ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I'm Scared

deeshopper

Zimmerman is as much hispanic as Obama is black

exactly, they are both biracial, but members of a certain race are quick to say he's hispanic. when he's half hispanic and half caucasian. But if his father was the hispanic parent these same people would say because his father is hispanic that makes him hispanic. but they don't bring that part up because his father is caucasian, so that would mean he's caucasian.

Nationality and race are two different things. My whole point was the media is very quick to judge "RACE" by the color of your skin. This was quickly labeled a white on black crime when it wasn't 100% correct.

Nationality and race are two different things. My whole point was the media is very quick to judge "RACE" by the color of your skin. This was quickly labeled a white on black crime when it wasn't 100% correct.

Right, which brings me back to the "white Hispanic" defense that was made.

Zimmerman's father is caucasian, right? If Zimmerman's last name was Alvarez and his father was hispanic, Caucasians would jump all over that , with that "whatever race the father is thats what the child is" Bullcrap. And even now , they are so quick to say he's hispanic, that's not 100% correct either. The media is not 100% correct and neither are the people who are trying to pass him off as hispanic.

If Zimmerman was named Alvarez this wouldn't be on national tv. Sharpton needed a whitey to vilify and Zimmerman was close enough in his mind. I'm just telling you like it is. The media says Obama is black, Hallie Berry is black, Tiger Woods is black, The Rock is black, why isn't Zimmerman hispanic?

If Zimmerman was named Alvarez this wouldn't be on national tv. Sharpton needed a whitey to vilify and Zimmerman was close enough in his mind. I'm just telling you like it is. The media says Obama is black, Hallie Berry is black, Tiger Woods is black, The Rock is black, why isn't Zimmerman hispanic?

I hear this argument all the time, and I just don't understand it. Sharpton needed a whitey?

All of those people you just named are mixed race individuals. Society, and some of the people on the list, identify them as black because when you look at them, they appear to be black. Are you telling me that when you look at Obama, he resonates as a white guy to you? Hispanic is so general. You do understand that there are white Hispanics and black Hispanics, just as there are black Africans and white Africans, right?

Yes I know the difference. My point with Sharpton is that Baltimore is on pace for 250 plus homicides. Why isn't he marching in the street trying to stop gang violence. He's making a stink in FLA because a "white" guy shot a "black" guy.

Yes I know the difference. My point with Sharpton is that Baltimore is on pace for 250 plus homicides. Why isn't he marching in the street trying to stop gang violence. He's making a stink in FLA because a "white" guy shot a "black" guy.

Once you realize how Sharpton has been marginalized within his own black community, you realize that it doesn't matter what he says. He's largely irrelevant. This coming from leaders of the NAACP. But, the media continues to prop him up as some sort of spokesperson for black Americans so that when he speaks, the comments and reactions will be similiar to yours.

• Upvote 1

Once you realize how Sharpton has been marginalized within his own black community, you realize that it doesn't matter what he says. He's largely irrelevant. This coming from leaders of the NAACP. But, the media continues to prop him up as some sort of spokesperson for black Americans so that when he speaks, the comments and reactions will be similiar to yours.

Very good point. For millions of American the only viewpoint they see is from the media.

You're nationality is not determined by where your parents are born. It is determined by where you are born. My mother was born in Jamaica, but that doesn't make me Jamaican.

She types as she washes her jerk chicken down with a swig of spiced rum and reaches for her post meal joint while reggae blasts from speakers above which posters of Usain Bolt and John Candy look down.

• Upvote 1

There was so much wrong with this case and still is. I don't know what role race played in Zimmerman's actions - I'm sure some role - but it was more egregious how race played a role in the way police responded (releasing Zimmerman, not collecting evidence and not even noticing that Martin lived just houses away).

I am also disturbed by non-race issues, including the fact that "self defense" is no longer an affirmative defense in most states. It used to be that if you admitted killing someone, YOU had to prove it was justified. Now, as in this case, the state had to prove it wasn't justified. It was "he said, he said" where one of the witnesses is dead.

I don't know that Zimmerman is guilty of 2nd degree murder, but I was banking on manslaughter - bad decisions and negligence contributing to Martin's death. Instead, even that is written off by an unproven self-defense claim.