ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

This better work

vmax

No doubt give it up, this is possibly the deepest team I have ever witnessed as a Ravens fan. It may be the deepest team in the NFL. (Maybe) And here we have someone predicting doom and gloom around every corner.

The Pats couldn't stop the run last year, they got to the Super Bowl. Hell, they were a dropped pass from winning it, but I'm sure it was their inability to stop the run that caused Welker to drop that pass.

Based on everything we have seen this pre-season there's no reason to think we will not be able to overcome weaknesses. Every team has weaknesses and will continue to have weaknesses. The good teams make sure that their strengths overcome their weaknesses.

In that regard we are doing very well. 4 straight trips to the playoffs with a win in each playoff. We're moving in the right direction.

Chick Little has no place here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston often looks for a story where there isn't one.

With Ngata, Cody, McClain, and Lewis, things will be fine, health being a factor of course.

I don't see Preston making any evaluation of Ngata's muscle contusion last year. It's clear that he drastically whore down and wasn't as effective as a result. And......on top of it.....despite the rushing yards allowed.......we WON games. This is a deep team that can win games and overcome adversity when one part of the team fails.

There is no reason to doubt this teams ability to stop the run. None whatsoever. This team is deep and has pride. They will do just fine.

Preston misses Brian Bilick and Kyle Boller, they made his job much easier as a writer. He came up with nicknames for them and he had his battles with Billick. Preston hasn't had that luxury since Harbaugh has been here, Harbs isn't going to waste his time giving Preston any drama filled material. Towards the end of Billick's run here the lockerroom was split and the QBs were a mess. It was bad for the Ravens to deal with those issues but it was good for Preston's career. The team is much more united since Harbs has been here so Preston has to reach more to get a story. Doughnut Boy Preston doesn't have it like he use to when Billick was here, he's lost his touch.

Flacco is poised for his best season ever.

Rice is locked up in his prime.

We return 4 of 5 lineman and appear to have capable back ups for Center and Guard.

We have two really good TE's and 2 really good WRs. We have 3 WR's with tremendous potential that I believe could fill the #2 and #3 spots if needed.

We have the best fullback int he NFL.

We have the best DT in the NFL.

We have another mammoth DT, 3 young but incredibly talented outside LB's.

We have three CB's on this team that could start for virtually any other team in the NFL.

We have a legend at Safety with two capable back ups.

Yes, this team has no potential. (This is sarcasm since you have trouble picking that up)

There is little to look forward to. (Once again sarcasm)

I'm sorry, the sky really is falling, I'm not sure what I was thinking. (Again....just in case, sarcasm)

I think that I assumed with 4 straight playoff appearances and a offense poised to tip the scales, this team would be better than ever.

Once again.....you're wrong. Every team in the NFL has weaknesses. We have very few.....and the ones we do have we can cover.

You're misconception is that a great team has no weakness. That's false. The Giants certainly had weaknesses and they won the Super Bowl.

In any case, you know you're a Steelers fan, why do you continue to deny it? Every chance you get you attempt to debunk something this team is doing. You look for something broke, but really there is nothing to fix. This team has been very successful the past 4 years and there's nothing (barring major injuries) to indicate that they will not continue to be successful.

Even if the run defense is not as good as years past, I say so what? The offense is going to be light years better and our pass defense should be lights out with our CBs and pass rushing capability.

If Flacco makes the opposing team 1 dimensional I could care less where our rush defense is at.

So if BMac may or may not be on the OL. So that would be a change on the whole left side plas an old man at center.

I guess it's time to wave the white flag, the Ravens have no shot at doing anything. NFL Network's Heath Evans is right the Bengals will stomp the Ravens Week 1. I might as well burn everything I have that's Raven related, I have to learn to hate this team because they aren't perfect. Papasmurfbell is the king of everything so we should listen to what he says, he can say or do no wrong. My life is over because the Ravens are going to finish with a terrible record and compete for the number one overall pick in the draft.

(Sarcasm all the way through).

I guess it's time to wave the white flag, the Ravens have no shot at doing anything. NFL Network's Heath Evans is right the Bengals will stomp the Ravens Week 1. I might as well burn everything I have that's Raven related, I have to learn to hate this team because they aren't perfect. Papasmurfbell is the king of everything so we should listen to what he says, he can say or do no wrong. My life is over because the Ravens are going to finish with a terrible record and compete for the number one overall pick in the draft.

(Sarcasm all the way through).

Is heath evans and skip bayless related? Hes a jerk

Is heath evans and skip bayless related? Hes a jerk

They are blood brothers, they kiss up to the Steelers and trash the Ravens. He was a freakin fullback who is big headed because he played with Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Even with the Steelers losing the division to the Ravens last year and entering the playoffs with a rash of injuries he still thought they were "far and away" the best team in the AFC North. Oh by the way Bayless thinks the Jags and Vikings should sign Brett Favre, it's sad how he thinks Favre and Tebow are beyond perfect in his eyes.

Did Mike or Papa stop to think that perhaps the Ravens run defense has suffered because of the pass. So many teams have went pass happy that the D hasn't been designed to stop the run. The Pats in the playoffs were passing all the way. They got all their yards off draws and delayed hand offs when the D was in pass D. I have zero problem with that.

The D also has a team and a RB that has given them fits throughout the nauties. It used to be Kansas City and their huge line and Priest Holmes. We also used to have a little trouble with the smaller scat backs. The Bengals had some success but the D also did their part against them. The only team that really lined up and won consistently was the Texans. But I will take the W and run D getting beat up for 16 regular season games and 3 playoff games if that is what it takes.

