ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Suggs may have torn achilles

Seen on the ticker on madden he could lose money over this butit didn't say how do yinz know

Yup, Suggs is in jeopardy of losing serious money.

The applicable wording in the CBA, Article 20, Section 3 provision states: "A player who is placed on a Nonfootball injury or Illness list ("N-F/I") is not entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list ..."

Both players have claimed they were injured during off-site training sessions, but league and union sources agree that any injury sustained that does not occur at the team's facility or under its direction is considered a "Nonfootball injury."

Suggs' case appears slightly more complicated because he has a partially torn Achilles and has said he believes he will return by October or shortly thereafter. If he were placed on the PUP list when the season begins, he would be required to miss at least the first six games. It is conceivable the Ravens could not pay him those six game checks from his $4.9 million base salary.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7937529/baltimore-ravens-terrell-suggs-philadelphia-eagles-jason-peters-forfeit-millions

The team has acknowledged he was working out. Also there is a bball court at the castle.

So my letting old players go who have outlived their value to get younger would distroy the lockerroom but taking money from a guy who is in the middle of his big payday deal is just business. Please show me how that works?

You're saying Suggs is old? I differ with that, you have to have a nucleus of young and old to be successful..Picksburgh is a fine example.

Is there any linebacker out there that can play the position better than Ray Lewis, right now? I doubt it, even with his "lost steps" in coverage, there is not another backer out there that plays the game like Ray at this level.

I do not see them doing it. That is a very bad precident to set in the lockerroom. He was working out to be ready for the season.

http://espn.go.com/n...ain-report-says

Jason Peters reinjures his achilles. He wasn't even healed form the first repture.

If the Ravens did this, they would fall quite a bit in my esteem. I think and hope they're too classy to sink to the level of withholding checks.

They won't take money from him.

I'm so glad they signed Suggs. Part of being a Raven fan...part of the joy...has been the opportunity to watch great players on the team I support.

really...I'm not shelling out the money and time I spend on football to watch the Browns roster.

In the losing seasons I still could enjoy the on field performances of Ray, Reed, JO, Heap, McAlister....how about Woodson, Sharpe, Goose, Adams, Jamal

Watching Suggs has been great...watching Kruger? Not the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/31/ravens-holding-out-hope-suggs-can-make-late-return-this-season/

Terrell Suggs has been insistent that he’ll be a productive member of the Ravens defense this season despite a partial tear of his Achilles tendon.

The Ravens don’t share Suggs’ confidence in his ability to defy medical science, but Don Banks of SI.com reports that they are holding out hope that he can contribute something to the team before the year is out. The Ravens hope that Suggs can return as a situational pass rusher in the final weeks of the regular season, something that would give them quite a boost in the playoff race they expect to be participating in this year.

Banks acknowledges that many people would find such a development “borderline miraculous” and the Ravens seem to be approaching things along similar lines. Hoping isn’t the same as planning, after all, and the Ravens are moving forward as if Suggs won’t be part of the mix for them this year. Their plan is contingent on steps forward from other players on the team.

“If you look at our record without a Ray Lewis over the last how many years, or an Ed Reed, we do pretty well,” said Ravens Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta. “This is going to be a major hurdle for us. But sometimes an injury like this is really good for your team at the beginning of a year, because it forces players to emerge. It forces it. And someone’s going to have to emerge for us to be a good defense.”

Paul Kruger and Courtney Upshaw will likely get the first chances to emerge for Baltimore this season with players like Pernell McPhee, Arthur Jones and Sergio Kindle also in position to earn time coming off the edge for the Ravens. None of them figure to be as significant a contributor as Suggs, but their combined impact could help the Ravens survive long enough to find out if they believe in miracles.

This is a Ravens club with a history of playing suffocating defense for more than a decade now, and that mindset is not evaporating in the wake of one injury, no matter how far-reaching the potential impact. A month after Suggs went down, the reality of his absence has set in, but so far there's no sign that Baltimore's stiff upper lip will disappear too.

"The defensive locker room has so much pride, so much tradition and history, it's almost ingrained in them,'' Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta said Wednesday, after Baltimore's latest session of OTAs (organized team activities). "Other guys understand how to pick up the slack, and we've done that at various times before.

"If you look at our record without a Ray Lewis over the last how many years, or an Ed Reed, we do pretty well. This is going to be a major hurdle for us. But sometimes an injury like this is really good for your team at the beginning of a year, because it forces players to emerge. It forces it. And someone's going to have to emerge for us to be a good defense.''

A check of the record confirms the cause of DeCosta's confidence. In the first four seasons of the John Harbaugh coaching era, the Ravens are an impressive 10-4 when their lineup is missing future Hall of Fame defenders Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. In the past two seasons alone, Baltimore has gone 4-0 without Lewis (2011), their all-world middle linebacker, and 4-2 without Reed (2010), their ball-hawking safety.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/05/30/ravens/index.html#ixzz1wgUfSC5t

I was hoping he might come out of the woodwork and contribute. The guy hasn't played football in 3 years...this should be it for his career.

You would think.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/04/terrell-suggs-im-going-to-shock-a-lot-of-people/

Terrell Suggs isn’t coming close to backing down on his pledge to be back on the field for the Ravens this year.

Nowhere close, as a matter of fact. Suggs might even be pushing more of his chips into the center of the table. Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun spoke to Suggs and the 2011 Defensive Player of the Year said that late November would be the latest he’d be back from his Achilles injury.

“I’m going to shock a lot of people when I’m coming out of that tunnel,” Suggs said. “I’m in a boot already working on flexibility, getting back that range of motion. Next week, we’re going to start a little walking and working side to side. I won’t say I’m ahead of schedule, but I’m a lot better than I, the doctors and rehab therapist thought. I kept telling people it wasn’t as bad as some people made it out to be.”

Suggs also suggested that the injury came as a result of pushing himself too hard too early in the offseason. There has been talk that the Ravens could try to get some money back from Suggs because he was working out away from the team’s facility, but Suggs said he’s heard nothing of what he termed “petty gossip.”

The Ravens share Suggs’ hopeful outlook about a 2012 return although it is far too early to know if Suggs will be proven correct.

"I'm going to shock a lot of people when I'm coming out of that tunnel," Suggs, the Ravens' Pro Bowl hybrid outside linebacker, said Sunday night. "I'm in a boot already working on flexibility, getting back that range of motion. Next week, we're going to start a little walking and working side to side.

"I won't say I'm ahead of schedule, but I'm a lot better than I, the doctors and rehab therapist thought. I kept telling people it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be."

Asked if he was still scheduled to make it back before his predicted time frame at the end of November, Suggs didn't back off.

"Late November, that will be the latest I return," said Suggs, who might opt for some healing time in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. "Going into the chamber is an option, it certainly can't hurt. I can take an iPad and iPod in there and spend a few hours a day. It can only help the healing process."

............Suggs said of Pees, formerly of the New England Patriots. "Whoever our coordinator has been, they always brought different things to the table, but nothing that changed us dramatically. One of the things Pees has that the other coordinators didn't have is the ring. He has been to the big game five times and has three rings."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-0605-20120604,0,3039895.column

ox281254801498358295.jpg