ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Half A Billion Dollars

vmax

That's Mahome's contract and KC's albatross. After Sunday's loss, I think they can kiss any dynasty thinking away.

Sure they will win a ton of games like the Giants, Saints, Packers, Colts and Steelers yet Super Bowl victories will be elusive. 

The CAP and Parity will get them like all the teams who pay Superstar QB's Superstar money. They can't afford to surround them with a talented team in all 3 phases. Some part or parts of the team break down and show their ugly side. We saw that here after Flacco got his big deal. Stafford and Rivers have no Super Bowl wins.

The upside for fans of these teams is that your team is always in most games and they win a ton of games. They get to the playoffs. Once there,  some well balanced teams eventually knocks them out. Since only one team can hoist the Lombardi every year, then I guess that's not so bad for fans. They get to see some exciting football. And then one, maybe 2 Super Bowl wins over the course of the Superstar QB contract.

So here's the riddle for fans and GM's: Do you pay your QB franchise money if he hit's that level of Elite QB's?

The answer until now is "Yes!" By doing that, we have exciting teams and games, winning teams who make the playoffs. Once there, the host of teams with the  franchise QB's proceed to gobble each other up until one team is left standing. The key here is that in general, having a franchise QB is needed to have a consistent entrance into the playoffs. Then, throw your arms up, because anything can and does happen as evidenced by this year.

GM's and HC's keep their jobs by saying "Yes." That factors in big time. You can't win without talent at the QB position. They know that. Sure, once in a while a game manager gets a Super Bowl win....but rarely 2.

They see the ton of upcoming young guns and know they need one to compete. They see the Elephant Graveyard of GM's and HC's who landed on teams that had no franchise caliber QB. They know that drafting one is a crap shoot and then you have to have a miserable record to get in arm's reach of selecting one. You have to stave off miserable fans who have suffered for years. Lynch mob ready fans. Then you have to develop him and fill a ton of holes on your weak roster. Can you do it quick enough to get to the playoffs and win there before you have to pay the franchise QB money?

Once again, the GM who is lucky enough to find one, pays him. They know this choice means that they will now lose talented players, who they drafted and developed, to Free Agency. They know That it is easier to plug those holes than to find a legit franchise QB.

51 minutes ago, vmax said:

What happened to the debate about putting a CAP on earnings by position?

It's unfair to the other players to pay 1/2 billion dollars to one man.

One could argue the owners and the players both have a system that works right now. Why fight and try to get that past the players association when even if successful the cap on a QB would still be huge?

You can't pay a qb, #1 wr (one of the best), te (one of the best), left tackle (one of the best)  and an edge rusher/ linebacker for long term and expect to have success ie- win super bowls.

The only way to have a top qb and win is by drafting very well. Let those players play on rookie deals, win in that window, then let em walk.

You don't let a Mahomes, Rogers, Watson, Wilson, Jackson, etc walk away you keep them long term and build around them through the draft.

Tampa just proved it can be done. They built a solid offensive line to protect a statue qb, gave him weapons on the outside, drafted well, very well on defense, boom. Sure they used a free agent or two, but cheaply.

That is how the Ravens won back in 2012; gave Joe a line, had great defensive drafts, sprinkle in a fa or two, stay healthy, get some "luck". Win.

We've talked about it before but they will have to have a position or one player rule excluding or reducing the hit on the cap. Now is the best time to implement it with so much loss of revenue this past year and I am sure going into next season as well. No way can the Cheifs for instance, pay Mahomes, and the rest of that circus (currently $201.3 mil cap going into next season, close to what, $30 mil OVER)

Billy boy said it best just after the season, they could only pay Cam $1 mil, they kept pushing the cap ahead to keep that team together and win all of those Super Bowls. Brady got pain a ton, he kept agreeing to extend his bonus to spread it out until it finally came due.

Then the Pats were screwed, the stopped having very good drafts, especially on the defensive side, and their good choices on the offensive line kept getting hurt....

I just looked.  Brady holds the highest percentage of the cap for any winning QB.  It is 13.9%  Before this it was 13.8%.  I do not think you will ever see a QB win it with higher than 15%.  I dont care if you just draft and keep the other pieces cheap.  So I would never pay a QB huge money.  It is pointless for going after the only true goal.

I guess Parity will rule in the playoffs too. It will even out. All the playoff teams with franchise QB's being paid franchise money will have had the same roster building issues. The winner is the team that does best with this. 

Fortunately for us, the Ravens draft and develop well. they should remain competitive.

Juat look at Seattle, a likely hall of fame qb, 2 super bowls in his career, nothing even sniffing it the past 4, 5, 6 years. Why?

Drafting, bad drafting, they let their draft picks like Sherman play out, then let them walk. Meanwhile, they.miss on defensive drafts, on offensive line depth, even on receivers to some extent. The results speak for them selves and now Wilson may or may not be on the trade block.

It's an interesting question....

Agree tyslv....If you sign the franchise QB, then the next 2 drafts better be damn good.

It does not feel right to be penalized for drafting and developing well. Once the players hit their peak, then you can't afford them. You watch them as they go.

A lot of that was Tom.  He had Kraft send the heir out the door.  Add in the opt outs and Bill used all that draft capital ans cap spaces to win now over the last 5 or so yrs.  Remember when Bill had 2 #1 picks a yr for like 6 straight yrs?  I fully suspect Bill to right the ship and pretty soon.  He probably does a full rebuild in the next yr.  I would trade off their defensive stars soon.

• 4 weeks later...

The Chiefs cut Fisher and Schwartz their offensive tackles and they are still not under the Cap. Neither played in the Super Bowl and we saw how that played out...the Bucs ate up their line. 

You can't pay your QB top $ and have a team around them.

Restucture of Mahomes saves $17 mil this year, but pushes the cap hit down the road.

You can pay a ton for a qb, but you darn well better draft well to protect him. The Chiefs think they have with on tackle coming back due to injury the other who opted out because of covid. We shall see...

Tampa is going the cheap way at qb, granted it's Brady. But they are going to have to pay dearly to keep that defense together. Timing is everything; you can't pay top dollar at every position especially with a small salary cap.

Pay Lamar, but draft well around him. Hopefully he get his downfield accuracy worked out otherwise we will have a bunch of 10-11 wins seasons with a short post season...

It's really a 1 yr deal.  He just signed a deal but they need cap space.  

I think no is going to go through some tough times.  The question is will they make a push for a qb in the next yr to maybe keep running for ring or use some assets to get draft capital and rebuild.  I think thw latter ia the smarter play. 

• 3 weeks later...

And this will happen here..............

Wilson’s deal

There is no sympathy here for Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson complaining about the lack of protection in the Seahawks offense the last couple of years.

Wilson signed a four-year, $140 million contract in April of 2019 and when a team pays out that much money to a quarterback, other areas on the team are left lacking, especially on offense. Seattle has good receivers, but the offensive line play has been poor.

Somewhere, you are wondering if the Ravens are thinking about this in their contract negotiations with quarterback Lamar Jackson. I wonder if Jackson is aware that signing such a deal such as Wilson’s might also be hazardous to his health........Mike Preston: Players like Fort are of vital importance for Ravens | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

29-45.jpg.pro-cmg.jpg

2 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

Its true.  But most players dont think about those thngs.

I wouldn't. You take the money. Mama didn't raise no dummy.