ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

So true

papasmurfbell

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22338178/the-replacements-outlooks-for-players-stepping-in-for-big-names

The player: Ray Lewis, MLB

The team: Baltimore Ravens

The skinny: Lewis missed a lot of time in 2012, and when he did play he wasn't close to being the same player. But in retirement the team will lose his ability to motivate the defense -- if you believe in those things.

Replacement: Rookie second-round pick Arthur Brown is a fast, athletic linebacker who can run. Sound familiar? Brown should be able to step in and be an even better player than the Lewis we saw in 2012. There, I said it.

Prognosis: Lewis wasn't close to being what some thought he was last season -- even in the playoffs. Getting younger and faster is always better. Just remember, Brown isn't replacing the 2001 version of Lewis.

• • •

The player: Ed Reed, S

The team: Baltimore Ravens

The skinny: The Ravens chose not to make Reed a priority as a free agent and he signed with the Texans. Believe me, if the Ravens wanted to keep him they would have kept him.

Replacement: The Ravens signed Michael Huff from the Raiders. Huff, a former first-round pick, played corner last year for the Raiders, which shows his range. He has never quite lived up to the expectations, but he has talent.

Prognosis: Let's be real: Reed was more name than game last year. The Ravens knew it. Now he did fight through some injuries, but I just didn't see the same player he was even three years ago. Huff isn't a Pro Bowl candidate, but he can do the same things Reed did last year.

They are friggn'n football legends who played past their prime so...yea...athletically the Ravens will be faster and stronger this year.

Ray and Ed kept that D together when it was wiped out by injuries.

They willed that bunch of average Joe's to play all out.

I'm so happy for Ed that he got his Super Bowl ring and for Ray's relentless pursuit for his second. They put up with a lot of shit over the years...a lot of putrid offenses... but gave everything they had to the team.

130203_EdandRay_ss.ss_full.jpg

Totally agree that in terms of play we are actually going to see a step up this year. But very interested to see what happens without that leadership. There's a reason we were always near the top in the red-zone even when our yardage started going downhill. That was always the key and always will be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/ed-reed-i-want-to-make-sure-im-around-later-in-the-season/

Ed Reed joined his former Ravens teammates at the White House on Wednesday and was the subject of some ribbing from President Obama about his gray hair.

Comments about Reed’s age can’t help but draw attention to the fact that he’s recovering from hip surgery that Texans owner Bob McNair said may keep him out for the first couple of weeks of training camp. Reed was asked about his recovery on Wednesday and said he planned to be on the field for the start of the regular season, but cautioned he wouldn’t risk further injury to get back on the field for that game.

“I plan on being back for Week 1,” Reed said, via the Ravens website. “But as you’ve known me for the longest time, I’m going to be smart about my injuries and make sure I’m there for the later part of the season when the team really needs me.”

It’s only the first week of June, which is to say that is it way too early to start talking about Reed missing any part of the regular season. Should he not be ready to go by the middle of training camp date set out by McNair, that’s a different story and one that could put Reed at risk of missing a date with the Ravens in Week Three.