ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Dixon makes pitch for stadium to woo DC United

thundercleetz

Mayor Sheila Dixon has written a letter to the Maryland Stadium Authority asking the board to explore the possibility of building a soccer stadium in Baltimore for the DC United, the Major League Soccer franchise in Washington D.C. that has said it is looking for a new venue.

The letter, dated Sept. 30 and received by the agency Oct. 5, asks that the Authority prepare a feasibility study to examine the potential benefits of building a stadium that could serve as the United's permanent home, as well as host concerts, lacrosse games and other events. The complex, according to Dixon's letter, would be part of a "green mixed use project" with access to the Light Rail, Interstate 95 and I-295, as well as Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium.

"For example," the letter states, "the 42-acre Westport Waterfront project meets these standards."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/blast/bal-soccer1016,0,6967498.story

I love this idea. The Westport Waterfront area is a great location, and a new soccer stadium would many opportunities. Look no farther than the European soccer game that sold-out at M&T Bank Stadium over the summer. This stadium would be an ideal place to hold all types lacrosse games as well as this sport expands.

"Great location"? She better deploy the National Guard once it opens, because that's about as dirty and dangerous as Baltimore gets.

What I meant to say is a potentially great location. Have you seen the plans for the area? Anyways, the point is what do you think about DC United in Baltimore?

American soccer just doesn't have a chance... but I think the United would do better in Bmore than DC.

As for a stadium and its placement... Camden Yards was hardly a nice area when the ballpark was first put there...

Bad idea and bad timming with the state of the economy. Corporate sponsorship will be 0. City graft ...100%.

Which is exactly why PG County and D.C. bailed on stadium proposals with the team already. It is bad timing in the sense of the economy, but good timing in the sense of trying to lure the team in need of a stadium since no one else wants to give them one. But then again, no one cares about soccer in the U.S.!

Did you really think it would be bill passes slots are here?

Bill passes... slots must apply for permits... permits were accepted... builders must determine what and where to build... then they actually have to build.

Only one part of that equation is the state's fault... the applying for permits. And that's been done for more than six months. So don't go acting like the state's entirely at fault here.

The state can take plenty of fault in the slots fiasco... the biggest mistake being passing a bad bill... but the slow dredge is as much a problem of the economy right now as the state.

Meanwhile... building a multi-sport complex would provide a huge boost to the economy if the project can get rolling. Construction is exactly how we want the government creating jobs... finance projects that provide jobs now and jobs/job opportunities later. The question is whether there is money to get the thing started. But imagine how many people, businesses, etc can be put into motion and into work with one, big stadium project...

Did you really think it would be bill passes slots are here?

Bill passes... slots must apply for permits... permits were accepted... builders must determine what and where to build... then they actually have to build.

Only one part of that equation is the state's fault... the applying for permits. And that's been done for more than six months. So don't go acting like the state's entirely at fault here.

The state can take plenty of fault in the slots fiasco... the biggest mistake being passing a bad bill... but the slow dredge is as much a problem of the economy right now as the state.

Meanwhile... building a multi-sport complex would provide a huge boost to the economy if the project can get rolling. Construction is exactly how we want the government creating jobs... finance projects that provide jobs now and jobs/job opportunities later. The question is whether there is money to get the thing started. But imagine how many people, businesses, etc can be put into motion and into work with one, big stadium project...

If Ehrlich was still governor those slots would be up and running by now! :lol:

As for the soccer stadium, I pretty much agree with everything dc said. Now is actually a good time for construction, just need to find some funding to get things kicked off. Maybe the firm that is funding the Westport Waterfront project would put forth some money for the soccer stadium. The Chelsea game at M&T Bank Stadium showed there is potential for soccer. Yes, that game sold out because top Euro clubs were playing, but the point is maybe a new stadium, especially a European soccer specific stadium, could attract more Euro teams to play in Baltimore, maybe even USA qualifier matches. And if the World Cup ever returned to the US, you better believe a soccer specific stadium in Baltimore would host a round. Remember, these MLS soccer teams often form partnerships with Euro teams that bring benefits to each team (exhibition, all-star games, possibly international investment in the team).

By the way, building a soccer stadium is nowhere near as expensive as building a baseball/football stadium. The New York MLS team is building a soccer stadium that sits about 25K for $180-$200 million. The one in Baltimore would sit 17-20K, so it would probably be a little less. Yes, still expensive, but hardly the $500 million+ teams throw into baseball or football stadiums nowadays.

RedBull-Aerial-People_copyright_SM.jpg

Laurel Race Course, minimal building required.

Hilton Ocean City, already has a ballroom in place, all they need was slot machines and the state could have already been making money. Im very familiar with the plans for downtown, the GC has already asked our Co to bid on supplying the block.

I am not opposed to anything, though I have trouble thinking soccer would be a success here, but wouldnt a modern nice working arena be of more benefit?

Now that I would definitely agree with...

perhaps we could make it a retractable dome stadium... with a removable field (like the one in arizona)...

Ok... but really, a legitimate arena would be far more useful... would attract many more concerts, performances, etc... and if big enough could properly hold basketball, hockey, etc inside... though, no reason an outdoor facility couldn't do some of these things...

Now that I would definitely agree with...

perhaps we could make it a retractable dome stadium... with a removable field (like the one in arizona)...

Ok... but really, a legitimate arena would be far more useful... would attract many more concerts, performances, etc... and if big enough could properly hold basketball, hockey, etc inside... though, no reason an outdoor facility couldn't do some of these things...

Isn't that what 1st Mariner Arena's replacement (which is currently on hold) going to provide? This soccer stadium would definitely be an outdoor stadium that would be ideal for soccer/lacrosse. Like I said, having a soccer specific stadium would attract so many opportunities such as international soccer games, All-Star games, United States qualifying games, lacrosse tournaments, and possibly the World Cup in the future. Both a stadium and an arena would add a lot of potential for the city.

Isn't that what 1st Mariner Arena's replacement (which is currently on hold) going to provide? This soccer stadium would definitely be an outdoor stadium that would be ideal for soccer/lacrosse. Like I said, having a soccer specific stadium would attract so many opportunities such as international soccer games, All-Star games, United States qualifying games, lacrosse tournaments, and possibly the World Cup in the future. Both a stadium and an arena would add a lot of potential for the city.

Thats exactly what should have been done with the ATM. to build a stadium to be used 8-12 times a year is a waste of taxpayer dollars. And if you are trying to lure International Soccer, it has to be a grass field, to meet their specifications, or you'll get what we had here in July, an exhibition, andextreme cost to Maryland by putting down real grass for one day. And what a waste it turned out to be, I know in Harford Co, there are no more natural grass fields, all sporting events have to now be played on field turf. What did the Stadium Authority do with all that grass that was brought in?

Why anyone from South Carolina north would build a stadium withou a retractable roof is beyond me. Indy has made so much additional revenue with their stadium, just from hosting the NCAA's last year, and that stadium is 1 year old.

I don't think M&T is a waste at all... when built it was made with real grass, remember? We changed just 5 years ago or so. And while it cost some money to change the field for the soccer game, the state/stadium still made a ton of cash on that soccer game. I am sure they will come back.

What NCAA's did Indy host last year? Basketball? Even if M&T had a roof... it would not suit basketball.

Meanwhile... the 'arena' is on hold... but I didn't know there was ever even an approved project or plan? Is there? Again, that should be priority number one before a soccer or outdoor stadium.

Really, we have two great outdoor facilities... we just need to open them up to more events... I know we want to 'protect' them, but the stadium authority has to find a way to host more events (concerts included) in these areas.