ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Colts cut Marvin Harrison

83eh01

He would help take the load off of Mason. Clayton could benefit by getting more opportunities to be in the open field.

Huh? all clayton does in the open field is fall to the ground before he gets hit. If it werent for the 2-3 long TDs a year we get from him he would be completely useless.

Marvin is not the answer. We dont need another average height slim receiver. We need physicality.

Huh? all clayton does in the open field is fall to the ground before he gets hit. If it werent for the 2-3 long TDs a year we get from him he would be completely useless.

Marvin is not the answer. We dont need another average height slim receiver. We need physicality.

Who is an available physical receiver?

Reggie Williams isn't worth consideration. We need a top receiver; he'd be no better than the crew of #2 guys we have now.

I disagree. The reason we lost to Pittsburgh is not because we didn't have a #1 receiver (sure, it would have been nice), but the fact that we only had two NFL receivers. Copper, Smith, and Figurs were not going to cut it. Taking into consideration #1 receivers do not grow on trees, we need quality depth. No rookie is going to jump in and be a #1 receiver for us. We need to get four quality receivers so we can spread the field. If we can get a top receiver, great. I just do not see the opportunity out there.

As for Williams being no different, Williams presents a completely different skill set from Mason or Clayton. Williams is a big guy who can stretch the field, go up for balls, and is a redzone threat. If he can ever get his concentration under control, he could be an elite receiver.

I know that his skill set is entirely different, but that wasn't my point. My point was that he is an average receiver posting average statistics.

He has poor straight line speed, and his physicality has shown up just once, when 10 of his 38 receptions in 2007 were for touchdowns. In five seasons, he has never broken out. I suspect he will be paid better than what his value will be to this team.

I know that his skill set is entirely different, but that wasn't my point. My point was that he is an average receiver posting average statistics.

He has poor straight line speed, and his physicality has shown up just once, when 10 of his 38 receptions in 2007 were for touchdowns. In five seasons, he has never broken out. I suspect he will be paid better than what his value will be to this team.

Just throwing ideas out there. Here is Scouts, Inc. scouting report on Williams. Williams does have the ability to get deep with his long strides and ability to track the ball.

Williams has basically been a starter for all five years he has been in Jacksonville. He has excellent size along with good athletic ability and above-average downfield speed. He builds to speed more than being explosive and can struggle when trying to get off the press. He has excellent body control, when having to adjust to off-target throws, but is inconsistent when it comes to going up to catch the ball at its highest point. He prefers to let the ball come down, so he can trap it in his body. He is a bit of a long strider and can add a little burst of speed to run under the deep ball, but will get chased down from behind by faster corners. He can catch the ball over the middle and in traffic, but looks more comfortable when catching the ball on the edges. He has been plagued by inconsistencies, drops, lapses of concentration and sloppy routes. He is a natural catcher with soft hands. He can pluck the ball and tuck it away quickly. If the light ever goes on, he could end up being an elite receiver, but he needs to show more dedication to his job.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=5534

Williams might be an average receiver now, but the potential is certainly there to breakout. He is still only 25 years-old. What other receivers are out there on the market that are not going to be expensive? Facts are that the guy has NFL experience and is a productive player. Not to mention Jacksonville is a graveyard for wide receivers. Bringing a rookie will bring an adjustment period. We need to bring in quality talent one way or another. Williams might receive a contract more than he is worth, but who doesn't? The bottom line is that we need quality talent at receiver.

How about Nate Washington?