ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Week 7. Ravens vs Browns

vmax

The Baltimore Ravens have a 66.8 win % in this game and ESPN's always right. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15093168&ehk=vF6z9n2DuR Jamison?

Image result for jamison hensley espn"I'm so glad that you asked. The Ravens are favored by 6.5 points over the Browns on Sunday, per @CaesarsSports. Lamar Jackson is 23-3 (.884) straight-up when favored by at least 6 points. Only losses: vs. Browns (2019), at Patriots (2020) and at Dolphins (2021)."

See the source image

This is a very important "in division" game for both teams.

The Browns are 1 and 5 coming off the beat down at the hands of the Patriots. The Ravens our 3 and 3 coming off another horrific fourth-quarter meltdown. The Ravens are still in the hunt the division title, but a loss would seriously hurt them. A loss for the Browns and you could say their done for this year. Few will lament that.

Both head coaches were saying the same thing late Sunday afternoon.

“I know I believe in the people in that locker room. OIP.dxoBm-WM77WPzjrXyicAnQHaFg?w=228&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7 I really do. I’ve seen it,” Stefanski eventually said. “We just have to focus on one game at a time.  I understand what that looked like. I understand that we got beat. That’s what it looked like. That’s what it felt like. I get it."

LOL! Coaches after losses. They all sound the same.

09QcS9RHPJ7zMLMGw=

In case your mind is wandering....

CHEER_VS_BILLS-119

Time for our "Not So Impressive Team Stats:
                                                 Browns         Ravens
Points Per Game                            24.7    26.3
Points Allowed Per Game              27.2    23.5
Total Yards                                   393.0    368.5
Yards Passing                               221.0    212.8
Yards Rushing                               172.0    155.7
Yards Allowed                               371.8    387.5
Pass Yards Allowed                      240.3    283.7
Rush Yards Allowed                       131.5    103.8

In many ways this is like last Sundays game. Stop Chubb and force Brissett to beat them with his arm. The Ravens held Barkley to 85 yards and let Jones beat them with his arm. Will this happen again?

The Patriots held Chubb to 18n carries for 70 yards and 3.9 ypc and 0 TD's

The Ravens held Barkeley to 22 carries for 83 yards and a 3.8 yards per carry average and one TD.

The Patriots won and the Ravens lost.

Lamar needs to settle down and stop playing Hero ball. Take what the Browns give him and win. Then he won't have to spend sleepless nights seeing this......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-orbXcIchehc/UFxOVJmOk8I/AAAAAAAADFo/tc63uabhhjU/s320/throwing-money-away.gif

Image result for wink gifs see a Ravens win at home. The 12th man made the difference in the last home game of the Ravens win over the Bengals and it will be the same this week. 

Edited by vmax

Lamar needs to be Lamar. He left a lot of yards on the field last week. He is thinking too much. When the pocket opens in the middle and there is no one open, run Lamar run. Several times last week he refused to take advance of those open lanes, trying to prove he is a pocket passer.

Once he bounced out of bounds 1.5 yards from a first down. He had plenty of room between he and the defenders to get that first down, but chose not to for some reason.

Barkley runs between the tackles, a Ravens strength. Chubb has killed the Ravens with off tackle, outside runs, a Raven weakness because neither end can hold the edge.

That will be the key. The tackles, with Jones back in the line up, have been doing great against the run and pushing the pocket. Now it is time the ends do their job, hold the edge, string em out, squeeze em down.

Now will our two horrible linebackers in the middle scrape properly to fill?

I am not worried about the Ravens scoring, just the defense having a big let down. This game could make or break the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Lamar needs to be Lamar. He left a lot of yards on the field last week. He is thinking too much. When the pocket opens in the middle and there is no one open, run Lamar run. Several times last week he refused to take advance of those open lanes, trying to prove he is a pocket passer.

Once he bounced out of bounds 1.5 yards from a first down. He had plenty of room between he and the defenders to get that first down, but chose not to for some reason.

Barkley runs between the tackles, a Ravens strength. Chubb has killed the Ravens with off tackle, outside runs, a Raven weakness because neither end can hold the edge.

That will be the key. The tackles, with Jones back in the line up, have been doing great against the run and pushing the pocket. Now it is time the ends do their job, hold the edge, string em out, squeeze em down.

I am not worried about the Ravens scoring, just the defense having a big let down. This game could make or break the season.

