ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cundiff vs Tucker

yagersports

There's a good article on baltimoreravens.com about Cundiff vs Tucker.

What I'm interested in, it says Tucker has missed just twice while Cundiff has missed 7 times. (One of which was from 65 yds) However, even 6 misses seems like a lot more than the rook.

What I'd like to know. Does anyone have any idea what is a good bar or indicator here? It seems the rook may be pushing Cundiff out, but I'm not sure what's good and what's bad etc.

Only game kicks matter. We'll have to evaluate the pre season games.

Practice only shows if the guy has a leg.

This. It might be all good Tucker winning the competition but we won't know what he is made of until there is a must make FG with the game on the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Tucker is making 94% (82 of 87) of his kicks in practice against Cundiff's 83% (74 of 89). I think Tucker has to win the job. While we might not know if Tuck has the stones to kick game winners we do know that Cundiff doesn't so why not go with the rook if he is out performing Cundiff in practice?

Tucker has the leg, has the accuracy. The only thing we don't know is how he responds to pressure.

Cundiff has the leg, but it doesn't show up in his accuracy from beyond 50 yards and we do know that he has choked in the past at important times. While he might have learnt from the experience, at this point I don't want to find out.

My gut feeling is we're going to get stuck with Cundiff this year. We got Cundiff for his touchbacks not accuracy, now with the ball 5yrds closer his kicking power isn't as big of an issue. Take the AFCCG out of the of equation (he never tried the attempt and Ravens lost with him being a nonfactor)...he still had a horrible year...why did we keep this guy?

Exactly, what was Cundiff like 1 for 9 from 50 yards? and his kickoffs sucked, 2010 he set an NFL record for touchbacks, and 2011 he was lucky enough to put it 2 yards deep..

I didnt pay too much mind to the kickers, but I know as a punter if we didnt hit 4 of 5 coffin corners, it was SEE-YAA

Three More Misses For Cundiff

Billy Cundiff missed three times on Wednesday, all from beyond 50 yards.

He was wide right from 52 and 56 yards and short on a 58-yarder, which safety Ed Reed brought out of the end zone.

Rookie kicker Justin Tucker went 6-for-6, including hitting from 52 and 56 yards.

i know Cundiff screwed us royally, but do we want a rookie kicking for a playoff/superbowl caliber team? The name Houshka (spelling?) comes to mind. I'd rather them just brought in Shane Grahmn or somebody.

Problem is, as we all know some of these guys have a very fragile psyche. Graham was lights out at one point, then a couple of huge misses and the guy has trouble finding work. Cundiff may be in the same boat. If he's missing consistently in camp while the young pup is firing away it makes it hard to make a case to keep Cundiff around. If he's missing now, what's going to happen when the game is on the line? I agree with being concerned about a rookie, it's alot of pressure. But if the alternative to unknown is taking a guy that is known to have a confidence issue, I would say the unknown is probably better?

Tough call. I wouldn't be surprised if Harb's sticks with Cundiff and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with the rook. On one hand Harb's does stand by his guys, on the other he routinely plays the best people. Both seem to fit here. It's not going to be an easy decision.

One more thing to consider: Familiarity with the NFL stadiums. Rookies don't have that.

Stover was a master at knowing how the wind would blow and swirl in every stadium. It gave him an edge.