ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

McKinnie---WTF

oldno82

Crav...you know what my stance was all offseason with re-signing McKinnie. This is not surprising to me in the least and I can't believe anyone else would be surprised. His track record speaks for itself. I will bet anything that he misses at least half the games this year (for whatever reasons). I love our front office, but LT is far too important to gamble on and that is exactly what they have done with McKinnie.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/bryant-mckinnie-back-at-practice-for-ravens/

Bryant McKinnie back at practice for Ravens

Ravens tackle Bryant McKinnie didn’t practice with the team on Thursday because he reported to camp carrying too much weight for the team’s liking.

Coach John Harbaugh said he was “disappointed” and that the team would fix the issue. And fix it they have.

McKinnie either dropped a lot of weight overnight or the team decided they had made their point about his need to stay in the best shape possible because McKinnie was back out on the field with the rest of the team on Friday. Assuming the conditioning issue doesn’t crop up again, he should remain on the field as the team’s starting left tackle for the rest of camp and into the season.

Not every Ravens starter was on the field for the start of practice, however. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that left guard Kelechi Osemele wasn’t on the field after injuring his right leg during Thursday’s practice. There’s no indication that it’s anything serious, which means it could cease to be an issue for the team as quickly as McKinnie’s weight.

So, any thoughts on how long he'll be in the doghouse? Apparently a season's worth of it last year didn't change his attitude much - he quickly learned that "we need him" so he can do whatever he wants, right?

I want to pin this to the posts from last year where everyone's giving Harbs a hard time for holding him out too long.

No easy solution.

So, any thoughts on how long he'll be in the doghouse? Apparently a season's worth of it last year didn't change his attitude much - he quickly learned that "we need him" so he can do whatever he wants, right?

I want to pin this to the posts from last year where everyone's giving Harbs a hard time for holding him out too long.

No easy solution.

He doesn't need to be in the doghouse. it's day one/two of training camp. he's a vet. as long as he's in shape for game one.. I don't see how it matters. I remember the days no player was in shape coming into camp.

He couldn't finish practice today.

Here's a video of it. You see him lumbering around...dogging it. Reminded me of kids in youth league.

Watch this and it will put to rest any questioning of Harbaugh not starting him last year. There was no dog house. If you can't perform in practice than you can't play.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/726-Training-Camp-Practice-Highlights/f4e67550-4622-47a8-8e1a-f4c8557bc452

Clearly what this team needs is more McKinneys. More out of shape. More, "as long as I'm there on day one" attitudes. We'll see how that works out.

How do we know he'll be ready for day one? How do we know even if he makes weight that he'll be skilled enough given the change in his body (and age!)?

Harbaugh gets a bad rap for being tough on his guys and expecting a lot - and holding them accountable when they don't meet expectations, especially regarding attitude and preparation. Everyone said last year that McKinney took it the worst and the team suffered. The team may have suffered in the immediate without him there, but did it suffer in the long-run? Because if you let McKinney do this, won't you expect others to?

And if all that's beyond you... the man is paid MILLIONS a year and gets a solid 6 months off, even after an "extended" season of playoffs. His one responsibility in that six months is to stay physically fit enough to perform. But hey, let's let it go.

• 2 months later...

Crav...you know what my stance was all offseason with re-signing McKinnie. This is not surprising to me in the least and I can't believe anyone else would be surprised. His track record speaks for itself. I will bet anything that he misses at least half the games this year (for whatever reasons). I love our front office, but LT is far too important to gamble on and that is exactly what they have done with McKinnie.

Oh happy day! Our front office finally listened to me. :thumbup:

I see they are trying to trade him. I don't see any takers so he would be cut. He is going to be living under a bridge somewhere. He might be dumber than Gaither.

Either way the Ravens are burned with his CAP hit, if they are that dis-satisfied with his play, cut him if no trade can be made

I don't see him being cut. There's no CAP reason to do it and with the possibility of injuries he'll just ride the doghouse like he did last year.

Thank you for actually being logical. We gain nothing by cutting him. As we saw last year and have seen today with his quotes, he plays better when he is the backup or actually has competition. He is staying.