ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We shouldnt understate how bad we sucked tonight

Spen

This game is one of the biggest of the year with a lot on the line and that's the effort we had? They were beat up and battered, we received numerous calls that helped us, and a number of non-calls that helped (can we please stop whining about the officials now, we have had a pretty beneficial year from them), and they dropped a few key 3rd down passes. Yet we put up a measly 10 points letting them hang around then serve up the game on a silver platter to them.

Landry had a few issues and wasn't good, Nakamura hurt us a few times, and Suggs was annoying trying to strip the ball instead of getting the same but I have a hard time blaming a defense that gave up 13 points and gave up its only touchdown after a turnover starting the Steelers on the 10 yard line.

Dumbo Joe (maybe harsh but more accurate than Joe Cool or Bazooka Joe IMO) and the offense had one good drive. Typical for them against good defenses in Joes career so far. Six three and outs. The end zone fades in the 3rd? Awful calls, awful passes. When the game was on the line we had two straight 3 and outs then a huge fumble. I'm not thrilled with all of the play calling but that doesn't mean I think Flacco was anything better than bad. The long pass to Housh off his back foot, the short pass to Dickson and the bounce pass to end the game were the exclamation point on his and the offenses crappy night.

Long term Joe may turn out to be a good QB, maybe even a franchise QB. However I feel right now that this team cannot go deep in the playoffs with him as our QB. Especially with our hot and cold running game.

This game is one of the biggest of the year with a lot on the line and that's the effort we had? They were beat up and battered, we received numerous calls that helped us, and a number of non-calls that helped (can we please stop whining about the officials now, we have had a pretty beneficial year from them), and they dropped a few key 3rd down passes. Yet we put up a measly 10 points letting them hang around then serve up the game on a silver platter to them.

Landry had a few issues and wasn't good, Nakamura hurt us a few times, and Suggs was annoying trying to strip the ball instead of getting the same but I have a hard time blaming a defense that gave up 13 points and gave up its only touchdown after a turnover starting the Steelers on the 10 yard line.

Dumbo Joe (maybe harsh but more accurate than Joe Cool or Bazooka Joe IMO) and the offense had one good drive. Typical for them against good defenses in Joes career so far. Six three and outs. The end zone fades in the 3rd? Awful calls, awful passes. When the game was on the line we had two straight 3 and outs then a huge fumble. I'm not thrilled with all of the play calling but that doesn't mean I think Flacco was anything better than bad. The long pass to Housh off his back foot, the short pass to Dickson and the bounce pass to end the game were the exclamation point on his and the offenses crappy night.

Long term Joe may turn out to be a good QB, maybe even a franchise QB. However I feel right now that this team cannot go deep in the playoffs with him as our QB. Especially with our hot and cold running game.

I can't decide if Joe is the problem or if Cameron is the problem. All i know is way too many weapons on this offense, too play this inconsistent and poor. Sometimes I thinks it's Joe, the other I think are Cameron. Is Cameron protecting flacco or is he keeping him on a leash? Does Cameron make Joe look better than he is with his schemes?

Guest BallTMore

Cam making Joe look good with his schemes? No.

The end-around in the 4th should tell you all you need to know about Cam.

Joe is good. How good? I don't care at this point. It's the sixth seed for us and I can't feel excited about that.

We played scared, and we lose like this all the time. Maybe we'll learn next season. Most likly not though.

I swear I am reading my own homeboard right now about the Steelers. We seem to continue to mirror each other. What I think the problem with the Steelers... and it just may be the same for the Ravens---

Is moving a team so founded in the run game, to a team that now throws the ball to win the game. The O line ends up having to change their style of play, and if they are big boys, it is even harder in pass coverage. The run game suffers because the RB's can't get into a groove and wear down the opposing D line. Furthermore, both of our teams lost their bruising premier running back- Jerome Bettis for us and Jamal Lewis for you all. We both have pretty good backs now, but they do not drive the definition of the team.

