ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Rice wants AP Type Money

cravnravn

3. Ray Rice might be disappointed. I'm hearing Rice wants an Adrian Peterson-type of contract; Peterson signed a seven-year deal worth up to $100 million last September, with the major provision that he'll make $40 million in the first three years. I don't see the Ravens doing that for Rice. I see them, if they can't do a new deal, using the reasonable franchise tag of $7.7 million for running backs on Rice. I'm sensing the Ravens really want Rice back, but the Ravens have too many great players to sign to go nuts on him. Even though they paid Haloti Ngata $12.2 million a year on a five-year contract in September, I don't see them going anywhere near that for Rice -- and certainly not in the Peterson league. Baltimore usually finds a way to sign the players it really wants to sign, and I know it wants to keep Rice.

[/left]

See, I think Rice is better than both Johnson and AP. Those two are far more one dimensional than Rice. And with AP, you get the fumbles. If AP knew what it was to go down, the Vikes would have played in a Super Bowl. Instead, Brees got his. As far as Johnson, it was obvious how in shape and dedicated to football he is. I would compare Rice to hard working all around guys like Jones-Drew and Arian Foster. Foster may not be the receiving threat, but he's money in the pass protection department. Forte is another good all around back that doesn't get the recognition.

Don't get me wrong, I think AP and CJ are great talents, I just view them as one dimensional. They don't catch well and they don't pass block well.

See, I think Rice is better than both Johnson and AP. Those two are far more one dimensional than Rice. And with AP, you get the fumbles. If AP knew what it was to go down, the Vikes would have played in a Super Bowl. Instead, Brees got his. As far as Johnson, it was obvious how in shape and dedicated to football he is. I would compare Rice to hard working all around guys like Jones-Drew and Arian Foster. Foster may not be the receiving threat, but he's money in the pass protection department. Forte is another good all around back that doesn't get the recognition.

Don't get me wrong, I think AP and CJ are great talents, I just view them as one dimensional. They don't catch well and they don't pass block well.

I definitely wouldn't call Chris Johnson one-dimensional...unless you consider game-breaking ability a single dimension... the guy catches a ton of passes for the position.

Rice catches more than he probably should because of the offense we run, and the fact that Joe checks down to him probably more than he should (and partially because of shaky pass-protection over the years)

Agreed on MJD. That guy is phenomenal, and could possibly be the top runner in the league based on what he did this year with the worst quarterback in the league.

AP is useless on 3rd downs, he cant catch, he comes out on 3rd downs..

I'll take Rice any day over AP, just not sure hes worth the 100 mil or not.

I don't know about all of that, but I do know I'd want a guy like AP to close out a game in the 4th quarter with a lead.

Something that, ironically, the Vikings struggled mightily with this season.

This is just rumor. When I hear Rice say it then I'll say tag him for the next 2 years.

Johnson had 1 great season and then sucked.

7 years for $100 million shows how stupid the Vikings are...his knees are going already, he fumbles and can't catch. AP is great...no doubt, but he's not worth that kind of money. He got it because he's the only drawing card star they have.

Ray's the best all around RB in the NFL......

I'm not trying to slight Rice because he was the most valuable player in the AFC North last season. Over the past two seasons (including playoffs), the Ravens are 21-2 (.913) when Rice gets at least 20 touches. Rice also produced an NFL-best 2,068 total yards and set a team record with 15 touchdowns. He became the second player in NFL history to produce multiple seasons of 1,000 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving (Marshall Faulk was the other). Basically, Rice is really, really good.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42628/ray-rice-wont-get-peterson-type-deal

Baring injury he should have at least 3 more monster seasons the way the Ravens use him...then the decline.

I don't know about all of that, but I do know I'd want a guy like AP to close out a game in the 4th quarter with a lead.

Something that, ironically, the Vikings struggled mightily with this season.

You didn't see the Vikings Saints playoff game. AP can't close out a game because he's a turnover waiting to happen. Yes he's gifted. Yes he's a beast. But when a team has a lead, they absolutely should not be giving the ball to AP. He'll squander it in a heartbeat. He refuses to go down too often. If he was smarter about when he chose to fight for extra yards I'd bet his fumbles would be reduced drastically.

Chris Johnson is no more a home run threat than Ray Rice. (Referring to the other thing we were talking about) Johnson I'm sure is faster, but Rice has definitely broken his share of big runs and with a significant less amount of carries. I just want to be clear, I'm not saying AP or Johnson suck, it's just that they have some weaknesses that prevent them from being top backs in the NFL. Once Johnson loses his explosive speed he'll quickly be out of the NFL. He doesn't have great vision like LaDanian or incredible moves. He bounces everything outside. He's got one running gear. AP on the other hand, this guy has good moves, insane power, and breakaway speed. Everything you look for in a RB. He glaring deficiency is that he puts the ball on the ground in important situations. It's not just that he fumbles, but he fumbles at critical junctures of games.

Guys like McCoy, Rice, and MJD, do it all. Great vision, can catch, good moves, speed, instincts, protect the ball, and can pass block.