ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Lamar's Future

varaven45

Now that the shock and sting of "what could have been" is slowly, slowly receding, a thought crossed my mind.

As everyone recalls, this team endured a bitter loss in 2011 (to the Pats 23-20)- another defeat that will live in Raven infamy.   

Many the threw the team under the bus, thought it would collapse and go into the collective fetal position the next year. 

Instead, Ray and the team pulled themselves up from their bootstraps, righted the ship and hoisted the Lombardy in 2012.

Now, Ray is long gone, its a different team and led by a dynamic, albeit young but rapidly learning QB in Lamar.

If I'm Harbaugh and Co, I'm reaching out and connecting Ray and others (e.g. Ed Reed) with Lamar soon and with the 

goal of mentoring this young man and helping reshape his future as a player and leader.     Both Ray and Lamar both 

grew up south Florida, were essentially raised by their mother and lived in rather depressed areas.   If he hasn't already,

perhaps Ray could mentor Lamar and show, through his example on the playing field, how to overcome adversity and play

like a champion.

I  have no doubt in Lamar's physical ability and his ability to learn from the past.  At the same time, I think he needs someone like Ray

who could teach him about leadership, overcoming adversity and succeeding in today's NFL.   The team and organization

needs to get behind Lamar but he needs a mentor, someone who can help learn the lessons from the past and lead him into greatness.

Here's hoping there is such a plan in place or already in the works  !     

Varaven45

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/nfl-ravens-titans-lamar-jackson-film-analysis/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Lamar played no where near as poorly as some think or like to pretend to think. He played better than anyone else on offense, granted that's not exactly a high bar. 

Also the 'he needs to know it's a team game' idiocy about Lamar is just a big dog whistle. If one of the whitest guys in the league Peyton, and one of the great sexual harrasers, played the exact game Lamar did - no one claims he's not a team player.

20 minutes ago, varaven45 said:

Now that the shock and sting of "what could have been" is slowly, slowly receding, a thought crossed my mind.

As everyone recalls, this team endured a bitter loss in 2011 (to the Pats 23-20)- another defeat that will live in Raven infamy.   

Many the threw the team under the bus, thought it would collapse and go into the collective fetal position the next year. 

Instead, Ray and the team pulled themselves up from their bootstraps, righted the ship and hoisted the Lombardy in 2012.

Now, Ray is long gone, its a different team and led by a dynamic, albeit young but rapidly learning QB in Lamar.

If I'm Harbaugh and Co, I'm reaching out and connecting Ray and others (e.g. Ed Reed) with Lamar soon and with the 

goal of mentoring this young man and helping reshape his future as a player and leader.     Both Ray and Lamar both 

grew up south Florida, were essentially raised by their mother and lived in rather depressed areas.   If he hasn't already,

perhaps Ray could mentor Lamar and show, through his example on the playing field, how to overcome adversity and play

like a champion.

I  have no doubt in Lamar's physical ability and his ability to learn from the past.  At the same time, I think he needs someone like Ray

who could teach him about leadership, overcoming adversity and succeeding in today's NFL.   The team and organization

needs to get behind Lamar but he needs a mentor, someone who can help learn the lessons from the past and lead him into greatness.

Here's hoping there is such a plan in place or already in the works  !     

Varaven45

I guess it couldn't hurt but Lamar has progressed so much in the last year after last year's loss that I am not sure he needs anyone. Even a lot of the veterans on the team praised his work effort and leadership. I think he's doing fine by himself. 

It was a tough loss and people are looking for reasons, I think it's a talent and injury issue, not a lack of leadership.

Plus maybe not bring in a mentor charged with double homicide....

Lamar is already a better leader than Ray.

Many of us thought that this was a mini rebuild/reload season for the Ravens. We saw what Eric did. We saw the huge improvement in Lamar from year 1 to year 2. Until last week he was 22 years old. 22! League MVP!

It's a long wait....but just wait until opening day 2020 season. This will be one helluva team. :gorave:

Agree on the sentiment of Lamar being a leader and winner - there’s no doubt.  At the same time, he’s also just turned 23 and has tendencies and temptations just like any other young man.  Didn’t he share a video of himself speeding (105 mph) last March.  Hey, he’s a young guy and prone to doing young guys stuff.   We all do or have done goofy stuff in our 20s. 

I’m just wondering if Lamar, given his advanced leadership skills, wouldn’t benefit from a former player taking him under his wing and keeping him on the straight and narrow.    I’d like to think his decisionmaking- on and off the field - is sound.  But having someone mentor him might help avert another video of crazy driving, improve his off season conditioning, and refine his leadership skills.  Who knows, he might have been able to light a fire under his OL or inspire his receiving corps at critical points Saturday nights game.  I don’t know he’s that far enough along but there’ll be a next time for sure. 

Lamar strikes me as a great, humble and gifted (maybe generational) football player who has a huge upside in this sport.  I’d like to see the organization optimize its investment by giving him solid, timely and healthy guidance which, in todays world, can make the difference between a great athlete and a successful champion.   Only time will tell.    I rest my case.