ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bucs create incentives aimed at moving Week One tickets

papasmurfbell

Another NFL franchise having trouble filling their stadium.

We have a trend going on here folks.

The fans, by their absence, are saying "this costs too much".

The owners are saying "Uh...uh...here! We'll stop ripping you off on parking and concessions."

That's a start.

The Bucs are dropping seating prices on 80% of their seats. It is not enough.

Wow...that is really bad. Disposeable income in America is drying up.

The average Joe is saying "No Mas."

Perhaps the league has gone 'way too far' in their price gouging and fans all over are surrendering to "I can't afford this so I'll stay home and watch it on tv."

The league is countering the sit and watch at home mindset in some places like Nashville, where they are building the leagues largest outdoor TV screen...$26.5 million. They want you off the couch and in their place.

Like...how can you say this is really great entertainment when the stadium is empty?

Back at the start of the housing explosion when Bruce Cunningham was still on NST I was talking to him and Aaron. I was saying how that was the start and how the NFL will have to start reducing prices for the fan base. They told me I was insane and it would never happen. Well 4 yrs later it is coming true.

This does go to the NFL dropping as the leader in sports. At what point will they realize that their rule changes will turn off the fans? If they go to far another league could come in and have real football and the fans might follow.

Yep. The NFL has also mandated that all NFL stadiums have wifi so people can keep up on fantasy as the home game keeps going.

I'm ok with that but I hate fantasy football.

At the stadium between plays or during tv timeouts I look at the video board to see the scores from around the league. I want to know. They show you a score for a game and then start running the games fantasy stats...like all of us care!..like I really want to know that Joe Blow ran for 37 yards in the 1st half.....by the time the game continues, you can only get 2 or 3 scores because the fantasy stats took up all the time! It's impossible to know what's going on around the league when you're locked in the stadium.

I've got internet on my phone...guess I'll have to use that.

I think the blackout provision is the real problem here, not necessarily the lack of fans in the stand eventhough that too doesn't help of course.

TV-money is the most important source of income and as the number of games that can be broadcasted locally shrinks, so will the TV-money. Let's be realistic, most fans cheer for their local team. If the local football team isn't shown on TV, fans will eventually find another local team of some sort to follow instead.

Ya think this has anything to do with the NFL Channel dropping their NFL Ticket prices? Its wonderful for me, my plan last year was 350.00 for the season, this season its 199.00..Think about it, that 199 is the cost for 2 to attend a game.

I despise fantasy football, each week I want to see Manning, Brady, Ben, Peterson on stretchers...

I can tell you, just from one group of Brits I came in contact with on vacation, they dont like our "pussified" sport..I dont know the ins and outs cause we are acrossed the pond, but I was told that the only reason it sells out is because of Corporatations gobbling up the tickets.

Sorry Crav, the other Brits you are talking to are wrong. The games are sold out because people come from all across Europe to see the games and they are fans of all 32 teams not just the ones playing on game day. They can do that because it's 1 game per season but if you ask them to do it for 8 home games a season plus the possibility of playoffs it's not going to work at the price they are charging for tickets plus the cost of hotels in London plus the way the Euro is tanking.

The casual fan who watches the games the odd time might think it's a pussy sport because of all the pads and the helmets and they were probably brought up watching/playing rugby. However, having played rugby the 2 can't be compared. In rugby it's about tackling with technique. You never run into someone head first. In football you can get away with leading with your head (although less so know) and as such players leave their feet and the hitting is a bit more ferocious. I have nothing but respect for those athletes who play this game.

A team in London also won't work. People going to these games don't necessarily support the teams they are going to watch. Heck, I have been to 2 of them and the Ravens are yet to play there. We all go for the experience. Many of us can't afford to fly across the pond to catch games because it's either too expensive or in my case I can't get the time off work but we still support certain teams. Just because they will place a team in London doesn't mean the Uk and Europe are suddenly going to change their allegiances and start supporting this new team. The demand is there at the moment for the 1 game per season but once you increase the supply 8 fold then you risk outstripping demand.

Great Idea!

Expand.....Everywhere!

Water down the talent pool because Europeans won't know that they are watching JV NFL football.

Make millionaires out of guys who couldn't win a spot on todays rosters.

We're stupid. We'll pay crazy money to watch guys who can't throw, catch, run, block or tackle.

The casual fan who watches the games the odd time might think it's a pussy sport because of all the pads and the helmets and they were probably brought up watching/playing rugby.

Thats exactly what was said...I understand it was only 4 guys opinion, and alcohol was involved :thumbup: .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/29/jaguars-want-in-on-future-london-trips/

Maybe we have found our team that will go to London. The Jags want to be on those games there.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan said when he bought the team he wanted to play a game in London. And Mark Lamping, the Jaguars president of non-football operations, told Stellino that’s still the case, with the team willing to make multiple trips if necessary. The Rams have already committed to playing three games in London, starting this year against the Patriots.

Here's more on blackouts and teams unable to sell out....from Claytons mailbag...

The NFL's recent decision to ease blackout requirements for home games is smart, but also a little scary.

What's smart is it should limit the last-minute scramble to find a local business or television station buying a couple thousand tickets to keep the games on live television. Under the new rules, the blackouts will be lifted if at least 85 percent of the tickets are sold.

What's scary is, despite the NFL's increasing clout and popularity, ticket sales are in a downward cycle. Since 2007, league-wide attendance has dropped 4.5 percent. With the economy struggle and unemployment high, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Having games blacked out doesn't help business either, because it takes the regular fan out of the habit of getting their Sunday NFL fix for a local team when they can't get to the game.

In some ways, the league created more options last year to keep games on TV. Despite the economy, only 16 games were blacked out last season: Cincinnati (six), Tampa Bay (five), Buffalo (three) and San Diego (two). In 2010, there were 26 blackouts.

This move takes a lot of pressure off franchises such as the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have been putting tarp on empty seats in order to meet the sellout requirements to prevent blackouts. The Colts now have the pressure off to sell their remaining 1,900 empty seat. Colts fans can now watch Andrew Luck grow with a rebuilt roster and get excited enough to buy the remaining tickets.

This will help a Miami Dolphins franchise that averages less than 61,000 fans in a 75,000-seat stadium. The Redskins average 77,000 in a 91,704-seat stadium.

Under the new blackout rules, teams can tailor their blackout policies to keep games on television and still sell their remaining tickets. That's good business.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8119571/nfl-league-makes-right-call-blackout-requirements

85% would still leave the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons about a 1,000 tickets short.

64555212.jpg