ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Today was a Day to Run

vmax

It looked like the Ravens could run all day...but they didn't.

On a day when the Pats O dominated the time of possesion battle, today was a perfect day for the Ravens to run the ball, control the clock and keep Brady off the field.

But they didn't.

Take what they give you... right?

Do it until they stop you.... right?

The Pats were perfectly balanced running and passing the ball.

Ravens????

47 passes

a paltry 17 rushes.

Guest BallTMore

Thought the same thing. We should have stayed more balanced.

I thought the 4th and 1 run with Willis was a bad call. I know he's running well, but go jumbo and let McClain pound it. Thankfully we got another chance.

How can you possibly be happy with the gameplan today? We had Flacco throwing way more then he should have, and that came back to bite. That play call to Willis was TERRIBLE. You go three WR's to try to spread them out but then you bring in McgGahee? Either play fake that shit or just bring out a damn jumbo package and give the ball to McClain, stupid stupid stupid.

This upcoming week is going to be tough as far as listening to the media goes, but we are going to be ready to kick some Cincy butt on Sunday. No doubt!

The Ravens have nothing to hang their heads about.

They were about to pull off the win in Foxborro. The fans there...hell anybody who watched this game, were watching the Pats wilt under fire and on the cusp of losing until that dropped pass.

47 throws...that's excessive....you usually lose when throwing that much.

Why?

...because it's indicative of a high scoring game where you are trying to come from behind and win.

This played perfectly into Belicheks game plan. I think he wanted to stop the run and force Flacco to beat them with his arm.

He got that senario... only the Ravens stopped the run.

Not the Pats.

Cleetz... 17 rushes will never win a game like this. Never. That simple.

We were in the game thanks to a couple of big defensive plays... but not because our offense was overwhelming.

In fact, our second offensive TD was set up by Rice's big run, wasn't it?

Rice was all over that defense... should have been that way all day. Keep their offense off the field. That's the name of the game.

Cleetz... 17 rushes will never win a game like this. Never. That simple.

We were in the game thanks to a couple of big defensive plays... but not because our offense was overwhelming.

In fact, our second offensive TD was set up by Rice's big run, wasn't it?

Rice was all over that defense... should have been that way all day. Keep their offense off the field. That's the name of the game.

I disagree, the Steelers won the Super Bowl with the strategy we employed today. Keep it close, let your QB win it in the end. Today showed me we have the QB to win these types of games, even if we only run the ball 17 times. Now, do I only want to run the ball 17 times each week? Of course not. What I am saying is think before you blame Cam for the loss and do not just look at the play call numbers. Cam could not help that Flacco underthrew Mason on the potential deep touchdown, or that Clayton dropped the fourth down pass, or that there was miscommunication for the Flacco INT. If Flacco throws that ball to the corner of the endzone its a TD (provided Clayton catches the ball, which is not much of a given anymore).

Cam took great shots downfield when he needed to. Cam did a great job of countering the blitz with screens, dumpoffs, and draws. Can and Matsko were great in their blitz pickup schemes. For the most part, Flacco had time to go through all his reads. Yes, Cam's decision on 4th & 1 (and 3rd & 1 for that matter) to run the ball out of a single back set was poor, especially considering you have a 265-pound, Pro-Bowl fullback on the sideline. However, the bottom line is that he had our team in a great position to win the game at the end directing a masterful final drive.

I understand Cam's thinking. He wanted to keep us out of the 3rd & longs. We were gaining so many yards on first and second down passing the ball that our third downs were very managable. If Willis or Rice was stuffed on first down, Cam did not want to run it again on second and potentially be stuck in a tough third down situation (even a solid four yard gain after a no yard gain leaves you with 3rd & 6). Last week those first down runs were going for big gains, not so much today.

Also give Cam credit for having Flacco snap the ball on different snap counts getting us a couple of encrouchment penalties and ultimately keeping the pass rushers honest (do I have mention he did this on the road). You had to be impressed with the offense's time management and no-huddle capabilities today (once again, on the road). When is the last time you have seen this from a Ravens team? Much less than against the NFL's best. Cam did a lot more good today than bad, he is hardly the one to blame.

do you know why the Ravens went deep so many times in the first half? because it was 8 in the box and a blitz look on almost every down. You don't beat your head up against that all. They were very close to winning a game they didn't play well in. I don't care about the game plan. If Clayton catches that ball. I'm pretty sure we score. then nothing is said about the game plan. I have no fear of the Bengals this year.

Ps. Secondary didn't play bad at all.

I wish they would have run more, but I dont think it cost them the game. Nor do I think it was an awful game plan.

At the end they were in a position to win the game against a quality opponent on the road so I wont fault the plan.

The fumbled kickoff and stupid INT before halftime really really hurt. Not to mention the penalty yards.