I saw that on that play and was wondering 'Why? Why? Why???

I think you hit the nail on the head in that he is now fixated on being a pocket qb. C'mon Lamar, don't be a sucker for these critics who insist you have to be a pocket passer in this league. Dammit, just be yourself.

• Like 1

Jamison Hensley • TweetShift
BOT
 — Yesterday at 4:43 PM
Lamar Jackson on team's mindset: "Our attitude is we’re pissed off about losing. But at the same time, we can’t dwell on it. We have to move on and focus on the Browns. We’re just ready to put on a show because we’re so mad.":gorave:
[4:46 PM]
Lamar Jackson on an offense that has scored 4 TDs in 10 red-zone drives in last 3 games: "We know what we’re supposed to do. We’re the offense. Our job is to score points. We’re not trying to rely on [Justin Tucker]. The only time we should rely on him is for extra points." :gorave:

Jamison Hensley on Twitter
“Ravens injury report Wednesday:

Did not practice
TE Mark Andrews (knee)
RB J.K. Dobbins (knee)
DE Calais Campbell (foot)
RT Morgan Moses (heel)
FB Patrick Ricard (knee)

LIMITED
QB Lamar Jackson (hip)
WR Rashod Bateman (foot)
LB J.Houston (groin)

*WR Devin Duvernay got rest day”

Hopefully Andrews knee problem isn't too serious.

Jamison Hensley • TweetShift
BOT
 — Today at 2:17 PM
Good news for #Ravens …

4 players returned to practice after missing Wednesday:
WR Devin Duvernay
DE Calais Campbell
RT Morgan Moses
G Ben Cleveland

Bad news …

4 players remain sidelined:
TE Mark Andrews (knee)
RB J.K. Dobbins (knee)
CB Marcus Peters
FB Patrick Ricard (knee)
[2:22 PM]
Rashod Bateman practiced for the second straight day. He’s missed the last two games with a left foot injury.

• Lamar Jackson has posted a 72.6 QBR in the first three quarters, the third-best mark in the league. In the fourth, he's down to 28.4.

• The league's fifth-best pass defense by QBR before the final 15 minutes is suddenly dead last in QBR in the fourth quarter.

• The Ravens have a plus-six turnover differential in quarters 1-3 but a minus-two differential in the fourth.

Edited by vmax

The Ravens rank 1st in yards per carry. Last 4 games averaging 180 yards on the ground. What does this quote from Jeff tell you? ...."Cleveland Browns defense that is allowing 5.0 yards per rushing attempt. Only five NFL defenses are surrendering more yards per carry, and only eight are giving up more rushing yards per game."

Stanley's back The O line is blocking better as a group. Hill is back. Drake is breaking out after getting over his knee issues and Gus should be back for Thursday night vs the Bucs. And Lamar's pissed off.:thumbup:

Edited by vmax

Jamison Hensley • 
 — Yesterday at 4:41 PM
Ravens QB Lamar Jackson had a full practice Thursday.

He was limited with a hip injury on Wednesday.
[4:44 PM]
Ravens injury report - Thursday

DID NOT PRACTICE
TE Mark Andrews (knee)
RB J.K. Dobbins (knee)
CB Marcus Peters (quad)
FB Patrick Ricard (knee)

LIMITED
WR Rashod Bateman
DE Calais Campbell
OLB Justin Houston
OT Morgan Moses
G Ben Cleveland

FULL
QB Lamar Jackson
OT R. Stanley

Let's keep it this way. Let 3-3 be our bottom. 

May be an image of football and text that says 'PLAYOFF NFL THROUGH WEEK 6 PICTURE AFC DIVISIONAL ROUND 1SEED 1SEED NFC AFC SEED WILD CARD ROUND SEED SEED NFC SEED 2SEED SEED 6SEED SEED @ SEED SEED 4 SEED SEED SEED'

Edited by vmax

Max et al,

After watching this team for the past 25 + years, including the good (2 SB wins), the bad, and the mediocre,

I see this team stuck in the mire of mediocrity.  There is no real identity, character or chemistry - at least nothing near 

what we observed in the 2001 and 2012/13 SB runs.   

If Lamar is the face of the franchise (assume that he is), I have little faith in this team going forward as a playoff

or contending team.  I obviously have even less confidence in being or becoming an elite or championship team.     

