ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Free Agents

oldno82

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this year will tell the tale, he will be well set in Todd's system, study film to see what defenses are doing. With Henry, the backers will have to step up, or freeze in place for a beat which should open the middle up more, a place Lamar is most accurate and where Bateman & Flowers flourish

I think Henry is a bad investment.  When is that timebomb on those legs going off?

Lamar can spend a lifetime in Monks system.  The issue is he was not taught a skill when he was young to be patient and go through  the progressions.  Its 1 2 run.  Last yr he even tried to go past that and he just couldn't.

I'm fine with his running for the most part. He just got caught trying to do too much and either would not run when he should have, holding the ball too long, getting sacked.

Or

He would just focus in the pocket on one side of the field for so long, he would get sacked.

The part I agree with you on is his pocket awareness, which sucks. It has led to him being sacked, fumbling, quite often. Just a slight move up or over would not only give his linemen a chance to move their men past him, or keep the strip sack from happening.

27 is young enough to still improve, but as each year goes by it is more and more difficult to change. He did show strides of improvement last year as well as some foot-dragging at other times. IF he gets adequate protection this year, I think then we'll know if he is going to progress as a passer to the next level. 

My biggest concern though with Lamar is can he get his timing down on the deep ball to open receivers? We left some deep gains on the field last year because he had trouble timing his throws to receivers who had a full stride on the defender, but the ball was overthrown.

I think the ability is there for him to do that physically, but has this become a psychological roadblock for him?

59 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

There were signs last year that he was slowing down his reads and going through them in a timely manner. Sure, they were few and far between but I believe he will get better this year

How much of it was teams not having tape on the new offense?  As is a player who is 6 yrs in he reverted back to bad habits.  

12 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

27 is young enough to still improve, but as each year goes by it is more and more difficult to change. He did show strides of improvement last year as well as some foot-dragging at other times. IF he gets adequate protection this year, I think then we'll know if he is going to progress as a passer to the next level. 

My biggest concern though with Lamar is can he get his timing down on the deep ball to open receivers? We left some deep gains on the field last year because he had trouble timing his throws to receivers who had a full stride on the defender, but the ball was overthrown.

I think the ability is there for him to do that physically, but has this become a psychological roadblock for him?  As for accuracy you have it or don’t.  Also Lamar has Joe in him.  Unless he sees you open you aren’t so the ball comes out late and he really has to fling it to get it there.

At that age you are usually set in your ways.  

Teams only need a few games, tapes, to adjust to the nee offenses they face.

As for as facing Lamar, they played him the same way, 0 blitz on key downs, tight man coverage sprinkled with match up zones, flood the middle of the field with deep lineback drops on key downs. They play Lamar, not so much the offense, limit his running force him to pass.

How did that work this past year? He won another MVP.

The only thing to really stop him, in the playoffs, was him; he got too stuck in trying to do too much in the passing game.

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

The only thing to really stop him, in the playoffs, was him; he got too stuck in trying to do too much in the passing game.

Succinctly put and spot on.