ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Foxworth getting better

vmax

“I think the stability and strength are feeling much better,” he said. “I think the quickness is coming more slowly. That’s a little frustrating, but I was able to make some good breaks today. I think the tough part is mentally, I’m back and probably better than I was before. I’m seeing routes and recognizing routes and route combinations better than I was before, and then I try to stick my leg in the ground and explode to get it. Sometimes it’s there, and sometimes it’s not. So it’s a little frustrating, but it’s better than it was, so I’m moving forward.”

The secondary is getting better too. We'll see Friday night if they have taken some forward steps.

“It’s not any concern to me,” Foxworth said. “I think it’s probably a bit cliché to say that all of our guys are capable, but I think it’s more true than it’s ever been. I think Cary could start, Jimmy’s super talented, Chris [Carr] has obviously shown that he can start, I have before, and Lardarius [Webb] has shown that he can do it. So we have lots of guys. I know that whatever is best for the team, I’m comfortable with doing.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/knee_and_morale_on_the_upswing_for_foxworth.html

Good to see he's on the mend. We need as much depth as possible. Fun fact - Supposedly he has the fourth highest cap number this year.

Over half of the salary cap is taken up by eight players. Ngata ($12.476M), Suggs ($10.02M), Ed Reed ($7.8M), Domonique Foxworth ($7.4M), Anquan Boldin ($7.28125M), Ray Lewis ($6.4M), Flacco ($5.725), and Jarret Johnson ($5.265M) take up $62.36725M of the team’s salary cap.

Good thing for Fox, but Ozzie overpaid big time.

How did we overpay? Foxworth showed je was capable of covering the leagues best guys 2 yrs ago, then he got hurt. He's the 10th highest paid CB in the NFL. there's only one guy that is better than Fox, that isn't getting paid as such, and that's Woodson. Woodson signed his contract what 3 or 4 yrs ago, and he's also on the wrong side of 30 for football.

I'm noticing alot of commemts statimg we overpaid for this guy and that guy, but we want the Ngata deal done yesterday. Perhaps Oz is trying to avoid just that scenario?

Lastly, if Oz is constantly overpaying guys, why do we keep winning, and why is Oz routinely recognized as a top 5 gm in this league?

How did we overpay? Foxworth showed je was capable of covering the leagues best guys 2 yrs ago, then he got hurt. He's the 10th highest paid CB in the NFL. there's only one guy that is better than Fox, that isn't getting paid as such, and that's Woodson. Woodson signed his contract what 3 or 4 yrs ago, and he's also on the wrong side of 30 for football.

I don't know what you were watching in 2009, but Foxworth was awful -the whole secondary was. Rivers lit us up for 400+, Favre and Sidney Rice lit him up. Santonio Holmes, Randy Moss in the regular season game.....it was ugly. I think he had two good games - against Brandon Marshall and against Moss in the playoffs.

In 2009, however, Baltimore’s secondary was a real problem. The Ravens allowed 300.5 yards per game – third best in the NFL – but the team’s 6.7 yards per attempt allowed and 31.3 first-down percentage through the air were decidedly average. That vulnerability really showed up against shotgun sets: On 385 attempts against them, the Ravens’ defense allowed 9.3 yards per play when teams ran shotgun, which was fifth worst in the NFL.

The difference showed up in advanced metrics as well. The Ravens had an outstanding -11.8 percent Defensive DVOA, Football Outsiders’ per-play efficiency metric, overall – but just -1.6 percent (much closer to league average) against shotgun offenses.

Cornerback Domonique Foxworth(notes), who came over from the Atlanta Falcons and signed a four-year, $27.3 million contract with $16.5 million guaranteed before the 2009 season, was the most obvious culprit. According to FO’s game-charting and play-by-play metrics, Foxworth finished tied for sixth worst in the NFL in first downs/touchdowns allowed in coverage with 33, and third in passing yards allowed in coverage with 794.

Foxworth is obviously smart and a good rep for the team, but he doesn't play like a Raven. He plays too far off of receivers - he always has since his Denver days. I remember Big Ben abusing him when he was with the Broncos in 2005 in the playoffs. After that they traded him to Atl for a 7th round pick (after drafting him with a 3rd). Atlanta gave up on him soon after and Ozzie signed him for that monstrous contract. It really came out of nowhere. I have followed Fox's career because I went to school with him. Super nice guy, and i'm happy for HIM that he got paid - but as a Ravens fan I think there is no doubt it was one of Ozzie's worst contracts.

