ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ben on the physical decline

vmax

He cost them a playoff spot...

Pittsburgh Steelers

There are NFL scouts who believe quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will continue a steep, physical decline that started several seasons ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22676083/nfl-training-camp-preview-storylines-abound-for-every-team

Steep is a strong word but he's hurt and missing games every season.

Yes....but then he fell apart...as usual...hence scouts talking about him being on the decline.

he came back too soon it was a 6-8 week injury and he came back in 3. In hindsight he should have been sat for the year. Hopefully the new line and blocking scheme keeps him upright
  • Upvote 1

he came back too soon it was a 6-8 week injury and he came back in 3. In hindsight he should have been sat for the year. Hopefully the new line and blocking scheme keeps him upright

And that's why he is considered as being on the decline.

He had knee surgery a month ago.

I wouldn't call it surgery he had his knee scoped the same procedure he had four years ago on his other knee. The last part of last season Ben wasn't himself. Every sports writer and media type said you could see he wasn't ready to play. As I said in another thread that's more on tomlin then Ben. Of course the player especially big Ben is going to say he is ready to play its on the coach to say no. He was in the MVP talks before the injury. You will see this year he is going to have a monster year. With bell in the backfield and the new blocking scheme the Steelers are doing there is no more ignoring the run on defense. The "dink and dunk" offense was looking good last year and if you follow Haley his second year in a offense is when it explodes. We went from a look deep first offense to a look deep once or twice a game offense. That's a huge adjustment for the entire offense. The fact that they were still rolling along with it last season until the injury says very good things for this year. Sleep on the Steelers that's fine you would think you would have learned by now that the Steelers don't go away for long.

• Upvote 1

With Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, there's no longer such a thing as "minor" surgery.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/with_pittsburgh_steelers_qb_be.html

There's no denying he has been beat up but he keeps picking himself up. If you can't respect the way he plays and the football big Ben then you don't respect football. His off the field life may have went through a rough patch but so have many others and so far he seems to have turned it around like a few others have. On the field though he is a warrior. The injury last year was a freak injury and Ben was on pace for his fewest hits ever so as long as the line stays healthy and the quick strike offense keeps rolling Ben will be fine. Hopefully having a run game will help out a lot as well.
  • Upvote 1

There's no denying he has been beat up but he keeps picking himself up. If you can't respect the way he plays and the football big Ben then you don't respect football. His off the field life may have went through a rough patch but so have many others and so far he seems to have turned it around like a few others have. On the field though he is a warrior. The injury last year was a freak injury and Ben was on pace for his fewest hits ever so as long as the line stays healthy and the quick strike offense keeps rolling Ben will be fine. Hopefully having a run game will help out a lot as well.

What are you going on about? How does talking about Rothelizsajkajfaewburger being injured a lot have to do with me not respecting football. That's quite a ridiculous leap and I'm not going to entertain it. Rothelizsajkajfaewburger is on the decline; respect that fact.

What are you going on about? How does talking about Rothelizsajkajfaewburger being injured a lot have to do with me not respecting football. That's quite a ridiculous leap and I'm not going to entertain it. Rothelizsajkajfaewburger is on the decline; respect that fact.

He's like that boxer that no matter how hard you hit him or how often you hit him he is getting back up. After so many times you have to start respecting that. That's what made the old school players so great. They were men.

• Upvote 1

For 3 yrs now I have said that they need to find Ben's replacement. The way he plays he will not be a guy who can play for 20 yrs.

Like I said I want to see what it is like if the line stays healthy and have a running game you have to respect. As long as those two things happen with this new offense Ben won't be taking as many hits.

• Upvote 1

He's not making it through 16 game seasons now. If the team makes the playoffs, then what are the odds on him being healthy and effective come playoff time?

Not good.

Then again...the Steelers won their Super Bowls in spite of him.

He's not making it through 16 game seasons now. If the team makes the playoffs, then what are the odds on him being healthy and effective come playoff time?

Not good.

Then again...the Steelers won their Super Bowls in spite of him.

Yeah Ben let a 10 point fourth quarter lead go against the cards and troy threw two perfect passes to Holmes. Also if you remember in 05 he threw the team on his back in the playoffs. He was 22 and starting in the super bowl nerves got to him just like a bunch of older people before him.
  • Upvote 1

If you want to see how Ben's career is going then take a look at what happened to Steve McNair.

No doubt these 2 guys are warriors and battle through injuries like no other QBs but all those hits every season took a toll on Steve's body and his arm just fell off at the end causing him to retire early. I just see the exact same characteristics in both guys and I expect Ben will be done in 2 or 3 seasons.