The problem is, I really don't think either team knows how to really be a passing team, and while they don't reallly have the run game anymore, they still think of themselves that way. That's why both our teams seem very inconsistent on offense--even when we have WAY TOO MANY WEAPONS on offense to be that ineffective. Of course, both fanbases have to remember that they played against 1 of the 2 best defenses this decade.

I can't decide if Joe is the problem or if Cameron is the problem. All i know is way too many weapons on this offense, too play this inconsistent and poor. Sometimes I thinks it's Joe, the other I think are Cameron. Is Cameron protecting flacco or is he keeping him on a leash? Does Cameron make Joe look better than he is with his schemes?

I think both are a problem to a degree. I worry about them protecting Joe because they think its not going to be pretty if they let him loose.

Whatever it is how we play offensively against good teams isn't cutting it. You cannot have one good drive, or take a half off and expect to win.

I cannot believe people are blaming the defense or bitching about not going for the field goal. The defense was good tonight and the decision to go for it was sound. Do you think there is a better chance of your kicker kicking a 49 yard FG into the wind or do you think your offense can pick up 2 yards?

Guest BallTMore

Joe targeted the rookie because he was open. Do you really want to complain about that?

I agree about not blaming the defense, they did their job, minus one tackle. TheSteelers defense did their job too, sadly

Still there is no excuse to score 10 points at home. None.

The first pass of the game was pretty stupid too. Throwing to Heap who had three Steelers around him. Yeah that's the way you want to start the most important game of the season.

Luckily it didn't hurt us, just Heap.

The first pass of the game was pretty stupid too. Throwing to Heap who had three Steelers around him. Yeah that's the way you want to start the most important game of the season.

Luckily it didn't hurt us, just Heap.

I think this is the stuff Mason is getting frustrated with. Our plays typically seem to be forced only go to one or two receivers, the second being a check down guy. We need Joe having more than one option out there! There are receivers open, let Joe determine who he's going to throw to!

Ravens Offense = Epic Fail

Ozzie got the coaches and owner what they wanted...good RB's, QB, solid WR's so teams couldn't shut down the passing game by blanketing one man (Mason)...an atheletic O line so it would not be a 1 dimensional group...TE's out the gazoo...

He brought in good character players, hard working passionate players.

Reasoning? Create too many mismatches for teams to defend. Have an offense that can win the shoot outs. Be able to defeat the Big Boys.

Get to a Super Bowl.

And he mortgaged the defense to do it!

In return he has a 17th ranked scoring offense. Average.

10 points in the most significant game of the season!

They played hard. They didn't quit.

They failed.

Kindle - never could have known what happened

Cody - Was never a 3 down player at Bama. Could not get to the weight the team wanted before the draft or to begin camp. I think he will eat himself out of the league.

Dickson - has contributed.

Pitta - has contributed

Reed - Has been a solid ST player.

Jones - Learning curve.

Harewood - IR'd to keep him. Showed promise in camp.

Bouldin solid pickup

Redding has been somewhat of a disappointment.

Hamlin was a pointless pickup.

Bulger is a very good backup.

Harris was pointless.

Wilson has been ok.

TJ has been hit and miss.

Oher has been very solid

Kruger has been disappointing

Webb has been OK

Phillips time will tell

Drew sucked on ice.

Peerman late round no biggie.

Bennett bad signing.

Washington was good signing under used though.

Dwil wasted a spot for another yr.

Clayton wasted a spot for another yr

Rolle resigned and must have had no physical.

Flacco has been solid

Rice has been great

Gooden is a disappointment

Zibby solid

Cousins sucks

Marcus Smith sucks

Hale Sucks

Haruki has been OK

Neal was very good.

Ayanbadejo is very good.