Take this Sunday.   I can just as easily see a Jacoby Brisette (sp) led Brown team coming into M & T and sneaking out with a W 

as I can seeing us pick up the W.  Here's the thing. Lamar has to play almost error free ball, especially in the crunch.   I dont see him 

doing that on Sunday or consistently for the rest of the season.  I can actually envision a scenario where Cleveland's offense (Chubb and Jacoby)

slices up our D, and Lamar makes another BAD gaffe - early or late - and the wheels come off the cart.

I hate to sound like the grim reaper (its almost Halloween, right?), but this team right now, today has no real identity and other than the 14-2 

season in 2019 (?), hasn't shown any championship potential and is steeped in mediocrity.   

In my humble opinion, the sooner we look for another long solution at QB the better.  I'm afraid whatever we've seen from Lamar in 4-5 years, 

we've seen it.   The FO needs to posture - by trades, picks, etc. - for a high (top 10) QB draft pick in 2023.   Keep Huntley and 3rd stringer (Anthony ?),

and draft a physical, smart, mobile guy and retool the WR corps, strengthen the RBs, and keep fortifying the OL.     Simultaneously, we fix the D with a 

bonafide LB corps and edge rusher (s).   Its a tall order (and we might squander a year, maybe two) but in today's Mediocre Football League (MFL), there's a

fine line between winning and losing.   Look at last year's unimpressive SB winner, the LA Rams.  We took them on w/Huntley and should have beaten them

last December at home.   Fine line between being a SB winner and non-playoff team.

Meanwhile, looking for a winner on Sunday's game, you can flip a coin :)      

Hey VA, great take.

Let me say I do not disagree, but also, do not agree.

Take the 3 loses this year. With the caveat of getting some players back from injury who missed most if not all of last year.

This team was trouncing what some are calling the best team in the NFL, for 2 almost 3 quarters.

In the other two loses, this team was destroying the Phins, must like they did the Bill's, and held a 14+ point lead in another loss.

Yes, it's bad, yes, this team did what no other team did, blow double digit leads in each of their first six games and not have a winning record. Blah, blah, blah 😀

So what we know is that this defense, again, missing or getting players back who missed a lot of time due to injury, shut down, even for a half to three quarters, every team they faced this year.

This offense scored, driving 90+ yards, scoring quickly on one or two plays, in each of the games this year, including the 3 losses.

Now it is just a matter of building on those positive plays, capitalizing on the desperation of other teams being down by 14+ scores coming out of half time.

When/if they do, those 3 losses are turned to wins. With players who missed time due to injury last year back, and back to game speed, they are also building chemistry between them and their teammates. So that now, going forward, the play should be more consistent, both on defense and offense.

Lamar can be a 20-10 td/int quarterback, there is nothing wrong with those numbers. Perfect? No, no qb is, again, look at Roger's and his struggles this year, Wilson, etc.

Joe Montanna was never perfect, if he wad, they would have won far more Super Bowls. Even Brady, 18-0 going into the Super Bowl, (even though Rex Ryan screwed up a Ravens victory at the end), lost a Super Bowl, so they finished 18-1.

20-10, with a good run game, Stanley is back and in great form, and a solid defense, the line is getting healthier by the day, and this team can win consistently, 10-12 games every year Lamar is playing that well. That means playoffs more times than not.

Sure, we still need to see him play well in prime time, but tell me, how many Super Bowls has Roger's or Wilson won? How many did Manning or Marino win?

Are you saying you wouldn't want Roger's, or Marino in his prime? 2 Super Bowls combined over a combined 20+ years, hall of fame qbs...

Good Posts guys. Yes...3-3 is as mediocre as you can get. The good news is it's a mediocre NFL at this point in the season. 10 teams are 3-3. 12 teams have 4 or more losses. Parity strikes.

Our Identity used to be great defense, hard smash mouth football and win ugly. The only Identity that I see today is that they will be running the ball at will the rest of this season. They will be a top 5 scoring offense. 

It's the Lamar era and no way do I want to lose him. Ravens football is too much fun to watch, and they won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. Why not Lamar?

Special teams is good and getting better.

The story from here on out is defensive improvement. Watch Travis Jones Sunday. He might eat up the Brown center. Bowser and Houston will be back. Somebody will develop into a solid 3rdv CB between Stephens, Williams and Davis. Queen's been playing better each week. He's not Ray Lewis but he is progressing. Madubuike is going to make a name for himself. He's breaking out. Pierce was a bust. He keeps convincing teams to give him money. Ojabo may be a helpful rotational/situational player come December. Macdonald is learning on the job and learning his players strengths and weaknesses.  He has a good mind. He will evolve. 

