ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ozzie needs to get better

papasmurfbell

Ozzie is very good with the draft. He is able to grab talent damn near anywhere and RFA's also. He has turned many low and undrafted players into stars. That said his FA moves have blown for many yrs. I have said so. It took until listening to Bruce Cunningham's show a few weeks back to figure a reason why. Shaq Haris was the Pro Player guy while Savage was the college guy. Since Shaq has left a lot of Ozzies FA moves have blown up and hurt us.

I believe Haris left after the Super Bowl and that seems about the time when it started.

Terry Allen - He was old while still in TB

Bennie Anderson - We wasted so much time and QB sacks with this loser

Elvis Grbac - His yds and scoring was in garbage time

Leon Searcy - He couldn't stay healthy yrs before we signed him to that monster deal

Carnell Lake - Used up all his good yrs in other cities

Ethan Brooks - This guy sucked

Harold Morrow - did a little in Minny and nota for us also another Billick budy

Marcus Robinson - Did jack for us

Frank Sanders - Did less than jack

T.J. Slaughter - Did a little in Jax and basically nota for us

Mike Flynn - Flynn's signing lost us Casey Rabach and Jason Brown. He was a turnstile from day one and wasted space on this roster.

Kevin Johnson - Trade for a guy who nobody wanted

Dale Carter - After a long career we bring in another retread to waste money on

Keydrick Vincent - This guy absolutely sucked. He was a backup in Pit and we grabbed him on a big contract

Steve McNair - Sry but bad trade ans signing. Yeah yeah yeah 13-3 but fell off the planet after that. He was going to be released and I think we could have signed him cheaper on the market

Willis McGahee - I got out of buf now I can be lazy

Frank Walker - No coment needed

Chris Carr - No coment needed

Domonique Foxworth - may be good but that contract was to large

Dawan Landry - He was a FA. We did not need to tender him. He had great rookie yr then sucked after that.

Demetrius Williams - Always hurt and not producing. No need to tender him

L.J. Smith - Always hurt and no need to sign him.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/baltimore-ravens/roster/

I do not know who the Pro player guy is now but he needs to be better at what he does. In the end Ozzie does make the signing so he needs to light a fire under the ass of who is coming up with these losers

What!?! No Jeff Blake!?! :)

Radio Wright?

Yup...Frank Sanders...there was a gem.

There were great FA signings when Harris was here...I won't put up that list but your point about the ton of misses since then is well taken.

Fortunately there were some hits...Mason, Rolle, Bannon, Pryce, ...Birk looks like a solid addition...Leonard :)....

One thing to remember...Ozzie doesn't go for the big slash, high priced FA like Danny Snyder. That list is mainly cheap labor (minus Grbac, Searcey, McNair...)

In Free Agancy it's "Right Player/right price....I guess you get what you pay for.

Not sure what you are complaining about, Unless you expect that we win every sunday, sure we are not winning every game, and sure why did they not get Nolan back.

In 2005 Mason and Rolle did improve our team.

In 2007 we basically only did two things tagged Suggs and signed McGahee.. (who btw was our entire offense in 2007, did score a lot of TDs last year and is leading the NFL in TDs this year) At least I felt pretty good about our roster that year, then again I did not see all those injuries.

In 2006 and 2008 Ozzie made some good signings who helped our team to get 13/11 wins. Maybe you are not pleased with those seasons.. I am, surprised too.

McNair, Pryce and Stills improved our team in 2006. Last year same thing with Ayanbadeyo, Anderson, Neal, Fab Washington and Leonhard, and you migth hate Walker but even he did help us late last season..

This year.. and you are forgetting we also resigned Ray and Suggs. Birk and K. washington has helped us already and LJ Smith.. I think it is difficult to ask for much when Heap is doing his job hopefully he will be there when his number is called.. Foxworth and Carr frankly I am dissapointed, and especially Fox with his huge cap. Landry and DW, its not exactly much we have spend there.

The proplayer guy is now Vincent Newsome together with De Costa.. However it was Kokinis who held the job for the last 4-5 years.. he is now GM for the Browns.. Someone obviously liked what that guy was doing in recent years.

He tends to be burned with the high priced guys. The damn near min salaries of a Leonard type guy we have done well with. It is the guys that eat big chunks of cap space that have hurt us.

Also if you think Willis has been a good signing then I guess you haven't seen the writing on the wall in Owings Mills. If the team wouldn't have taken a huge cap hit this season he would not be on the team now. He came in worked fairly hard for one season other than the Buf game where he looked like he was going to die and the other times when he needed to be pulled because he was worn out in the 4th quarter. Last yr he was a turd because he was complacent and lazy. Now he is trying hard because he is trying to get that next big contract.

Yeah I forgot Rolle being signed this offseason. What was the point? If he was so hurt then why waste cap space we could really use now on him then.

This is probably Mcgahees last year here. These guys need incentives written into their contracts for motivation. The way they play or have played tells the tail. Willis gets a 1 year contract or goodbye. I'm not a fan of any contract longer then 3 years and without incentives laced in the document. If you play well you get paid if you don't see ya. And I don't give a crap who the heck the player is. Mcgahee has shown his colors move em out. The jury is still out on Suggs as far as I'm concerned. If his existing contract is over 3 years the team got taken for a ride.

