ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Nothing New Here

vmax

There's nothing new in this analysis that Ravens fans haven't beat to death on message boards, but it does deserve to be brought up again. If the Ravens are to have a top 10 passing offense [19th last season], then the change has to be made here.

I recently saw someone reopen the case against Cam Cameron on a Ravens message board. The thread referenced an interview with NFL Films guru Greg Cosell between the Ravens’ two playoff games last season. Having heard of this, but not actually having heard it before, I gave a listen.

Cosell barely mentions Cameron by name, but he doesn’t have to. It’s all about the Ravens’ unimaginative offense, so obviously he’s pointing the finger at the offensive coordinator. Here’s some of what Cosell said in the interview on SiriusXM:

*“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group of receivers unable to win against man coverage more than this group of receivers.”

*“When you watch the Ravens … play after play, you feel like you’re watching an offense from the ’60s. Every play, there’s one wide receiver to the left, there’s one wide receiver to the right.”

*“They run all isolation routes. They do nothing with bunch concepts, stack-release concepts, rub elements. Nothing to help their receivers win against man coverage.”

*“It’s an incredibly predictable offense from a personnel and play-calling standpoint. It’s not a difficult offense to defend.”

*“It’s a very difficult offense for a quarterback to be constantly successful. … [Joe Flacco] rarely has anywhere to throw the football.”

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/football-baltimore-ravens/ravens-talk/Recalling-case-against-Cameron?blockID=722308&feedID=6703

"Finally somebodys open!"

ravens-rams2pg-vertical.jpg

[quote name='papasmurfbell' timestamp='1339420551' post='41076']
No that was last yr. He was under fire then. He did perform then and still got to stay.
[/quote]

We won our division, had a bye, had a home playoff game..Yeah it was Cams fault Evans dropped the pass, yeah it was Cams fault Cundiff shanked a 30 yard field goal.

I try not to dwell on the negative, every good team throws a clunker, we decided to throw 3 of them. And in those 3 games you mentioned, those were team efforts, go after Pags as well..You could see that against those 3 the attitude was ho-hum, we are here put it in the win column, from both sides of the ball..Our D made Gabbert look like JohnnyU.

I'm not a Cam supporter, but our offense has improved while he has been here. We didn't lose much, so until we do, it' will be tough to replace him.

The thing is, you can always make a case to fire any coach if you only concentrate on the losses. And we lost fewer games than most of the league. So, using the how he performed in the losses also means we have to address how he performed in the wins.

I think it's more important to look at his failure to adjust at halftime and his inability to create an offense that plays to his players' strengths.

For instance, how many WR screens has Boldin been able to work? It's a specialty of his. Instead I see Boldin being asked to run 20-25 yds to get open. This isn't what Boldin is good at. Instead Boldin excels underneath.

Just one example.

Oh so the goal is to be good and not great. So the goal is not to hoist the silver trophy but to watch the team that does go to the Super Bowl. Thank you for correcting me on your lower expectations.

To expect the team that you follow to raise the Lombardi every year is unrealistic.

I think the goal inside the Castle is to be great.

I think the desire of all football fans for the team that they follow is for that team to be great.

I think we realisticly know that isn't going to happen on a regular basis.

For me...

1st...I want the Ravens to be competetive year in and year out. I know they can't be great all the time. No team is. Competetive for me is 9-7 or better.

2nd...With the talent that the Ravens have, I do expect them to make the playoffs this year.

3rd...I do not expect them to get to and win the Super Bowl. Would I love it if they did? Yes.

Now...expectation #3 increases/decreases as the season plays out, according to how the team performs, by paying attention to the following factors:

1. Are they winning at home?

2. Are they winning on the road? [harder]

3. Are they defeating teams with winning records?

4. Are they defeating playoff caliber teams?

5. What's their ranking in points scored/points surrendered?

6. Are they a team that knows how to find ways to win?

7. You can't put your finger on this one, but is there something special about this team? It's character. It's chemistry. It's passion.

Oh so the goal is to be good and not great. So the goal is not to hoist the silver trophy but to watch the team that does go to the Super Bowl. Thank you for correcting me on your lower expectations.

The goal is to make the playoffs, anything can happen from there on..Just ask the Giants, The 9-7 NY Giants,wern't they swept by the lowly Skids last year? Pre Season hyped up Super Bowl Champs are very seldom there at the end, the Packers from last year, The Saints, That game was supposed to be the mecca of all Championship Games.

Edited by cravnravn

Ask the Vikings how they feel about not having Dennis Green anymore. They made the playoffs something like 7-10 yrs in a row. It wasn't good enough. Consistency wasn't valued, Dennis had to go. Since then where has that team been? They've had what 2 playoff appearances?

My point is, be careful what you wish for. Change doesn't automatically mean success.

Fact....with Cam our offense has been better than ever in Ravens history and fact.....we've been winning games. So, until that stops, AND it's his fault. Poor gameplanning, inefficiency in the redzone, failure to adjust, and failure to create an offense around his players' strengths, we likely won't change what's going on there.

If winning the Super Bowl is the goal.....consistency is what will get you there.

• Upvote 1

I think papa is dwelling on those 3 games from last year too much..I can find no fault for Cams game plan in the AFCCG, maybe if there is any fault it was with who we had in there at the time..Evans only caught 4 balls all season..Dickson dropping a pass around the goal line, ehh t

Really. Rice being shut down by a lowly Pats run D was effective. If they would dump Cam's zone blocking I think they would be far better.

I agree that firing Denny was stupid. If they were to fire Cam I would want a good OC like Arians who was available this yr. Last yr Cincy brought in Jay Gruden. There are plenty of smart OC's out there who can do a great job. Not all of them are so stuck in their ways that they try to jam square pegs into round holes.

At the time I was say before the game that the D was better than people here were thinking. But I did not expect them to make the run game look like a div 3 team verses Bama. The passing game was very good that day. It was the run game that failed again and let the Ravens watch the SB from a couch.

I think papa is dwelling on those 3 games from last year too much..I can find no fault for Cams game plan in the AFCCG, maybe if there is any fault it was with who we had in there at the time..Evans only caught 4 balls all season..Dickson dropping a pass around the goal line, ehh t

Evans had at least 3 nice catches that game...he helped move the chains.

Cam planned and called a good game. As soon as Eddelman was given the task of covering Boldin what happened? Complete to Boldin complete to Boldin.

Like I said...Cam drives me crazy..."Stallworth comes on the field...they'll never know it's an end around"...but he also has done a lot right.

I'm not a Bruce Arians fan. Arians did squat when he was with the Brownies. His offense last year was 21st in points scored (Ravens were 12th)