmage apart from when Ray blitzes which appear to be some of our better blitzes.

How about keeping these guys off the line of scrimmage and giving them options for which gap to hit? Hitting the hole with a bit of momentum can force the O-Line back on top of the QB which can force hurried throws. We don't have to get to the QB everytime, just make him throw before he is ready or throw off balance. Teams do it to us. This is a copy cat league so copy what works.

Anyone complaining about Ngata needs to be shot. Suggs is competely overrated and overpaid I'm so sad that I was right when I said we should trade him instead of pay him a couple of years ago. Reed got 2 picks but missed coverage on multiple throws yesterday, we should see a lot of improvement from the secondary after this when Reed gets on the same page with everyone and Zibby is healthy and hopefully playing SS since Dawan Landry blows.

Sigh. Sure this was an ugly win, but a win. Give Bills some credit, give Reeds freelancing some blame, Fabians offday, and give a general mental team low some blame, first half was not happening.. what have they been doing saturday? Anyway they were not ready to go. I did not see so terrible tackles against better team for a long time. Better today when we win anyway. This is not Ravens football 2010, end of story.

I wonder how the fans reacted when Testaverde did the same and more.. in 2000! 481 passing yards against the best ever D! Btw how did that weak D react.. four wins and a bowl.

My concern is not the D.. (Eventually, not this year). When we are leading late with ten points, Cam-Flacco whatever refuse to play football, this is my complain, and why are the runninggame not dominating when we need it to be.. this is not Ravens football, it has been going on for some while.

Guest BallTMore
give Reeds freelancing some blame

I will not. Reed was about the only good thing on defense yesterday. I can't recall him being out of position once from my view from the stands. Fitzpatrick made quick reads and threw the ball, not even Reed could have made a play on them.

Fabian was just awful, Webb was beat too. Landry thinks he can run into guys and knock them down instead of wrapping up. Doesn't work.

But no. I can't put any fault of the secondary play on Reed. I just can't.

I go back and forth on Suggs.

I think his value as a pass rusher is hugely overrated. But I think is value as an overall, well-rounded linebacker cannot be overstated. And I think we pay him (and play him) as the latter. You won't see Justin Tuck or white boy from the Vikings playing the run the way Suggs can. You won't see them play the screen or over-the-middle coverage like Suggs either.

I am consistently frustrated that his rush is suffering, but his contributions to this team go well beyond his ability (or recent inability) to rush the passer.

Here's what "Gone are the days..." means to me.

For the last 10 years I could look at the schedule and feel comfortable thinking there wasn't an opponent the Ravens couldn't "hang" with. Because the D was generally so good they had the chance to be competetive in every game. That means they had a realistic chance to win.

Now I know they can't/couldn't win every game but they could stay in the hunt.

Can't say that now.

Knowing opponents can score at will on them is the worst kind of football for this fan to watch. I cannot get '96 and '97 out of my mind. It's burned in. Watching the ax slowly come down on your head. Watching the leads that the offense builds, given away.

It won't get fixed until Ozzie gets some players who can pressure the QB and at least 1 'shut down' corner...a true #1 corner.

Nothing changed for the Ravens D until they got McAlister.

For the last 10 years I could look at the schedule and feel comfortable thinking there wasn't an opponent the Ravens couldn't "hang" with. Because the D was generally so good they had the chance to be competetive in every game. That means they had a realistic chance to win.

Now I know they can't/couldn't win every game but they could stay in the hunt.

Can't say that now.

Knowing opponents can score at will on them is the worst kind of football for this fan to watch. I cannot get '96 and '97 out of my mind. It's burned in. Watching the ax slowly come down on your head. Watching the leads that the offense builds, given away.

It won't get fixed until Ozzie gets some players who can pressure the QB and at least 1 'shut down' corner...a true #1 corner.

Nothing changed for the Ravens D until they got McAlister.

Yep, Max. And its not a quick fix - it will take a couple years. The D, esp the secondary and LB, has been largely ignored (forget Kindle). Oz may need to spend 75-80% of his 2011/2012 draft picks on D, unless he is able to pull off another Boldin type signing or two on the D.

Until then, we are going to suffer through some sieve-like D games for the forseeable. I can suck up watching our D getting schooled by Big Ben, Matt Ryan, or even Carson Palmer. But the thought of TB's Josh Freeman, Cleveland's Colt McCoy, or Carolina's QB Matt Moore possibly carving up our secondary is downright nauseating !

