ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

McGahee Okay

ForceEight

Fantastic news.

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Willis McGahee joined his teammates Monday at Baltimore's training complex after doctors told him he would make a full recovery from a fierce helmet-to-helmet hit in the AFC Championship Game that had him carted off the field.

"I'm all right. Everything is OK," the running back told reporters as the Ravens cleared out their lockers. "The MRI and the CAT scan checked out good. I was scared, but I didn't know how serious it was. It was pretty intense."

The play occurred in the fourth quarter of Pittsburgh's 23-14 victory. McGahee had just caught a pass and taken two steps before being met by safety Ryan Clark, who drove his helmet into McGahee's facemask. McGahee's head snapped back, and he lost the ball as he dropped to the ground.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008...tory?id=3844665

Great news, glad he and the other guy are ok.

Still do not understand why no flag?

There will be a fine.

I do not think the hit was malicious. As a football player, you react to where the ball is going. Clark started sprinting when he saw where Flacco was throwing the ball. McGahee was also at full speed and they just happened to be in line for a head on collision. There was nothing either player could have done, at that point it was a train crash. Clark did not spear through him, they both kind of bounced off of each other. The hit was completely incidental in that respect.

Maybe you should watch that video one more time thundercleetz. Clearly that was a dirty hit helmet to helmet no doubt about it and Clark even left the ground so he could spear McGahee. There should be a huge fine and I cant stand how people call a H2H hit "unavoidable" or a "big hit" it is dirty, unsafe and cheap. I know the nfl is cracking down (poor choice of words) on big hits and everyone wants to cry when their player is knocked out ny a legal shot but horse collars and H2H have to go. Perfect example of a big hit look back at the titans game when Ray laid the wood to the Titans TE and compare that clean hit to this bs by clark.

...it wasn't dirty.

...it wasn't helmet to helmet.

Be objective, please? You'd be on the other side of the argument (as you appear to be) if a Raven was making that hit.

It was def helmet to helmet and I'm talking from a football fan (not a raven standpt). It wasn't a dirty hit per se, but alot of hits aren't dirty (its football). Ask Mark Carrier, he was flagged for many helmet to helmet hits doesn't mean he was a dirty player. It should have been a flag, Clark wanted to hit willis hard, but he led with his helmet. His helmet is what hurt Willis, which is why it should have been a penalty.

It was def helmet to helmet and I'm talking from a football fan (not a raven standpt). It wasn't a dirty hit per se, but alot of hits aren't dirty (its football). Ask Mark Carrier, he was flagged for many helmet to helmet hits doesn't mean he was a dirty player. It should have been a flag, Clark wanted to hit willis hard, but he led with his helmet. His helmet is what hurt Willis, which is why it should have been a penalty.

No, it shouldn't have. For that hit to have been helmet-to-helmet, the defender would have to aim his helmet directly at the helmet/facemask of the ball carrier. He did not; you can very clearly see that he was aiming to lead with his shoulder into McGahee's chest. McGahee attempted to get lower to brace for the hit, and ended up with his helmet directly in the path of the projectile that was Clark's. Clark had absolutely no intention of hitting McGahee with his helmet whatsoever, let alone hitting McGahee in HIS helmet.

As far as the rules are concerned, that is NOT a penalty.

No, it shouldn't have. For that hit to have been helmet-to-helmet, the defender would have to aim his helmet directly at the helmet/facemask of the ball carrier. He did not; you can very clearly see that he was aiming to lead with his shoulder into McGahee's chest. McGahee attempted to get lower to brace for the hit, and ended up with his helmet directly in the path of the projectile that was Clark's. Clark had absolutely no intention of hitting McGahee with his helmet whatsoever, let alone hitting McGahee in HIS helmet.

Agreed.

Disagree, helmet to helmet contact is helmet to helmet. Whether he did it on purpose doesn't matter.

From the rulebook...Nfl.com

1. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.

2. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

The hit bu clark can fall under both of these rules. He used the top of his helmet to hit willis. He also tackled through willis with his helmet. First thing he hit was Willis facemask with his helmet.