ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Title game story lines

ravinmaniac52

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aj1M...o&type=lgns

Can the Steelers pull off the three-peat?

How many times will somebody stupidly say, “It’s hard for one team to beat another three times in one season?” That’s one of the most roundly held, yet mistaken, clichés in the history of the league. There have been 18 situations since 1970 in which a team has attempted to complete a three-game season sweep, 11 resulting in three-peats. Why the high success rate? As former NFL quarterback Drew Bledsoe once said, “It usually means that team is better.”

Is the Pittsburgh offense for real?

The Steelers’ victory over San Diego on Sunday was a blueprint of how they play at their best. They had the running game going (165 total yards, including 146 by Willie Parker) and they used the deep-passing game effectively. As impressive as that was, however, it’s the most points they have scored in a game since Oct. 19 against Cincinnati and the Steelers were pretty much awful with the running game (ranking 23rd) during the regular season. If Parker is as healthy as he looked Sunday, the Steelers could roll.

Is this game really the de facto Super Bowl

Can the winner start designing their Super Bowl rings right away? That was the popular sentiment last season when New England beat San Diego to set up the game against the Giants and we all saw how that turned out. Expect that the winner of this game will be the favorite and expect that the Steelers will have a lot of money riding on them if they get to the Super Bowl. But all you have to do is look back at Philadelphia’s 15-6 win over the Steelers on Sept. 21 to realize this could be an interesting Super Bowl. The Eagles finished with nine sacks (including one of Byron Leftwich) and simply punished Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger that day.

I'm confident that we would destroy the Eagles in the Super Bowl. But Arizona? Wuh oh. We can't even stop Justin Gage, no less Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be picking Baltimore over Arizona if it comes to that... So....

Go Eagles! For our sake.

First, we would run all over Arizona. Second, Arizona is at a disadvantage because you know they do not run the ball. We would blitz from the beginning, and Warner is a stone in the pocket. When Warner does not get protection, that offense falls apart very quickly. Honestly, it would be no different than playing an offense like Dallas.

First, we would run all over Arizona. Second, Arizona is at a disadvantage because you know they do not run the ball. We would blitz from the beginning, and Warner is a stone in the pocket. When Warner does not get protection, that offense falls apart very quickly. Honestly, it would be no different than playing an offense like Dallas.

Arizona doesn't run the ball? They just had 37 rushes against Carolina, and ran well against Atlanta as well. But even if they don't run...that's actually worse for us, because they throw to their RB's out of the backfield (which we struggle with apparently) Warner also has one of the quickest releases of any QB in NFL history. He would carve us up if we blitz him. Sure, we could run on them, but when the game is 21-3, it's going to be tough to hand the ball off to McClain over and over.

Maybe you guys haven't been watching Arizona these last few games... trust me, we don't want any part of them.

Good point on the screen passes and passes into the flat, we do have trouble covering them, however over all we just have more talent and we're a deeper team than Arizona.

Deeper? I wouldn't go that far. We're not exactly the pinnacle of depth at this point, when our third receiver is a rookie, our corners are a bunch of backups, and... well, you know the rest... Maybe we were deeper before we had 20+ guys on IR, but at this point I'm surprised we have enough guys to field a team every week.

I wish people would stop talking about how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in the same season. Someone already pointed out that 11 of the 17 times it has been possible, the team DID take the 3-0 sweep. That means that 65% of the time it DOES happen. That doesn't make it 'hard' to do; it makes it probable.

The Pittsburgh offense woke up against a shitty D.

You can't use a soft team like the Chargers as a measuring stick.

Try the Titans as a common opponent. A couple of weeks ago the Stealers only put up 14 points on the Titans while giving up 31.