ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I'm Scared

deeshopper

I didn't want to start a new topic so I thought I'd put this in the topic that had to do with shooting and being scared:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/towson/bs-md-co-body-found-20130717,0,2293567.story

This was on my block nearly right in front of my house. Our street was blocked off today. It was a circus.

This was a freaking semi-automatic that was fired in a very quiet neighborhood. I'm a registered Republican and all for the second amendment rights but our unintelligent and reckless society getting to the point where people can't be trusted and need to be babied. This morning the second ammendment could have eliminated my "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness." I left to go to the gym ten minutes before the shooting that occured 100 yards away. I understand the second ammendment was created to give people a means of self-defense in the event of a corrupt government. I don't own a gun. I'll take the odds that we never get to such a situation in my lifetime. And if we do, I'll happily listen and obey the side that has the most guns. Once again playing the odds.

I am for responsible gun ownership. I think people should be able to own AR's or onything else that can be used by the police. People don't need anti personel or nukes. I think realistic background checks should be done. I would also have every weapon sold have 1 spent round and casing to hold as a sort of finger print for that gun in case it is used in a crime. I have no issue with a database of who owns what. All of that said the govt can't be allowed to roll up and take peoples guns like the guy from bmore county where the illegally comfiscated them or what the NJ authorities tried to do with a family up there to demand to see all their guns.

I do think the NRA has become dangerous. They say that people on the terrorist watch list should be allowed to own. They don't want any backgrounds because they want nuts to buy weapons and use them to scare others to buy them too. They don't work for their members. They work for the manufacturers.

I don't know that Zimmerman is guilty of 2nd degree murder, but I was banking on manslaughter - bad decisions and negligence contributing to Martin's death. Instead, even that is written off by an unproven self-defense claim.

Wasn't it the prosecutors job to prove 2nd degree or manslaughter? They did neither

Sure they have.

It just came acrossed on our local news down here a story that happened in Baltimore Sat/Sunday about 3 youths beating a Hispanic man and yellin, "'This is for Trayvon" unbelieveable...

I found the story.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-trayvon-zimmerman-beating-folo-20130716,0,2405850.story

I don't know that Zimmerman is guilty of 2nd degree murder, but I was banking on manslaughter - bad decisions and negligence contributing to Martin's death. Instead, even that is written off by an unproven self-defense claim.

Wasn't it the prosecutors job to prove 2nd degree or manslaughter? They did neither

I expected manslaughter. I can't totally put it all on the prosecuter. The police pooch screwed the investigation from the start. How is it Martin is drug tested and background checked and not Zimmerman? I would not be shocked if they applied the blue wall to Zimmerman because he does their leg work for them.

http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news/Closing-arguments-begin-in-John-Spooner-murder-trial--215843421.html

Here is another case for you.

Zimmerman was taken into custody the night of the shooting. The police followed all the proper procedures. This is from TM wiki page.

"Zimmerman was handcuffed at the scene of the shooting and taken to the Sanford police station for questioning, arriving there at 7:52 p.m. according to a police video.[12] His gun, a black Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm semi-automatic pistol, taken from him by Officer Smith at the scene, was placed into evidence.[90][91]

Zimmerman was interviewed by Investigator D. Singleton and by Detective Chris Serino on the night of the shooting.[11][92] He also underwent voice stress analysis, a type of lie detector test, on the night of the shooting.[81] Crime Scene Tech D. Smith photographed his injuries and hands and collected gun shot residue. Zimmerman's clothes were taken as evidence after his wife arrived with a change of clothes.[93] The day after the shooting, Zimmerman performed a videotaped reenactment of the incident for police.[81]

Zimmerman was not given a drug or alcohol test.[79] Peter Bella, a retired Chicago Police forensic investigator, told The Washington Times, "Except for DUIs, police cannot test suspects for drugs or alcohol, unless the accused demands or consents to it, or they get a warrant".[94][95][96] The police did not suspect that Zimmerman was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and he was never asked to take such a test."

Not the Samford SOP's but by and large the same policies are used around the country.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8909120E-39BC-4C32-80C1-FF3C3E21DC88/0/SOPSearchable070813.pdf

8.43.4 PROCEDURES

The use of a forensic medical examination is approved for the investigations of violent crime offenses and some

traffic accident investigations (e.g. shootings, cuttings, physical assaults, injured persons, serious vehicle

collisions, suspect examinations, etc.). This approval must come from the on-duty commander of the division,

PIU, Traffic Unit, Homicide Unit, SVU, CSU or CACU. Once approved, and prior to contacting the service

provider, the officer shall collect all applicable documentation needed for the examination. This documentation

includes reports, photographs, medical records and other required items. For traffic accidents where alcohol use

is suspected, the DUI Investigation Questionnaire (LMPD #12-0002) shall be completed and submitted with the

request. Officers shall not request that the service provider obtain these items for them.

Officers requesting a forensic medical examination of a juvenile (any person under the age of 18), must first

receive permission from the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian.

It is important that evidence be collected as soon as possible, generally within 72 hours of the incident. Once the

documentation is secured, the officer shall notify the designated point-of-contact for the service provider. The

designee shall make arrangements with the requesting officer for a meeting location to deliver all of the

necessary investigative items. The designee may also ask the officer to provide additional information, as

needed, for each individual examination.

Rojr - Zimmerman had just shot a man and admitted to it. They had every reason to do every and any reasonable search/seizure/test to ensure the shooting was justified. A warrant would have been easy to obtain. There's also little harm in holding the guy overnight, just in case. Right? I mean, you shot a guy! I think the other travesty, as I said before, is in that while all this was going on - no one thought to say maybe this kid lives nearby. It took a while to figure out who Trayvon was. To me, that says they immediately believed his "the guy was a dangerous intruder" even though it wasn't true.

Crav - the prosecutor has to prove he killed someone. That was easy. He admitted it. My argument is that if you admit to shooting someone, shouldn't it be on YOU to prove that it was justified? According to current law in Florida (and most other states), you don't. You just have to say it justified and the police/prosecutor have to prove otherwise. One bruise on your nose and no eye witnesses... easy enough to say "self defense, prove it wasn't!"

So, did the prosecution have to prove it was manslaughter? Sure. And they did, in my mind, the moment Zimmerman said "Sure, I shot him." But why do WE have to prove that you were justified? At the least, the standard of proof should be different for self defense, in my mind.