ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

He was literally hopping mad(d) great read

tsylvester

I have to agree with this article, he took over as the leader of this team, officially, because of this game...

SEATTLE Lamar Jacksons frustration had reached near combustible levels.

He had the Baltimore Ravens in scoring position at the 16-yard line on a crucial late third-quarter possession against the hosting Seattle Seahawks. But then that opportunity seemingly started slipping away.

First, tight end Mark Andrews dropped a perfectly-placed pass in the end zone. Then, center Matt Skura couldnt hear Jackson clap for the ball because of the deafening cheers of the Seahawks faithful and drew a delay of game penalty, after which Jackson slammed the ball once he finally did get it to the turf in rage.

Two plays later, with his team facing fourth-and-2, coach John Harbaugh was content to settle for a field goal to break a 13-13 tie. But nah, man. That complacency didnt sit well with Jackson. As the field goal unit trotted onto the field, the seething second-year quarterback made a beeline for his coach and demanded a change in play calls.

I told him, Were going for it, Jackson later recounted. I told him to go for it because we needed to score. We had moved the ball down the field twice. Were not kicking a field goal because Russell Wilsons getting the ball again, and if we didnt score, it might look ugly.

Harbaugh listened and promptly called timeout to swap units. He told Jackson he was putting the ball in his hands.

As he strode back onto the field, everything about Jacksons body language spoke to the frustration and determination that boiled within him. So it wasnt at all surprising when he took the shotgun snap, sprinted up the middle on a designed run called quarterback power, slipped between defenders and scored from 8 yards out.

I just got mad, Jackson told USA TODAY Sports during a talk in front of his locker a short time after helping carry his Ravens to a 30-16 victory on Sunday. Wed already been down there twice and came away with just six points when it shouldve been 14 to whatever. ... Ain't no way we can put our defense back out there with three points. That wasnt going to help us. When I took that snap, knew I had to get the first down. Everyone was outside, so I hit the lane, got the first down and scored, actually.

Jacksons touchdown run, which came with 1:24 left in the third quarter, ignited a Baltimore squad that had struggled to find firm footing both literally and figuratively on a rain-soaked day at CenturyLink Field. But the play did more than spark a 17-3 scoring run that the Ravens used to clinch their fifth victory of the season.

USA TODAY: Opinion: Lamar Jackson's anger gave Ravens what they needed to beat Seahawks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2019/10/20/lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-seattle-seahawks/4050276002/

He was "Fury."

Furious to win.

Infectious. You could see the whole team rally around his energy and leadership.

He lifts everybody up. Including Ravens fans because there is a new energy in the crowd at the games. Excitement. Anticipation. Hope.

We are no longer on Joe Flacco Valium.

And Just Remember:

Jackson is 22 years old. That can't be stated enough. He's three years younger than Mitchell Trubisky and two years younger than Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. He's developing touch on his passes and he's utilizing multiple arm angles to complete difficult passes....https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-sunday-pile-lamar-jackson-is-the-truth-aaron-rodgers-ends-any-talk-of-demise/

:gorave:

Agreed Oldno. Lets see how this might spread over to the D. Maybe Earl and Humphrey are leading the way on that side of the ball.

Either way, its all good stuff. Aside from character and chemistry, I cannot think of a more important quality for team success than leadership.

While the team is still finding itself and identify, lets hope we will witness all three qualities this season!

Agreed Oldno. Lets see how this might spread over to the D. Maybe Earl and Humphrey are leading the way on that side of the ball.

Either way, its all good stuff. Aside from character and chemistry, I cannot think of a more important quality for team success than leadership.

While the team is still finding itself and identify, lets hope we will witness all three qualities this season!

Great point. I see this happening. By seasons end I bet they have a solid corps of leaders....just like they used to. :gorave: