ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Season May Be Canceled

vmax

As this pandemic escalates, I'm beginning to think Herbstreit is on to something here....

"I'll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall," Herbstreit said, via TMZ Sports. "If we have college football, I'll be so surprised if that happens." 

"You're 12 to 18 months from a vaccine," Herbstreit said. "I don't know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don't know how you can do it with the optics of it." ..........https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/kirk-herbstreit-will-be-shocked-if-nfl-college-football-happen-in-2020/ar-BB11Nygh?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

This was a possible Super Bowl window this year. Lamar and this offense was really coming on.

It feels like the Colts leaving town.

Yet I get it. There is way more important matters to deal with.

I think there's a good chance it will be cancelled. But lets see where we stand in May. If, a big if, they can get training camp in during July/August, they'll probably play but a decision will have to be made long before that unfortunately. 

Yea...here's a little more on that....

"It's really hard to know about long-term impacts," Cass said. "A lot of that is going to depend on how long the stay-at-home order remains in effect. If it lasts a long time, it could have obviously an effect on our season. No one expects that, but you just don't know.

"We are going about the business of continuing to spend money on players. We've been active in free agency and other teams have [too] on the assumption we're going to have a full season. I just don't think the OTAs are going to happen at all. I hope I'm wrong. I'm hoping we can get some players in (the facility) in June, but I'm sort of doubtful of that. The next big date for the players of course will be the opening of training camp. We're all hopeful that will not be delayed.".....https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/dick-cass-says-training-camp-may-be-realistic-return-date

Big maybe, yet training camp has a chance to happen.

In the mean time, I'm glad that I have NFL Game Pass to watch all of last seasons games and from years past. You should get it. I love it.

That may be enough to keep me out of a Psych Ward.

4th of July feels like a million years from now.

I hear the virus damages the lungs. That's bad for everybody and for some or many of these athletes, it could be career ending.

Look, this virus is so contagious that the numbers will grow quickly. With that said, it isn't until we see the final test results from the real first wave of infected will we know where we stand.

The stimulus is great for us right now but will cost this economy in the long run. Once the police, rescue, doctors, nurses get infected then we are in real trouble as a society. If it happens.

They are now expecting a new wave to hit in the fall; ouch.

I wrote a detailed article back when Katrina hit, how the Saints should move and why, for the betterment of NO, they should move. In short, it hinged on the payments NO had to make to the Saints, to keep them from moving out. I am not sure if that agreement is still in plaxe today. But the numbers showed how the City, even with all the concession workers, bars, restaurants, etc, and tax from that, was still loaing money having the Saints.

While the math was right, I think I was wrong in agreeing with it, a year later they won it all. Even so, if that agreement is in place, you would see why NO the city is so poor.

They have to cancel the season, but doing so won't hurt the teams nor the league. This country by then, may need the distraction of football, a silly game grown men play.

With the shortage of toilet paper, people resorting to paper towels and napkins and who knows what, we might see more than the ecconomy truly crash. With no football, we may see a run on the banks too...

The issue is the time is takes from contamination-carrier. You can be exposed and get it today, pass it on to everyone for 1 week or more before you even show or feel symptoms. Then it is how sick will you get for the next week?

If we lose half a million people to this, do we really want college & pro football? There by endangering everyone all over again?

That is my point, they , we are finding out now you can be a carrier, not have symptoms and pass it on to someone. Let's give this thing a chance to die off, it doesn't last for ever on surfaces, 2 weeks and if you didn't get a full contamination, or if your immune system can handle it, 10 days, 2 weeks you are over it and not able to pass it on.

So over the next 2-3 weeks we should see, we should know how much longer the lock down has to be. That puts into almost May. If we have to lock down through June, no way college ball can be played, let alone the NFL by September.

Take away the temptation of spending hundreds of dollars people can't afford to go to a game or buy more paraphernalia they don't need or have a game day party just to drink & drive, let them save it or spend it on something they need more; baseball, basketball, shoot the Olympics are done, let football be done too, start fresh next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's more information regarding if we'll see football this fall. If we do it probably will be in empty stadiums.

Health expert doubts sports will be played in front of fans before the fall of 2021

he was less optimistic about playing football in big stadiums, for instance, as the NFL and colleges would like to do this fall if possible. 

“Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility,” Emanuel told the Times. “I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically, we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.”.....https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/04/14/coronavirus-health-expert-sees-no-fans-stands-until-fall-2021/2990261001/

That makes sense. I can't see myself or fans standing shoulder to shoulder yelling our lungs out.

So if we can't do that, then how can anybody expect the players to play when they must have even closer contact? On the field, on the sidelines, in the locker rooms and showers, on the planes and busses...not possible.

I wouldn't think it would be at all fair to expect players to play in that environment. As you said Max, there's just too many situations where they'll be in close contact.

The only way this could change would be if a non-invasive treatment was found and found quickly.

The odds are against that happening.

It's simple; limit first & foremost just camera people to show the game to the world, they can then have directors & such on radio at seperate local to switch between shots & commercial. Refs where masks or covering, players too chamging them properly at each time out.

Lockerroom is scrubbed well before game and once game starts. After half scrub a dub again.

No showers at the stdium, wait till you get back to thr hotel to limit exposure to feet and all.

Pretry simple, a pain in the neck and no, these games will not be very dun to watch. No camp, no OtA's, very limited hitting. Should be about week 8 or nine before they are in game shape, gonna be ugly football if they go forth.

12 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Pretry simple, a pain in the neck and no, these games will not be very dun to watch. No camp, no OtA's, very limited hitting. Should be about week 8 or nine before they are in game shape, gonna be ugly football if they go forth.

Not if the Ravens are winning!:gorave:

And besides....our eyes have a couple decades worth of being used to ugly football.:fishin:

What about all the other ppl it takes to put on a game?  Field crew.  They will have to have several media ppl.  Someone there has to direct.  Audio ppl to mic up announcers.  It is over 200 ppl at the game.  70 day to day at the training facilities.  

This week I heard best case scenario is starting in oct.