You don't actually say or stand for anything. You just change your story. No one respects your opinion because you're not even sure you have one.

No I just point out what I see. Good or bad.

Did Mike or Papa stop to think that perhaps the Ravens run defense has suffered because of the pass. So many teams have went pass happy that the D hasn't been designed to stop the run. The Pats in the playoffs were passing all the way. They got all their yards off draws and delayed hand offs when the D was in pass D. I have zero problem with that.

The D also has a team and a RB that has given them fits throughout the nauties. It used to be Kansas City and their huge line and Priest Holmes. We also used to have a little trouble with the smaller scat backs. The Bengals had some success but the D also did their part against them. The only team that really lined up and won consistently was the Texans. But I will take the W and run D getting beat up for 16 regular season games and 3 playoff games if that is what it takes.

But if you start getting gouged on the ground things will start falling apart fast. Hell the Squealers are trying to go back to the power running game. They should be ready to deal with that.

But that's just it Papa. We haven't been getting gouged by the run apart from a few anomalies. That is what I am trying to say. Yes, if we start getting gouged by the run consistently when we are set up to stop it then it becomes concerning but at this point I don't believe that we are in trouble with the run.

But that's just it Papa. We haven't been getting gouged by the run apart from a few anomalies. That is what I am trying to say. Yes, if we start getting gouged by the run consistently when we are set up to stop it then it becomes concerning but at this point I don't believe that we are in trouble with the run.

Bingo. How in the world do we finish top 5 in the run or whatever and yet we're gouged by the run? There is little to worry about in this department unless we lose some of our DT's to injury.

What trend????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009: Ranked 5th in the NFL vs the rush 93.3 yds a game

2010: Ranked 5th in the NFL vs the rush 93.9 yds a game

2011: Ranked 2nd in the NFL vs the rush 92.9 yds a game

If anything, we improved each year since 2009. Look up anomaly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those few bad games do not make the Rush Defense bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That three year span..........THAT YOU REFERENCED.......couldn't be better example of consistency and excellence.

Where they perfect? NO. No one here argued that. You stated there's a trend that the Ravens are getting worse against the run. That's not the case!

In 2008, ranked 3rd

In 2007, ranked 2nd

In 2006, ranked 2nd

In 2005, ranked 9th

Since 2005 we have not been ranked lower than 9th!

Since 2005 we have not once given up on average more than 100 yds on the ground.

THERE IS NO PROBLEM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2008

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008111608/2008/REG11/ravens@giants#tab=recap

Bradshaw is the first RB to really gouge them in yrs. Jacobs hurt too.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008122000/2008/REG16/ravens@cowboys#tab=recap

Choice got them some in this one.

In 2009

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101100/2009/REG5/bengals@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

The start begins with Benson.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101803/2009/REG6/ravens@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Peterson pounded them like he was Mr. Marcus.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110802/2009/REG9/ravens@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Benson still doing it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009112911/2009/REG12/steelers@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Mendenhal looked legit once.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092604/2010/REG3/browns@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Hillis banged them like Peter North.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010112100/2010/REG11/ravens@panthers#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Goodson who?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010121300/2010/REG14/ravens@texans#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Real nice day by foster

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011102400/2011/REG7/ravens@jaguars#menu=highlights&tab=recap

MJD keeping it going.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011111311/2011/REG10/ravens@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Lynch to the races.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011122402/2011/REG16/browns@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Hillis looks like crap all season except this week.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320115033

Foster banging the gong.

So for the preceding 2-3 yrs before 2009 the Ravens had not given up 100 yds. It has happened 11 times since then. Also there have been games where they were running great but didn't have enough attempts. Something else that jumped out at me is in 2008 you would see a bunch of attemps of 10 or less. Teams just simply would give up trying to run. You don't see that much in recent yrs.

That's still no problem. Where the Ravens stack up against the run is something most NFL teams would die for.

This defense has been championship caliber and remains that way until they slide.

In points surrendered, the only stat that matters they ranked:

2011..3rd

Against the run, of which you have no point that you can make they ranked:

Edited by vmax

AND FINALLY I SAY....

Once the best MLB to play the game retires, it would be very understandable should the run D suffer.

Or...should the DT position weaken like it did in in 2002 after the CAP purge and they lost Goose and Adams..they were 13th against the run and 19th in points surrendered....but everybody was gone except Ray and Cmac.

There are friggn'n cycles of dominance by teams over time. Nobody stays on the top forever.

Ride it out. Enjoy it.

Or find it displeasurable if you wish because a few guys had 100 yard games, which did not keep them out of the playoffs.

The 100 yard rusher streak was great because it is a rare event in the NFL. That made it a great and fantastic stat...an honor to hold.

But nobody can uphold stats like that forever.

So friggn'n enjoy it while it happens and look back with nice memories.

Or...I guess... you can believe the nuts of this defense have been clipped and live in the weeping and knashing of teeth land for the next 10 years.

It's all about winning!!!!

And finding ways to win.

What did being the #1 offense and the #1 defense get the Chargers in 2010???

NOTHING!

Not even a playoff berth!

You know how tough it is to defend 100 yards from a RB? think about it, its 25 ittsy bittsy yards a quarter..So Pops you saying that only 13 backs have done it in 64 games..There is absolutely nothing wrong with this Rush D..

I guarantee they will be top 5 once again this season.