Ngata really? you are complaining about Ngata? wow

Got to love Raven fans

Not really complaining about the dude, but annoyed/confused by his affinity for dropping back in coverage like hes a linebacker, only to be out of place to make any sort of play. Seen that a bunch of times this year. Maybe im missing something here, but why would the best dlineman in the league... drop back into coverage only to be embarrassed over and over?

That said, hes on pace to have his best year for us. Go figure.

Not really complaining about the dude, but annoyed/confused by his affinity for dropping back in coverage like hes a linebacker, only to be out of place to make any sort of play. Seen that a bunch of times this year. Maybe im missing something here, but why would the best dlineman in the league... drop back into coverage only to be embarrassed over and over?

That said, hes on pace to have his best year for us. Go figure.

you do realize, he doesn't just say "oh hell, let me drop back on this play". He's doing what he's told to don on that particular play.

on a day the Defensee gies up 34 and the team is twice down by 14 points. We no longer have to wonder if there is enough offense in baltimore to pull the game out. The D won't be top 5 this year. But the O won't be bottom 5 either.

Gone are the days of a dominant defense in the NFL is what it is. This is an offensive league, a team like the 2000 Ravens will never happen again.

Quotes like this always crack me up because the only constant in life is change. Absolutely there will be great defenses again. Absolutely. Teams will figure out rules and work situations and create the defenses again. Coaches will scout players with the proper skill set to defend with the rule changes. People adapt, people change, and defenses will return. It's not like the NFL hasn't cycled through offensive and defensive eras before. Guys like Belicheck, Parcels, etc. They will always be adapting. Eventually a way will be found to defend successfully with these rule changes.

Another quick response to the title of the thread. I agree with Max that "gone are the days of the dominant Ravens defense". At least for the immediate future, ie. this season and perhaps the next 1-2. This defense needs work and it will need a new personality very soon. Ray as unbelievable as he has been cannot possibly be a dominat personality on this defense as a player for more than 2 maybe 3 years. He's going to need someone to step up and take the mantle that he has created. We will also need a defensive coaching personality to step up and "take the reins" so to speak. It certainly isn't Mattison. I do not want the Mattison/Nolan types that have defenses that bend and don't break. Screw that, this is Ravens football. We attack on Defense! We need a coach that will bring that personality and fire! We should find a promising young disciple of Rex's crew. I'm sure there has to be someone that is studying hard on how to execute Rex's defense!

Another quick response to the title of the thread. I agree with Max that "gone are the days of the dominant Ravens defense". At least for the immediate future, ie. this season and perhaps the next 1-2. This defense needs work and it will need a new personality very soon. Ray as unbelievable as he has been cannot possibly be a dominat personality on this defense as a player for more than 2 maybe 3 years. He's going to need someone to step up and take the mantle that he has created. We will also need a defensive coaching personality to step up and "take the reins" so to speak. It certainly isn't Mattison. I do not want the Mattison/Nolan types that have defenses that bend and don't break. Screw that, this is Ravens football. We attack on Defense! We need a coach that will bring that personality and fire! We should find a promising young disciple of Rex's crew. I'm sure there has to be someone that is studying hard on how to execute Rex's defense!

I take Nolans 2002-2004 Ds and Mattison 2009-10 Ds over Rexs D in 2005 and 2007. Rexs 2008 D was pretty much the same, leaving only his 2006 D as the better. Btw does injuries makes an impact, I think so, 2006 with none of that. This year; Fox, Reed, Cody, Kindle and Kruger.. and it was not an ideal TC for Webb and Fabian.

Lots of keys injuries on D in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. The difference is that in the last three seasons it has not hurt us as much, thanks to Harbs and Cams improved offense?

I liked Rex, but I believe his impact here is overrated. And frankly I was ready to move on in 2007. And I still believe the addition of Chuck Pagano helped him in 2008.

Bend and don't break.. Well our best CB is hurt.

Hey...this doesn't mean that good days aren't ahead.

The offense definately hasn't hit it's peak yet. They can help the D out a lot too with ball control, field position, time of possesion and points!

"It's only a movie...it's only a movie..."

housh.jpg