ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thats the Matt Ryan we all know

cravnravn

I don't like it.

Rookie QB and rookie HC, favorites on the road...lose.

I actually like it a lot. This will finally prove what I've been saying all along... that Flacco has had a better season than Matt Ryan. (or at least equal)

Haha...I see certain people chose now to come out of hiding. How convenient!

I actually like it a lot. This will finally prove what I've been saying all along... that Flacco has had a better season than Matt Ryan. (or at least equal)

Of course you would say that...you don't want to have to admit that you were wrong.

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate

1 Matt Ryan ATL QB 265 434 61.1 27.1 3,440 7.9 215.0 16 11 157 36.2 70T 45 9 17 87.7

2 Joe Flacco BAL QB 257 428 60.0 26.8 2,971 6.9 185.7 14 12 143 33.4 70T 37 10 32 80.3

Of all of those stats, only one (passes of 40+ yds) does Joe come out on top. Now I understand that stats don't tell the whole story...but they give a pretty good indication.

Some people just want to ignore the facts. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe a lot, but Matt had the better season.

Haha...I see certain people chose now to come out of hiding. How convenient!

Of course you would say that...you don't want to have to admit that you were wrong.

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate

1 Matt Ryan ATL QB 265 434 61.1 27.1 3,440 7.9 215.0 16 11 157 36.2 70T 45 9 17 87.7

2 Joe Flacco BAL QB 257 428 60.0 26.8 2,971 6.9 185.7 14 12 143 33.4 70T 37 10 32 80.3

Of all of those stats, only one (passes of 40+ yds) does Joe come out on top. Now I understand that stats don't tell the whole story...but they give a pretty good indication.

Some people just want to ignore the facts. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe a lot, but Matt had the better season.

who has the better qb rating on the road? Who has a top 10 wideout and a top 5 rb? Who came from D1AA school? Flacco had the best season, he overcame more and had less to work with on offense. Plus he played the best defenses in the league week in and week out.

who has the better qb rating on the road?
Okay...Flacco played better on the road. That means that Ryan played that much better than Flacco at home.

Who has a top 10 wideout....?
And he was considered a bust until this year. Not saying that he became a top 10 wideout because of Ryan...but Ryan had a little something to do with it. And Flacco had a veteran WR in Mason and a veteran tight end in Heap. Ryan didn't have any veteran receivers other than his #4 receiver.

Who has a ...top 5 rb?
Sure...but the Falcons only average 4.2 more rushing yards/game than the Ravens...that's pretty negligable. So that argument only slightly favors Flacco.

Who came from D1AA school?
And that's a mighty fine accomplishment...he certainly had more to "learn" on the fly than Matt. I will give you that. But Matt also had the pressure of helping to turn around an organization that was an utter disgrace.

I noticed that you made no mention of the fact that Matt had to play on a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL...Joe had one of the best.

Flacco had the best season, he overcame more and had less to work with on offense.

I know that I am not going to change your mind on this...so I won't argue with your conclusion.

Okay, my turn!

And he (Roddy White) was considered a bust until this year. Not saying that he became a top 10 wideout because of Ryan...but Ryan had a little something to do with it.

And Flacco had a veteran WR in Mason and a veteran tight end in Heap. Ryan didn't have any veteran receivers other than his #4 receiver.

Anyone who plays fantasy football knows that Roddy White actually had a decent year last year, without Ryan at QB. Specifically, Roddy White had 83 catches for 1202 yards and 6 TD without Ryan. And Michael Jenkins had 53 catches for 532 yards and 4 TD in 2007. As a matter of fact, Roddy White is so good that he made Chris Redman look like a decent quarterback. Seeing as how 2007 was Roddy's 3rd season, which is generally considered the year that WR's break out, how exactly was he considered a bust?

Once again, White's stats:

2007: 83 catches, 1202 yards, 6 TD (with Joey Harrington and Chris Redman)

2008: 88 catches, 1383 yards, 7 TD (with Matt Ryan)

So a 4th year WR coming off a 1200 yard season is still not considered a veteran? Really?

Sure...but the Falcons only average 4.2 more rushing yards/game than the Ravens...that's pretty negligable. So that argument only slightly favors Flacco.

4.2 more yards/game on 2 fewer carries per game. And if it weren't for those two consecutive 70+ yard runs against Dallas, these numbers wouldn't be nearly this close. The fact of the matter is that Michael Turner had 1700 yards rushing for Atlanta, and Baltimore's top three rushers barely equal this mark. Were it not for those two Dallas runs, Turner would still be way ahead of all three.

And that's a mighty fine accomplishment...he certainly had more to "learn" on the fly than Matt. I will give you that. But Matt also had the pressure of helping to turn around an organization that was an utter disgrace.

And Flacco had the pressure of turning around an offense that hasn't had real success since Vinny Testaverde wore a Ravens uniform. I challenge you to name a more-maligned position in the NFL than Raven's quarterback over the last decade.

Not only did Ryan come into the NFL from a pro-style offense and as a higher draft pick, but he knew early on that he would be the starter in Atlanta. Flacco was never meant to take a snap this season, but was forced into the lineup when the #1 and #2 QB went down in the preseason.

I noticed that you made no mention of the fact that Matt had to play on a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL...Joe had one of the best.

Neither of these quarterbacks play defense. Most of the QB's with the best stats play on teams with terrible defenses. (Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, Kurt Warner to name a few...) Why could this be?

The only way the defense matters is if you're referring to the fact that Flacco played in an offense designed to protect the ball and control the clock rather than score a huge amount of points, whereas Ryan's coaches called plays to score as many points as possible to make up for a poor defense.

Also worth mentioning is that Flacco averaged twice as many yards per carry as Ryan and 2 rushing TD's to Ryan's 1. Flacco's rushing is a big part of his game, and cannot be overlooked.