ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ray's Hit on Chad

dc.

It was definitely late, no doubt about it. Plus, the call was unneccessary roughness on a defenseless receiver, which it clearly was. Dumb play by Ray, simply put. I thought the refs screwed us last week, but we did it to ourselves this week with dumb penalties. We deserved to lose this game.

It was announced as "leading with" or "making contact with" the helmet (I forget which).

I just think it wasn't especially late... it wasn't helmet (or helmet to helmet)... it was just a big hit. Ray got maybe one step after the ball went over CJ's head...

It didn't cost us the game. Just doesn't look cheap to me.

Doesn't matter what it was announced as, there are rules that protect defenseless receivers. Either way, it was a clear unneccessary roughness penalty. The key word is "unneccessary" as the ball had already sailed past Johnson.

Not announced by the TV guys... by Triplett... you can hear it in the video... "Unnecessary roughness, hit to the helmet..."

Not announced by the TV guys... by Triplett... you can hear it in the video... "Unnecessary roughness, hit to the helmet..."

Like I said, it doesn't matter what the play was announced as, it was a penalty any way you look at it. If it is not a helmet-to-helmet hit, it is a hit on a defenseless receiver. If it is not that, it is a blatant late hit. Any way you slice it, it is unneccessary roughness, 15-yards, automatice first down. It doesn't matter how the ref announced it, it was the right call.

Gonna have to disagree.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d80d0448e/NFLTA-Official-Review

In this video from last December (second half of it) Mike Pereira (league officials chief) discusses a similar hit against Wes Welker by the Steelers. In the video, after the pass is knocked away, defender and receiver each take two steps before the hit and Welker gets flattened.

Clark got the penalty. But Pereira says the hit was clean - no helmet contact, led with shoulder, etc etc. Not excessively late, either... but far later than Ray's hit on CJ.

Ray's hit wasn't excessively late. It wasn't helmet to helmet. It wasn't dangerous. I just think its questionable and looking back its not a bad hit. Pereira does say in the video that the flag will get thrown because it looks bad - but that doesn't mean it is bad.

If Fabian had put his hand on Chad's back, would the pass have been called uncatchable?

Doubtful.

If it's a play, you can hit 'em. Chad was involved in the play and should expect contact over the middle. The end.

If Fabian had put his hand on Chad's back, would the pass have been called uncatchable?

Doubtful.

If it's a play, you can hit 'em. Chad was involved in the play and should expect contact over the middle. The end.

It ended with Ray being called for a cheap shot. Rightfully so.

It wasn't a cheap shot. It was 1/2 a second after the pass and it was chest to chest. What part of that is illegal?

I love Chad getting up and jawing about it too... it was such a cheap shot, so violent, so bad that Chad was immediately on his feet and able to yell about how much he didn't like it.

Take the hit, get to the line of scrimmage and tell your QB to stop laying you out. Welcome to Todd Heap's world, pansy.

It wasn't a cheap shot.

Is that right? ESPN/ABC/CBS/NBC has been televising this play over and over. All agree Ray Lewis took a cheap shot, which basically cost Baltimore the game.

NFL network disagreed. So does NFL.com

They disagreed taking that Ray taking that shot and getting flagged for it didn't cost you the game? The hell you say!

It wasnt a blow to the head, thats evident. I guess Ray is supposed to see that Chad didn't catch the ball and stop immediately, all in the quarter second or so he had.

Quite the effort there by Chad BTW. Game on the line he really tried to go up and get the critical pass.