ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Are we in CAP Hell....Again

cravnravn

Look at the players we released vs who we have signed, yet we are only 7.2 mil under the CAP.

Folks were yelling for us to TAG Joe, hell thats a 15 mil dollar Cap hit right there.

We are without a LT, Center, MLB and a safety, and we only have 7.2 mil left? does that include the rookie pool? if not then realistically we only have 4 mil left.

Not sure how it got to be this bad, but maybe Stevey should take the blinders off and restructure Suggs & Ngata.

I'd call it "Cap Purgatory".

They have some cash flow aparently...

Six days after the Broncos unceremoniously dumped Elvis Dumervil after a fax machine ate his contract, the Ravens have reportedly made the outside linebacker a contract offer, according to the Denver Post's Mike Klis, who adds that the "Broncos have offered slightly more money in the early portion of the deal."

The Ravens reportedly have had serious interest in Dumervil since he hit free agency. As it stands, the depth chart at outside linebacker includes former defensive player of the year Terrell Suggs and Courtney Upshaw, the team's 2012 second-round pick. Behind them: Adrian Hamilton and Michael McAdoo, who combined for a grand total of one tackle last season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22843423/elvis-dumervil-mulls-ravens-offer-freeney-abraham-visit

Alright, so we have an offer to dummerville, what about LT? please dont go into the season with Oher there!!!

and to start a rookie there is suicidal.

Just curious how we got this bad, when after the SB we were told we would be OK, yet we've lost a ton and are not OK due to only having 7.2 mil left, and if Dummer excepts our offer its going to be a 3-5 million dollar hit.

Ozzie's ahead of you crav...

“I think they’d like to come away with a pass rusher, I think they will come away with a pass rusher,” Schefter told BaltimoreRavens.com at the NFL owners meetings.

“Whether it’s [Elvis] Dumervil or [Dwight] Freeney or John Abraham or Osi Umenyiora, they’ll come away with somebody.”

“You can get anything done that you want to get done,” Schefter said.

“It’s just a question of restructuring some more deals. They could always go to Haloti Ngataicon-article-link.gif and restructure [his contract], Terrell Suggsicon-article-link.gif and restructure, Marshal Yandaicon-article-link.gif and restructure. Do you want somebody? Go get him.”

Schefter pointed out that there is still the question of cost at the end of the day because restructuring contracts pushes bills forward that eventually come due. Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said soon after the season ended that he does not like restructuring contracts.

But he did leave the door ajar somewhat for a special circumstance.

“The only time we consider restructuring guys’ deals is [if] there is a player that comes available that we think has great value and is worth us restructuring a deal to get it done,” Newsome said.

“But it also, it has to be a player that we think has a pretty good chance of playing out his contract, because that’s when you get in trouble, if you restructure a deal then all the sudden that player’s abilities fall off the cliff, and you have to let him go. Then you have to eat all that acceleration right away.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Adam-Schefter-Ravens-Will-Sign-A-Pass-Rusher/8626c040-8572-44e6-9317-59f24acf8017

I like that we're going after Dumervil, as he and Suggs would provide an unreal pass rush, but at the same time I'm not sold its the smart move given our cap situation. I'd rather wait out the DE situation, as we could probably end up with Abraham or Umenyiora for only $2 Mil a year as opposed to the $5 or 6 we'll have to give Dumervil. We could use that savings to nab Urlacher, Woodson, Huff, etc. There's a lot of veterans out there that can fill the holes we have for cheap, but not if we give it all away to Elvis.

I like that we're going after Dumervil, as he and Suggs would provide an unreal pass rush, but at the same time I'm not sold its the smart move given our cap situation. I'd rather wait out the DE situation, as we could probably end up with Abraham or Umenyiora for only $2 Mil a year as opposed to the $5 or 6 we'll have to give Dumervil. We could use that savings to nab Urlacher, Woodson, Huff, etc. There's a lot of veterans out there that can fill the holes we have for cheap, but not if we give it all away to Elvis.

I'd rather have Dumervil than all three of those you mentioned.

You guys have to start thinking big picture and stop worrying about filling holes. Not every position is going to have great players...period.

Ya know what, this is worse then 2002 is the feeling Im getting. 7.2 mil under!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats ridiculous, do we have 53 under contract?

The Ravens are compliant with the cap.

It's better than '96 when they had no practice squad because they couldn't Iafford to pay them.

I'd rather have Dumervil than all three of those you mentioned.

You guys have to start thinking big picture and stop worrying about filling holes. Not every position is going to have great players...period.

Obviously I'd rather have Dumervil too, but he is the 'great' player you mention. The guys I mention are more hole-fillers than great players. I think you're thinking backwards here.

Obviously I'd rather have Dumervil too, but he is the 'great' player you mention. The guys I mention are more hole-fillers than great players. I think you're thinking backwards here.

The guys you mentioned are not hole fillers. They are expensive replacements that would be overvalued. Draft picks are hole fillers.

The guys you mentioned are not hole fillers. They are expensive replacements that would be overvalued. Draft picks are hole fillers.

Woodson may be expensive ($4-5 Million) but Urlacher is going to get $2 Million a year. There aren't many teams with money left looking for vets right now. The big money has already been spent.

Woodson may be expensive ($4-5 Million) but Urlacher is going to get $2 Million a year. There aren't many teams with money left looking for vets right now. The big money has already been spent.

My point exactly. Neither of them are worth anywhere near that to us. Dumervil would be worth much closer to his potential salary for our concerns with regard both to our cap situation and our current roster.

My point exactly. Neither of them are worth anywhere near that to us. Dumervil would be worth much closer to his potential salary for our concerns with regard both to our cap situation and our current roster.

If Urlacher is a big upgrade on the cheapest guy we can bring in (basically $1 Million) than spending Twice as much for Four times the play/leadership is an easy decision.

I really doubt we're going to wind up with Dumerville. In the end, he'll take a somewhat higher deal to stay where he is and since signing him would blow the cap to hell (unless they restructure some guys) I'm not sure us signing him is the best move.

As for LT. its one of my pet concerns. If we could trade up in the draft to take one we should. I don't think McKinnie really wants to be here after he was forced to take a significant cut in salary from us just this season. But no one else may really want him with his weight and other baggage.

Somebody has to compete with Gino and back him up if he wins the competition. Will probably be some guy who's over the hill.

The Defense is a mess. Hope the draft helps there.

I don't think we're going to be able to fill all these holes with good talent in one year. Looks like a long losing season.

By the way, when it is going to hit them that OHRER IS NOT A LT!!!

................ Looks like a long losing season.

It won't look that way after the draft and whenOzzie gets another FA or 2

Edited by vmax