ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

DeCosta Sought by 4 Teams

vmax

Our FO is always being raided lol. Funny though, have any of them really succeeded outside of Oz?

He who went to Atlanta (sorry, forgotten his name) seems to be doing well.

Update: Lionel Vital was the guy.

Edited by Dunno

We've really got to hold on to DaCosta. I have a suspicion he's the real brains of the drafting behind the Ravens' success plus he's been working with the team since it got started. We need him. I think he wants to be here. Its up to Bisciotti.

The original articles from The Sun, however biased they may be, make it sound like DeCosta really wants to stay and plans to unless he is absolutely overwhelmed. From a professional standpoint, he's only 40 and is pretty much being promised our GM job when Ozzie steps down - to be in charge of an organization with the track record we've been amassing would be hard to walk away from. On top of that, I think we're the only team he's ever worked for. And lastly, they cite his family and community connections - it would probably be pretty hard to convince them to move across the country if the same job is laying in wait here soon enough...

We've really got to hold on to DaCosta. I have a suspicion he's the real brains of the drafting behind the Ravens' success plus he's been working with the team since it got started. We need him. I think he wants to be here. Its up to Bisciotti.

People are always trying to take credit from Ozzie and give it to the guys that work for him. Everyone said this about Phil Savage too. What's Phil doing now? The man who has been in charge since the team's inception is the real brains behind the Ravens' success, and that's Ozzie Newsome. If Ozzie is leaving soon then I'm sure Bisciotti will make sure Decosta stays. If Ozzie is going to hang around for a while, then Eric will be free to go elsewhere and we can find another guy to assign all the credit for Ozzie's success.

The problem for DeCosta must be projecting when Ozzie will step down. Ozzie is about to turn 56 so it's not like he is in a rush to retire. I could see Ozzie doing at least another 4 years before he moves back to Bama or retires. Can DeCosta wait that long?

People are always trying to take credit from Ozzie and give it to the guys that work for him. Everyone said this about Phil Savage too. What's Phil doing now? The man who has been in charge since the team's inception is the real brains behind the Ravens' success, and that's Ozzie Newsome. If Ozzie is leaving soon then I'm sure Bisciotti will make sure Decosta stays. If Ozzie is going to hang around for a while, then Eric will be free to go elsewhere and we can find another guy to assign all the credit for Ozzie's success.

Of course Ozzie deserves credit. He's the guy who hires and fires guys like DaCosta. He's also pretty good on draft day...I think he and DaCosta make an excellent team and Eric will take over when Oz retires. Thats the goal I'm shooting for. And it looks like we might have got it. :thumbup:

Phil Savage is also the reason you cannot credit Ozzie alone, but must not forget to credit the people who provide him with information.

The drafts leading up to Savage's departure for Cleveland are probably the worst in Raven's history. I am sort of reminded of the old saying, Garbage in - Garbage out.

Ozzie is great at taking the information and making a decision, but if the scouting info is terrible, well, so are his draft decisions.

Recently, I think the drafts have been excellent, a result based on the scouting information obtained, which I credit primarily to the people doing the information gathering.

Of course, all the information gathering in the world is useless if the guy at the end making the decision can't sift through all the info and make a good choice (see Matt Millen).

Ozzie is clearly very very good at his, very crucial, role, but the credit can not be his alone.