ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The Price of Gas is going thru the roof

vmax

The various legislaters, county execs ect have raided the Transportation fund so much that it's not there. They need more money so their brilliant idea is to add 10 cents to the 23.5 cent a gallon state tax.

...Rawlings-Blake joined County Executives Ken Ulman of Howard County, Ike Leggett of Montgomery County and Rushern Baker of Prince George's County in endorsing a 10-cent-a-gallon increase in the tax along with a constitutional amendment that would protect te trust fund from the type of "raids" that have been used in recent years to close shortfalls in the general fund....The bill the officials endorsed yesterday, sponsored by Del. C. William Frick, D-Montgomery, would couple the gas tax increase with an increase in vehicle registration fees and indexation of the gas tax to a measure of inflation in the cost of construction. The measure would also put a constitutional amendment on the 2012 ballot creating a firewall putting the Transportation Trust Fund off limits for transfers to the general fund except in the case of an emergency. It would take a three-fifths vote of the legislature to declare such an emergency.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/traffic/2011/03/mayor_county_executives_back_g.html

It's always an emergency with these dolts...rob Peter to pay Paul and then.."Hey! There's nobody/no place to rob anymore! Wait!....The citizens of our State! Make them pay for our ineffiency."

Edited by vmax

First... things in the ME will settle and the gas price will settle.

Second... the gas tax needs to increase. The gas tax is the primary fund that pays for highway construction and road maintenance. The average american is driving more than ever (surprise), which means the roads are getting used more than ever, which means they need more repairs and upkeep (surprise). The problem? The gas tax hasn't increased to keep up.

That's how a tax should work. This isn't the gov't trying to fund some new project - it's trying to keep roads safe and driveable. If you don't want to pay the tax, don't drive. If you don't drive, we won't need roads. If we don't need roads, we won't need a tax to keep them up.

But, unless you want to pay a private contractor to pave your roads everywhere you go... pay your gas tax. And pay it related to what you're getting.

Think about it this way... the gas tax is 23.5 cents per gallon. The average new vehicle on the road gets about that many miles per gallon (many vehicles do far better). So you're paying 1c per mile of road you use. Seems like a fair enough deal. Seems cheap, even.

Second... the gas tax needs to increase. The gas tax is the primary fund that pays for highway construction and road maintenance. The average american is driving more than ever (surprise), which means the roads are getting used more than ever, which means they need more repairs and upkeep (surprise). The problem? The gas tax hasn't increased to keep up.

That's all well and good, but they haven't been using the gas tax money to fund those projects. Perhaps better money management is needed first. If you stuff a bunch of money in a pocket with a hole, money is going to be lost. Stuffing more money in there isn't going to solve it.

So then whos hording the millions from slots revenue that is set aside for roads( which they have hidden under "local impact grants"}..No Md does not need to raise taxes.

Edited by cravnravn

What millions from slots? They've hardly been open to collect a dime. Even if the gov't is already collecting, it's hardly had time to work its way into the budget. You also have to remember that budgets and all were written in the last two years with the expectation of slot revenue - so that is already including in the money they are planning to spend.

But second, most of slots revenue was reserved for education, not for roads and highways.

I'm not pro-tax increases. But I think a dedicated gas tax (dedicated as in 'must go to transportation') is fine and it's too low. Seriously, think about it, you pay 1c per mile you drive. 1c per mile of road you are using.

Sometimes we just need perspective. I don't like that my cable TV bill is about $50 a month. But when I consider that for $50 I am getting unlimited viewing of 100 channels on 3 televisions, it doesn't hurt as bad. And when I consider that between the three people in my house, the TV is on for 5-6 hours a day, it hurts even less. I'm paying $1.50 a day for 6 hours of viewing. I still hate that $50 bill - but do you think you're not getting $50 worth.

33.5c per gallon. It sounds so much. Man, gas would be under $3.00 right now if it weren't for that. But then again, 33c is 1 c per mile I drive. I drive about 30mi round trip to work. Man, I have to pay 30c to maintain the roads necessary to get me to and from work on a daily basis. That's OUTRAGEOUS!

dc...you might be missing the point. The State has been raiding the Transportation fund for years to balance the budget. The money was there...has been there for the roads, but it was spent by the State to balance their budgets. So every year the counties proposed road work has been cut drastically because it was "stolen" for other stuff. So work was not done...roads got worse (of course) and now it's at the breaking point when it never had to get there.

That's why a "firewall" is being proposed.