Why all the hate on McGahee? He has been playing great this season and has been the perfect teammate in his backup role to Ray Rice, Willis worked very hard this offseason I think he got the message. But with the emergence of Rice as a fullyime three down back, and McGahee's cap number next season, I can see Willis being let go. We can draft a backup for Ray.

I thought Ozzie missed a big opportunity this past offseason by not trading for Lito Sheppard. He's a former first rounder and the Jets got him for a 09 5th and a conditional pick in this years draft. Granted Sheppard is currently injured, so the jury is still out on the trade, but I think the Ravens will regret not making a move for him when all is said and done this year.

I think the hate on Willis is that he wasn't brought here to be a back up... and yet, for the last two seasons, he's been extremely limited in playing time. Last year it was a symptom of injury and (in my opinion) laziness. When he did play, he was hit and miss. He turned it on late in the season, and he helped us, but he was not living up to his name or contract.

This season he has seemingly had a new attitude... but I am still disappointed that we are paying him like as a premier back despite the fact that he is our #2 and goal line back. That's just silly.

He's certainly been useful this season... and scored like a machine... but thank in large part to the grunt work of Rice and McClain. That's not deserving of his salary in my mind.

Meanwhile... anyone see the brief bit on Rolle in the Sun the other day? That many don't expect him to play at all this season...

How does this guy get a contract and get on the team? How does he even pass physical? I mean, I understand it was a gamble... but it's kind of silly. We're paying him to not play all season, and knew that coming in.

Meanwhile... anyone see the brief bit on Rolle in the Sun the other day? That many don't expect him to play at all this season...

How does this guy get a contract and get on the team? How does he even pass physical? I mean, I understand it was a gamble... but it's kind of silly. We're paying him to not play all season, and knew that coming in.

DC,

Maybe its Ozzie's early going away gift to Rolle ?

I think the hate on Willis is that he wasn't brought here to be a back up... and yet, for the last two seasons, he's been extremely limited in playing time. Last year it was a symptom of injury and (in my opinion) laziness. When he did play, he was hit and miss. He turned it on late in the season, and he helped us, but he was not living up to his name or contract.

This season he has seemingly had a new attitude... but I am still disappointed that we are paying him like as a premier back despite the fact that he is our #2 and goal line back. That's just silly.

He's certainly been useful this season... and scored like a machine... but thank in large part to the grunt work of Rice and McClain. That's not deserving of his salary in my mind.

I completely agree, but Willis is still here because of the cap hit we would take for releasing him. With the emergence of Ray Rice, and the fact that this team has many holes and needs cap room to fill them, Willis may be asked to restructure his contract to stay or be cut. As much as I like Willis' new attitude and playing this season, we cannot afford to pay a backup that much money. If something were to happen to Rice though, God forbid, I would feel really comfortable with Willis.

Isn't McGahee's contract up after this season? We are definitely just going to move McClain back into the role he was in last year and try to pick up another FB and let Willis go. He's got a big cap number so we should have some extra space to go overpay another DB this offseason haha

Isn't McGahee's contract up after this season? We are definitely just going to move McClain back into the role he was in last year and try to pick up another FB and let Willis go. He's got a big cap number so we should have some extra space to go overpay another DB this offseason haha

No, Willis signed a seven-year, $40.12 million contract on 3/8/07. Here is the breakdown:

The deal contains $15 million guaranteed, including a $7.5 million signing bonus and a $6.5 million roster bonus in the second year.

2009: $620,000 (+ $1.5 million roster bonus)

2010: $3.6 million

2011: $6 million

2012: $6.5 million

2013: $7.2 million

2014: Free Agent.

Cap charges: $4.87 million (2009), $6.35 million (2010), $8.75 million (2011), $9.25 million (2012), $7.5 million (2013).

Willis McGahee

As you can see, his cap number really starts to jump in 2011. I would definitely expect him to be released or restructured by then. I am not sure what the cap hit would be for releasing him next offseason.

Also, I don't see us moving McClain back... I mean, I see us trying to get him more touches when we can, and when it won't diminish Willis' role... but McClain is a great blocker at FB and the versatility of being able to have him on the field at the same time as Rice or McGahee is really nice.

You are totally right on Rolle. There was no need to pay him. If they wanted to give him a gift do it outside of being a player. His signing has hurt the team.

Willis was a bad trade. He has in no way lived up to the contract. As for the injury last yr he dicided to get the surgery during camp instead of the winter. He was being selfish.

It has been pretty much agreed upon by most media outlets that this is the final yr. Also I do not believe there will be an uncapped yr.

How do you come to that statement? Seems to me it would be the case, with all those restrictions next year and fewer FAs, it would probably be less interesting.

And what I believe is that GMs will handle it very carefully. Hopefully they will have a new deal next year.

And thinking about it De wares new contract.. his agent have to think they will get a new deal sooner or later.

I see them getting it worked out but not before we enter the uncapped year that the Ravens can use to clear dead weight on the cap in anticipation of the new deal being in place for the following season.

That could spell the end for some of the other Ravens vets carrying a high cap number.