ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

This better work

vmax

Ray's at his lightest playing weight ever...from John Eisenberg...

When he met with reporters Wednesday on the eve of the team’s first full-squad training camp practice, Lewis looked startlingly lighter and admitted he might have reached a new low threshold.

“This is definitely probably the lightest I’ve been since I walked into Baltimore” in 1996, Lewis said.

After playing at 250 pounds last season, Lewis is listed at 240 this season and admitted even that was too much.

“Yeah, I’m probably a little lighter (than 240). I’m probably a lot lighter than 240,” he said with a smile.

That means he might be as low as 230, which, for the record, is just five pounds heavier than safety Bernard Pollard.

Lewis refused to divulge his exact weight.

“I keep that to myself,” he said, continuing to smile. “You can’t share everything. I’m at a good weight, a good playing weight.”

He repeated the explanation for his dramatic weight-loss that he gave last month: that he needs to be faster to remain effective in today’s pass-happy NFL.

“The game has changed,” he said. “The game is no longer about 250, 260-pound fullbacks, and offenses running it 23 30 40 times (a game). The game has changed. It’s all based on matchups now. People want to find mismatches here and there, so you just change with the game. If everyone can run (it comes down to) who can’t run? So for me, that was what my thought process was coming into this next year.”

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/ravens-talk/post/Ray-Lewis-What-a-lightweight?blockID=746329&feedID=6703

"Momma wouldn't give me no cookies...no McDonalds...no ice cream...somebody's got to pay!"

137116332_crop_650x440.jpg?1327243533

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray is simply amazing. This guy has such a passion and he's afraid of very little in terms of football. The only other guy around that has this much passion for a game is Kobe Bryant. Kobe learns to shoot when he tore a ligament in his shooting hand. Ray learns to get lighter and quicker to match-up with pass happy offenses. I love it, old dog changing with the times.

These two guys, their competitive fire is just unmatched. It's really something to watch.

Seen Ray on the NFL Channel last night, I dont care if he's 200 lbs, Im running away from him if I have the ball.

Max, he can drop the poundage, hes not taking on the front line blockers, Ngata and Cody occupy them.

I really think it's a brilliant idea. He really looked slow a few times last year. If this can gain him half a step or two it could make a big difference. I also agree that with our current D Line, this was a wise move on Ray's part.

Ray's going to have to be faster this year.

Without Johnson and Suggs setting the edges, teams are going to run outside. They will run at Upshaw and Kruger. They can't go north...it's their only route, so Ray will be in a lot of rundowns this year.

Here's where having Smith and Webb on the corners really helps...they are strong against the run.

22-raypg-vertical.jpg

Hey they ran pretty successfully at times right at Ray last yr.

No they didn't.

The Ravens had the #2 rush defense last year. 3.5 ypc....basicly tied with the 49'ers for #1.

the Ravens run D only gave up 4 rushes over 20 yards with the longest being 25.

You really can't get much better than that.

Teams ran unsuccessfully, most of the time, against the Ravens.

nfl_u_ravens12_576.jpg

Edited by vmax

Yes Ray was pushed around at times. How many 100 yd rushers did they give up last yr? How long were the streaks of stopping them?

What would like Ray to do, retire? He's not thinking about that now so he has to change with the times. Why are you so worried about streaks? Wins matter most, their great defensive streaks have only led the franchise to one Superbowl win.

They were overlooking the AFCS winner?

Who won the game again? Oh that's right the Ravens and don't start about what would have happened if Schaub had started. Are you related to Skip Bayless? I can't stand him and I'm starting to feel that way about you.

They barely won the game. Had Jacoby Jones held onto the ball I bet they most likely would have won.

Yes...that is wrong too. They did not win the right way.

Almost everything they do is wrong and not good enough.

It is wrong to find enjoyment when the Ravens win.

Only Browns fans are right. See the photo below.

They are watching the Browns win by 21 points and they know that this is wrong.

BrownsDawgPound.jpg