ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Harbaugh Wanted Reed Gone

deeshopper

Mike Preston is the source, so take with a grain of salt.

Before longtime Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed signed with the Houston Texans, the widespread belief was that the Ravens were making a strong pitch to keep him in Baltimore. It turns out that might not have been the case. Mike Preston of The Baltimore Sun reports Ravens head coach John Harbaugh wasn't interested in bringing back the veteran defender despite all the speculation prior to Reed
landing in Houston. Reed went on to sign a three-year, $15 million contract with the Texans. The Ravens responded by inking Michael Huff to a deal of the same length, but for $9 million less. He's expected to slide into the same role Reed played.

It was interesting to see how the national media made it seem like the Ravens were in a bidding war with Houston for former safety Ed Reed. The Ravens made it appear that way out of respect for Reed, and it certainly put more money in Reed's pocket. But Ravens coach John Harbaugh wanted Reed back as much as he wants a root canal. It was the perfect time for both parties to go their separate ways.

It's unclear why Harbaugh didn't want one of his stalwart defenders back after winning a championship. Whether it was due to Reed's contract demands or his age (34), the coach apparently thought going in a different direction was the wise move. Regardless, the Ravens defense will enter next season with a completely new identity. Reed and the retired Ray Lewis were the key pieces of one of the league's best defensive units over the past decade. Both are now gone.

If Harbaugh truly had no interest in bringing Reed back into the fold, it shows the value of veteran leaders who understand the system might not be as high as it seems from the outside.

More

Presto always said that this wasn't "Harb's team". Reed was with the old regime and spoke his mind. Even if Harbs didn't want him on the team Oz would still have to go along with it. Since Reed/BP drew little interest outside of Baltimore shows the FO was right.

Frankly, I think Ed went over the line this past year. As much as I agreed with Reed that McKinnie should have been the LT, the way he went about it, yelling out' Bryant where are you?" over and over again in practice was insubordinate to Harbaugh. I think Harbs is a good coach and Ed USED to be a special player but Ed calling the coach out goes beyond the pale in my opinion.

Frankly, I think Ed went over the line this past year. As much as I agreed with Reed that McKinnie should have been the LT, the way he went about it, yelling out' Bryant where are you?" over and over again in practice was insubordinate to Harbaugh. I think Harbs is a good coach and Ed USED to be a special player but Ed calling the coach out goes beyond the pale in my opinion.

I forgot about that.

This story is getting legs....The media has taken a figure of speech from Mike Preston:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh wanted Reed back as much as he wants a root canal.

... and they are presenting it as Harbaugh saying it.

No mention that Harbaugh has never even hinted at feeling like that.

No Harbaugh quotes that are the exact opposite of this... of which there are a ton.

No history of animosity between the two....ignore this.

Why doesn't a reporter ask Harbaugh?

Because they would hear the boring truth.

Can't write that!!!!!!!

It is the season to turn the NFL into the same circus as Reality TV.

I think Harbaugh is a lot more shrewd than many of you give him credit for:

Does he like to be in charge? I'm sure. But honestly, in professional sports, isn't everyone a Type A? So, what's so surprising about that? Do you think Belichick or the like don't think/act exactly the same way?

Meanwhile, I think Harbaugh, like most good players/coaches/GMs cares more about winning than about their individual beliefs. Sure, there are times when personal feuds can overtake talent observations, but I think those cases tend to be extreme (perhaps more like Pollard?).

So, what's my point? Do you really think that Harbs (and Oz) would boot Reed because of some personality conflicts if it was truly the wrong decision for this team in terms of personnel and talent? Are you accusing them of being THAT egotistical in a league of egotists? Because that would truly be saying something.

I think Harbs likes to win as much as he likes himself. He isn't going to intentionally stand in the way of his team's chances for success.

Yes he is so shred that he told a fan that he should go be a fan of another team on the radio.

So what??? I'd say the same thing too, to many armchair GM's in this town. If you think you know how to run the team better, then why are the armchair GM's not working in the NFL?

Dont feed me the Vinnie BS, if he was any f'n good he'd still have a job in the NFL, who couldnt be the GM of the Redskins? Hes the main reason I Stopped streaming 105.7, that and the knuckleheads that place blame on Flaccos contract for all the releases.

There will always be reaction to the teams actions, and it is never correct!!

After all the cuts, all the bitching and moaning, then the Ravens let the market come to their budget, we have a better team than the 2012 Ravens.

Edited by cravnravn