Photo

How will Leonard / Landry pan out next season ?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 moonman

moonman

Undrafted Free Agent

• 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Dwan Landry, another Ravens late round Jewel, may be losing his job. Jim Leonard seems to fit
in perfectly with this Defense. Landry seemed to be a silent partner in this defense, carefully fullfilling his
role and not blowing too many assignments. He also seemed to be quite the run stuffer.
Yet this Leonard, seems to have major potential, he always seems
to be somewhere in on the play. He is only a few months older than Landry, both are 26. Landry is about
25 lbs heavier, which I'm sure may give him the edge against the run. Leonard seems faster. The only
other thing is that Leonard is a force on special teams.

I don't have enough information to evaluate the two players side by side. Is there anyone who thinks
they can judge who are starting SS will be next year? Thoughts on comparing the two players?

#2 yagersports

yagersports

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Leonard is the man and has proven that he's definitely more suited to start for this Ravens defense. It's unfortunate for Landry because he was very solid, however leonard is a playmaker.

#3 colincac

colincac

Rookie

• PipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

I expect us to lose a LB in FA this offseason, and as a result I expect to see some 5 DB formations with Landry basically in the box as a LB covering the 3rd WR or TE. We wouldn't lose much run support and our pass coverage would improve greatly.

Ravens Fan in KCMO.

#4 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

If that's the case... I want Leonhard on the TE... Landry on the WR.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster too. And when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

#5 thundercleetz

thundercleetz

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

We play the Steelers on Sunday, right? No, just kidding, good discussion! Landry is cheap and going into the last year of a rookie deal, he is coming back. Leonard is going to be a free agent. After his big game yesterday, he is definitely going to garner some attention going into free agency. I would love to see Leonard come back, but with the free agents we already have, some team is sure to give Jim an offer that I believe will be out of our budget. We did not draft two safeties this past offseason for nothing. Although, I do question Landry's mental state after such an injury. Some players can return after such an injury, others are hesitant the rest of their career.

#6 ForceEight

ForceEight

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Cleet nailed it. Landry is our starting safety, if primarily because of money. He's not going anywhere.

#7 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

He might not be going anywhere, but neither is Leonhard.

I will seriously question Ozzie, for the first time in my history as a fan, if he lets Jim Leonhard off this team.

Then you can talk about who should start. And the fact that Landry is cheaper does not make him the starter. It makes him a member of the team.
Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster too. And when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you.

#8 moonman

moonman

Undrafted Free Agent

• 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

So, exactly how did we wind up with Leonard? I could not find much on the particulars of how he landed
with the Ravens.

#9 cmacarolle21

cmacarolle21

Undrafted Free Agent

• 159 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

If we had a 5 DB formation I would think you'd want Landry on the TE not the WR. Landry is bigger and not as quick as Leonhard.

"These people can not score on us they cant move even move the ball you know why because we got each other put some smiles on your faces its a 60 minute ball game."- Ray Lewis

#10 Ravensfan1

Ravensfan1

Undrafted Free Agent

• 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

i think landry is bigger and faster than leonhard personally.

#11 thundercleetz

thundercleetz

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Ravensfan1 @ Jan 12 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think landry is bigger and faster than leonhard personally.

It might be close in straight-line speed, but Leonhard is definitely the better all around athlete. Leonhard is much like Ed Reed in the way he moves. He is very agile, accelerates quickly, and moves very fluently. He has that effortless looking run like Ed does.

#12 ForceEight

ForceEight

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (dc. @ Jan 12 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He might not be going anywhere, but neither is Leonhard.

I will seriously question Ozzie, for the first time in my history as a fan, if he lets Jim Leonhard off this team.

Then you can talk about who should start. And the fact that Landry is cheaper does not make him the starter. It makes him a member of the team.

rolleyes.gif You wanted him to flat out release McGahee, too. I guess money's no object to you!

#13 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,178 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm more concerned with what Leonard is going to do when Santanio Holmes streaks down his side of the field. Hopefully Washington is streaking right with him.

BTW...Leonard is the only guy in the secondary who can tackle....that is a scary thought...what a team weakness.

“[Lamar] was amazing last year, and then they add in Mark Ingram,” Burleson said. “We forget how strong and angry of a runner he is. … [The Ravens] are just getting started. I think people assume that Lamar Jackson isn’t going to pass the ball this year, and I will tell you right now you are wrong. He’s going to light up the skies and torch the ground like he did last year.”

“Put on 20 pounds of muscle over the offseason,” Hurst said. “I’m kind of on a mission this year. I’ve got a lot to prove.”

#14 ravinmaniac52

ravinmaniac52

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

I think we keep both. Jim will be very thankful for the chance to play.

#15 dc.

dc.

Don't Really Give A...

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

You wanted him to flat out release McGahee, too. I guess money's no object to you!

If Willis kept his crap up... I said we don't need him.

BTW...Leonard is the only guy in the secondary who can tackle....that is a scary thought...what a team weakness

Another reason we so desperately need to keep him.

#16 varaven45

varaven45

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (vmax @ Jan 12 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm more concerned with what Leonard is going to do when Santanio Holmes streaks down his side of the field. Hopefully Washington is streaking right with him.

BTW...Leonard is the only guy in the secondary who can tackle....that is a scary thought...what a team weakness.

Max,

Bingo. Our No 1 off season class will be tackling 101 !!!

#17 SpearSrai

SpearSrai

Free Agent

• Pip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Landry and C-Mac are good tacklers. That's why they're on IR. wink.gif

Our corners just aren't tough enough to be strong tacklers. If Fabian started laying people out, he wouldn't last a game.

#18 nattybohfiend

nattybohfiend

Undrafted Free Agent

• 30 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

With the way Corey Ivy has been playing... both are staying.

#19 5to85for6

5to85for6

Undrafted Free Agent

• 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

i love the 5 db concept, been thinking about it since leohard started to shine. I hope he won't be too expensive to keep, the starting D would be Pryce Ngata Gregg Suggs Lewis Johnson Mcallister Washington Leonhard Landry Reed playing a 4-2-5, are you kidding me? thats so much talent. With Rolle bannan Mckinney mclain barnes Zibby Walker and hopefully t-good and burgess coming in to spell! Looks like a group that could contend with 2000 for the record books.

#20 cmacarolle21

cmacarolle21

Undrafted Free Agent

• 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

^

That is a scary good defense thinking of those 5 DB's. Samari Rolle coming off the bench thats disgusting. If we were to do this I'd like to see Leonhard bulk up.

"These people can not score on us they cant move even move the ball you know why because we got each other put some smiles on your faces its a 60 minute ball game."- Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users