..a "firewall" to protect the Transportation Trust Fund from being used to balance the state's budget. ....in the tax along with a constitutional amendment that would protect te trust fund from the type of "raids" that have been used in recent years to close shortfalls in the general fund.

Why are there potholes?

Like the leaders of Maryland's other 19 jurisdictions, the mayor and county executives are grappling with severe cutbacks in the amount of local highway money the state sends to local governments each year.(because they raided it) Baltimore's highway aid has been cut nearly in half, while the counties have lost about 97 percent of their highway money over the past two years.

I got a big problem with the people managing our money. Well..it's not managing, it's mis-managing. Every responsible person knows 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' does not work...these fools don't.

Now we got to bail them out.

Max, I know that the tax is not the only cost or problem and that it goes far deeper structurally. But it has been well-documented that the tax still couldn't do it's job right because it's been so stagnant. It's out of place with the times and the amount of usage our roads get and their age - much like many cities and states piping and sewage.

Spen, I have some problem with that - but not necessarily always. The tax is really meant to cover upkeep, but not always completely new highways or additions. However, a tax increase would certainly off-set was has to be charged when they need new lanes on 695 or in other areas. But again, if you think about it by cents per mile... the upkeep on a bridge or tunnel is far greater per mile than a normal street or highway - thus the additional charge.

Spen, I have some problem with that - but not necessarily always. The tax is really meant to cover upkeep, but not always completely new highways or additions. However, a tax increase would certainly off-set was has to be charged when they need new lanes on 695 or in other areas. But again, if you think about it by cents per mile... the upkeep on a bridge or tunnel is far greater per mile than a normal street or highway - thus the additional charge.

I am not complaining about any particular tax used for construction and upkeep of roads. For the most part I agree with your thoughts behind the gas tax hike.

I was commenting on the state acknowledging that certain parts of 95 were too crowded and gridlocked and thinking the solution was to build new premium lanes that they would charge us to use. So in that sense, they used our tax money to build the new lanes and then want to charge us to use them. The cost for using the express toll lanes will vary upon the time of day and traffic conditions, so when its most crowded and when the most people will need to get to work or wherever it will cost the most. I just think that is really wrong.

I have a big problem with roads being built with our tax money then us being charged to use them like some of the new 'express' lanes on 95.

Spen did I hear this right, this express rd is going to cost 4.00 from the tunnel into Harford Co, up to 24?? if thats the case it will have tumbleweeds blowing acrossed it.

Crav

In the grand scheme of being $1.6 bil in the hole. $6mil is not that much.

6 mil profit in 3 months?? come on..AND Ocean Downs figures are not in there..I see how many cars go in and out of Perryville, just on a weekend.

Spen did I hear this right, this express rd is going to cost 4.00 from the tunnel into Harford Co, up to 24?? if thats the case it will have tumbleweeds blowing acrossed it.

I cannot find any set prices, from what I read they will not set final pricing until its almost done.

Crav... there are two main problems with your thinking...

The first is that "revenue" means it all goes to the state. That's not true. That revenue gets divided. As your link shows, the education fund gets 48% (6.5m YTD in 10/10) and "local impact grants" you were complaining about get 5.5% (or just .75m YTD in 10/10).

The second is that that "revenue" is, again, already accounted for. The budget was made anticipating revenue from the slots, so it's already incorporated. Just like the budget is made in anticipation of costs and other revenues.

The third is the implication that the state suddenly 'has' that money. Again, as it's already been accounted for to some extent, the state doesn't really have anything extra - just like a business. You have it until its spent, and its all planning to be spent. So there's nothing new or extra there.

And I'll stand by the fact that those numbers are worthless. Yes, schools could use an extra 6.5m... but not at the expense of taking it out another end... and it certainly won't close a 1.5b shortfall, as noted. Nor will .75m cover any kind of meaningful road work.

What do you mean, Max? Percentage-wise?

Of course it is. But again... it hasn't been incrementally increased the way it should have. Sometimes we have to deal with it.

You know which taxes are lower? Almost all of them. Ever see the taxes under FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, etc etc? We pay nothing in income tax compared to what the generations before us did.

Who is on the shore this time of yr. Come summer I am sure they will go up but not in the middle of winter. This whole slots plan has been a disaster from day one.

You wanted to see a decent showing in revenue in the off season, afterall OC is always pimped as a family resort, so if they do increase in the summertime that means less time spent with family?? Wheres that percentage in the revenue pie? "Family counseling"

Im a little shocked at those numbers for Ocean Downs, its not like its a 4 hr drive down there anymore