I'm noticing alot of commemts statimg we overpaid for this guy and that guy, but we want the Ngata deal done yesterday. Perhaps Oz is trying to avoid just that scenario?

Lastly, if Oz is constantly overpaying guys, why do we keep winning, and why is Oz routinely recognized as a top 5 gm in this league?

You're asking the wrong person. I don't have a problem with Ozzie's contracts for Suggs, Ray, Boldin. I just think he overpaid Foxworth.

Last year was 2010, and Foxworth proved to be our #1 CB, and if you look at the top paid corners for 2010, you will be hard pressed to find anyone better that's getting paid less. Great CBs don't grow on trees. There are 9-10 guys better than Fox, but they're all getting paid as such.

Huh? Foxworth proved to be our #1 CB while sitting on the bench the entire year after tearing his ACL? He's played one season - 2009.

Also, I think you will find you are in the minority if you really think Foxworth is a top 10 CB. He is not even top 25 - he should have a contact more in line with Chris Carr

Ahh lol, u r right about years lol. Tell me who is better? I looked at the salaries, 10-15 are all getting paid about the same and they're all on the same level of play with the exception of charles woodson. Just a bunch of cbs that are good but not exceptional. After the top 15, it really falls off.

U need to be fair in an arguement, carr needs safety help everytime if he's playing as a 1 or 2 cb. Fox can cover w/o help. Is he revis, asi, or even asante? No. But as expwcted those CBs are getting paid better.

Ahh lol, u r right about years lol. Tell me who is better? I looked at the salaries, 10-15 are all getting paid about the same and they're all on the same level of play with the exception of charles woodson. Just a bunch of cbs that are good but not exceptional. After the top 15, it really falls off.

U need to be fair in an arguement, carr needs safety help everytime if he's playing as a 1 or 2 cb. Fox can cover w/o help. Is he revis, asi, or even asante? No. But as expwcted those CBs are getting paid better.

I am being completely fair. Like I said ask around or take a look around the internet. You won't find anyone that thinks Foxworth is a top 10 corner. You won't even find people that think he is top 20. I can name 25 better corners easy. Here are 23 right here

Then add Josh Wilson who played much better last year than Fox did in '09. Carlos Rogers, Nate Clements, Ike Taylor, Aqub Talib, Marcus Trufant. On the Ravens alone, Smith and Williams may end up being better by mid-season. I think Foxworth is a similar talent to Webb and Carr. #2 corner at best, a #3 on most teams...but he is getting paid like a #1

Just a wild guess...Fox may be around the 25th ranked CB IMO.

He's starting material on most teams.

He doesn't stink, but he doesn't excell....I'd say he's 'fairly' solid.

I thought Wilson was better but Ozzie over paid for Foxworth because he was over a barrell at that time.

When 'alls said and done', if it's my team, Foxworth is the #2 corner. He's good for that.

Just a wild guess...Fox may be around the 25th ranked CB IMO.

He's starting material on most teams.

He doesn't stink, but he doesn't excell....I'd say he's 'fairly' solid.

I thought Wilson was better but Ozzie over paid for Foxworth because he was over a barrell at that time.

When 'alls said and done', if it's my team, Foxworth is the #2 corner. He's good for that.

:thumbup:

I'll just disagree because I think after the first 7 or so corners in this league, the rest all have glaring weaknesses in one form or fashion. And, to top it off, they're all getting paid very close to each other. It's not like #20 is getting paid half of what #10 is getting paid. They're all very close in terms of money. We fall in love with others because we see em on sportscenter, but if they were on this team we'd be all over em saying they're no better than Fox! Seen it a thousand times. People always think the other guys are better when they only see the highlights. It's not like ESPN is gonna show how many times Trufant gets beat in coverage. If he's so good, why doesn't the defense excel moe against pass coverage? My point being is, that the field is much more level at corner than most people think. Lastly Ike excels cuz of Pitt. Put him on another team and people will be screaming. He's on par as are several others.