My point? It's too early to rule the defense out. They can improve a lot because the talent is there. 

If they don't improve, then it will be a short post season run. I think they will surprise us. 

Edited by vmax
  • Upvote 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:29 PM, tsylvester said:

The Ravens will be fired up this Sunday and despite the injuries will prevail. Just a hunch.

• Upvote 1

I'd say JK is done for this season unless the scope really gets the job done. They'll be fine with Hill dand Drake and Lamar.

A healthy Bateman and Andrews, coupled with the addition of DeSean Jackson’s speed, would be a positive development for the Ravens’ offense, but there are legitimate questions on all three fronts..........Stanley has had 44 pass-blocking snaps since returning in Week 5 and has yet to allow a quarterback pressure.............the Browns have the worst run defense the Ravens have faced this season. Cleveland is 27th in rush defense success rate (56.5 percent), according to TruMedia, and it has allowed a league-high four touchdown runs of 12 yards or more. There’s no excuse for Roman not to keep the ball on the ground as long as the Ravens are having success..........The Browns, meanwhile, have allowed an NFL-high 67 points in the fourth quarter....https://theathletic.com/3717365/2022/10/22/baltimore-ravens-cleveland-browns-week-7/?source=emp_shared_article

Jeff Zrebiec •
Ravens will have over 50 members of the SB-winning XLVII-winning team at M&T Bank Stadium Sunday for the 10-year anniversary of franchise’s second world championship. Fans encouraged to be in their seats by 12:30 p.m., when team will be be announced and recognized.
Ravens executive VP Ozzie Newsome and former players Ray Lewis and Ed Reed will also address crowd during on-field halftime tribute Sunday of the Super Bowl XLVII champs.

It's going to be so much fun Sunday seeing all of the 2012 team and to hear Ozzie, Ray and ED. They are here now and will have a dinner tonight. I'm sure it's going to rub off on these 2022 Ravens.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, tsylvester said:

Hey VA, great take.

Let me say I do not disagree, but also, do not agree.

Take the 3 loses this year. With the caveat of getting some players back from injury who missed most if not all of last year.

This team was trouncing what some are calling the best team in the NFL, for 2 almost 3 quarters.

In the other two loses, this team was destroying the Phins, must like they did the Bill's, and held a 14+ point lead in another loss.

Yes, it's bad, yes, this team did what no other team did, blow double digit leads in each of their first six games and not have a winning record. Blah, blah, blah 😀

So what we know is that this defense, again, missing or getting players back who missed a lot of time due to injury, shut down, even for a half to three quarters, every team they faced this year.

This offense scored, driving 90+ yards, scoring quickly on one or two plays, in each of the games this year, including the 3 losses.

Now it is just a matter of building on those positive plays, capitalizing on the desperation of other teams being down by 14+ scores coming out of half time.

When/if they do, those 3 losses are turned to wins. With players who missed time due to injury last year back, and back to game speed, they are also building chemistry between them and their teammates. So that now, going forward, the play should be more consistent, both on defense and offense.

Lamar can be a 20-10 td/int quarterback, there is nothing wrong with those numbers. Perfect? No, no qb is, again, look at Roger's and his struggles this year, Wilson, etc.

Joe Montanna was never perfect, if he wad, they would have won far more Super Bowls. Even Brady, 18-0 going into the Super Bowl, (even though Rex Ryan screwed up a Ravens victory at the end), lost a Super Bowl, so they finished 18-1.

20-10, with a good run game, Stanley is back and in great form, and a solid defense, the line is getting healthier by the day, and this team can win consistently, 10-12 games every year Lamar is playing that well. That means playoffs more times than not.

Sure, we still need to see him play well in prime time, but tell me, how many Super Bowls has Roger's or Wilson won? How many did Manning or Marino win?

Are you saying you wouldn't want Roger's, or Marino in his prime? 2 Super Bowls combined over a combined 20+ years, hall of fame qbs...

To make those moves you need good coaching which we lack bigtime.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, vmax said:

It's the Lamar era and no way do I want to lose him. Ravens football is too much fun to watch, and they won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. Why not Lamar?

While trent was not super talented he was clutch when needed.  He was also a leader and I dont see any real player leaders on this team.