Leonhard great job

Grubbs has been very good

Figurs sucked

Yanda has been great

Barnes was a disappointment

Troy Smith an OK backup

Burgess a disappointment

Ngata fantastic

Chester disappointment

Pittman sucked

Dwil sucked

Daniels sucked

Landry disappointing

Sypniewski disappointing

Koch fantastic

Martin late rounder

LaCasse late rounder

Clayton disappointment

Cody sucked

Terry misused disappointment

Brown great and let him leave

Green was nothing

Anderson was nothing to us

Smith nothing

Edwards eventually was solid

DVD sucked

Rod Green nothing

Harris zero

Clarence Moore nothing

Abney zero

Rimpf Nothing

That is a lot of drafts where only the 1st rounder has been good. YEs it is great hitting home runs in round 1 but you have to fill out the roster with later round guys. Many of thos have busted. Also many of Ozzies FA have busted. His reputation is based off a great deal of past greatness. He has been far from it of late.

Harbaugh says this was the toughest loss to deal with as a Raven HC. That's telling considering the Steelers beat us three straight times in 08. I hope this motivates him to do something about the team's tendency to let up once they have a lead, but I can't help but feeling we have been here before (frustrated after a tough loss in a game we should have won) and nothing ended up coming out of it. Ultimately something has to change - this is Harbaugh's third year and yet has anything changed from his first year when it comes to how the team handles big games? We still seem to wilt more often than not against the better teams in the league.

Ngata fantastic

Chester disappointment

Pittman sucked

Dwil sucked

Daniels sucked

Landry disappointing

Sypniewski disappointing

Koch fantastic

Martin late rounder

LaCasse late rounder

Landry was a fifth? No wonder he sucks so bad. All along I thought he was a third.

Don't forget Foxworth - that's my boy, but he is not good for this defense. I think Oz made up for that with the Wilson trade though.

Overall, I think Ozzie has put enough talent on this team for us to be the best team in the league. We are underachieving and losing to teams with less overall talent (like the Steelers), and I blame that on the coaches.

I don't think there's any question this is on the coaches. At this point bring back Billick! You can't tell me Billick can't manage what Cam has managed here. LOL, I am joking of course. Really though, the coaches had best pull their heads out of their @$$. The players want to go for it, let em! Let the players play football!

Can someone explain why Joe targeted a rookie TE so often? Why oh why would you target a rookie TE constantly when you have Boldin, Mason, Housh, and Stallworth as WR? Why oh why. Rice not touching the ball very often is all Cams fault. How do you not get Rice involved is beyond me.

Agreed, agreed; and also agree w/Smurf, why'd we not run enough? any way to get 27 involved; he is too valuable and talented, we underutilized him in this game (unlike in previous games where we went to him too much too soon and found him drowned with defenders). Yeah only one decent pass to Stallworth? c'mon I think the real problem is not being aggressive enough with the O. I agree with not going for the late field goal; I didn't like the play before that, the short pass that saw the f'n receiver rolling to get outta bounds instead of a pass to get him across the 1st down marker.

anyway, another great installment in the rivalry, suck it up and move on (btw, whose assignment was it to get Polamalu on his blitz when he took Flacco's lunch money?)

I think there is plenty of blame to go around.

I see an OC who abandons the run far too soon and who goes into a shell.

I see a QB who has made only small steps in improvement since his rookie year. He continues to make fundamental mistakes by not stepping into his passes, throwing off his back foot, and forcing the ball where he has no business trying to force it. Plus while he has gotten a bit better I still dont think he reads the defense well and doesnt know when to audible.

I think to a degree the vanilla safe offense is to protect Joe. If let loose, I for one, dont think it would be pretty right now. Having said that, letting him loose is exactly what they should do at this point. Lower our expectations for this season and probably next and let him make his mistakes. Probably, hopefully, he would work through them and be better for it.

They are not real contenders this year anyhow, I think thats obvious at this point.

I find it weird now to say that I like the way the offense distributed touches, because everyone got a reception or at least a good try; but really Rice needed a lot more. and he has been so much a big factor for this team, if I were him I'd feel a bit disgruntled at being left to pass block so much when he could have been running or receiving more. shit, let McGahee do the chip-blocking for real! he only gets like -.5 to 1.5 yards per carry! utilize the personnel to their desire I say. sorry, just venting some more. ravens have a reasonable chance at going 11-5 now, and that should be enough for a wild card (I'm assuming a loss vs. either saints or browns).