ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It's Official: Lamar asked for a trade

GrubberRaven

11 hours ago, tsylvester said:

If he doesn't play, nothing is lost for the Ravens. What, should they just trade him for a bag of peanuts?

All that happens is they tag him again and start this all over again.

Don't be the Packers and cave in because no one is currently interested. Yes it would be great to get that first round pick this year, they still  might if the Colts don't get their pick at 4. The draft will have some team moving toward Lamar, even if those picks come next year and into 25.

But this team must get a better back up behind Huntley, Brown is not much better than Huntley, and there is surely someone better than Huntley out there..

No you extract what you can from him.  The problem with your idea with the colts is they have to have the cap room ready to take Lamar on that night in the draft and Lamar has to have a deal worked out with them.  That takes alot more time than seeing who was picked before you.

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Nope, they would just carry over the cap money from this year if he doesn't play. So just roughly what, $12.mil extra next year.

Actually thats not true.  It wouldnt be the 2nd yr on the cap.  If he doesnt sign his tender he doesnt get credit for the season.  Who was the guy who held out ad signed his tender like week 9 and played the least 7 games or so to get credit for the yr?

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

I know that this is a basketball player, but allow me to make this point.

Wowza! Ever wonder why Lamar has not had endorsement deals like this? Or even a quarter of this?

Sure, he is not exactly a top star like Curry is, but papa, we talked on this subject before, with the MVP of football, the exciting way Lamar plays, one would think, especially with Under Armor being a Baltimore based company, that he could land something, no?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/02/does-lamar-jackson-have-the-endorsement-deals-that-a-player-of-his-status-should/

I posed that Lamar might not want to be under the thumb of those companies and the rules that follow for endorsement deals. But 1 BILLION, yeah, I'll bark like a dog if they want me to for that amount of money.

It isn't just the NFL contracts he might not understand,... it isn't just the Ravens, the other owners who are staying away from him, that post to the fan would have cost him some serious cash from an endorsement deal...

There is no doubt he has left so much on the table.  I dont see it as not wanting companies looking at him.  He just doesnt know how to set up a deal like that.

14 hours ago, tsylvester said:

They could have a deal in place with the Ravens & Lamar that if x player is not there, then we do the deal. If he is, deal is off.

True.  But they would have to move a lot of money around in advance no matter what they do.  That can get them in cap issues and may not need to.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya know, when I was a kid, if I chose not to eat the meal my mother cooked, I went hungry. When my kids demanded a certain meal for dinner, they got what we cooked or went hungry. I guess Lamar never got the message...

According to NFL insider Michael Lombardi, Lamar Jackson has told the Baltimore Ravens to acquire both Odell Beckham Jr. and Hopkins before he will continue contract negotiations with the team. 

"I was told reliably by somebody who's involved that Lamar told them in a conversation, 'get Hopkins and get Beckham, and then we can talk.' The club went back to them and said look, we can't get Hopkins and Beckham. We just can't afford both, but we'll get one of them - and they got Beckham," Lombardi said on his podcast, The Lombardi Line.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/lamar-jackson-gives-baltimore-ravens-ultimatum-trade-arizona-cardinals-deandre-hopkins