ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

We're in the Money

vmax

While the economy continues to struggle, residents in the wealthiest states continue to make far more than in the poorest. In 2012, Maryland remained the richest state in the country, with a median household income of $71,221. Mississippi was again the poorest, with an income of $37,095 — nearly half that of Maryland's.

These are America's richest and poorest states.

1. Maryland

> Median household income: $71,122
> Population: 5,884,563 (19th highest)
> Unemployment rate: 6.8% (17th lowest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 10.3% (3rd lowest)

Maryland was the only state in the country with a median household income to exceed $70,000 in both 2011 and 2012. Also, nearly 11% of households in Maryland earned $200,000 or more last year, the third-highest percentage in the nation and close to double the national rate of 5.9%. People in Maryland were more likely to be employed and to hold good jobs. Just 6.8% of the workforce was unemployed in 2012, compared to 8.1% nationwide. Conversely, 15.5% of the workforce, the highest percentage in the nation, were employed in professional, scientific and management occupations, which are generally high skill and high pay.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/21/americas-richest-states/2845525/

Then again, we're so heavily taxed by the State and local governments, who can not manage money, that it feels like we're living in Mississippi.

I am so happy with the new express toll lanes and rates I actually sent them a comment. I wonder if I will be audited this year? :)

The way I see it:

New gas tax July 1st

Toll rates double July 1st from .75 to $1.40 a trip. SO per month my toll costs has gone from $30 to $56.

For someone in my salary range, those costs - while not killers, do affect my life.

So then there is the new express toll lanes. The commute in the Baltimore area is ranked one of the worst in the nation. So to ease the commute the government has decided to use tax payer money to build new lanes then to charge us a cost to use them. Plus the cost will be higher at certain times than others. So when you really need to go to work or something, you will have to pay more. Thats extortion. Plus if they didnt have the wall between the regular commuters and the elite commuters, they could have probably added two lanes in each direction instead of 1. I cant pay, or wont pay, $2.50 each way to use these new lanes. What if others dont? Then the state used our money to build lanes no one uses and the gridlock is as bad as ever.

Plus to rub salt in it, my commute has been made worse due to the construction of these new elite lanes.

I feel these decisions are being made by people that dont have to commute and if they do probably do not have to pay tolls. At least I am assume state officials do not have to have to pay them, or if they do they get reimbursed. Maybe I am wrong.

Edited by Spen
  • Upvote 1

Spen - agree 110%.

I understand the toll increase - especially given how long it has been since tolls have been raised - but I still have issue. First, I have issue with the changes not being incremental; why is there not a system that helps us keep tolls at the effective rate? Second, why are commuter tolls going up 100% while non-commuter tolls are only going up 30-40%. Perhaps the discount on commuters was too much at first, but I have seen no explanation. Like you, I've gone from about $25 a month to about $50.

And the express toll lanes are absurd. We've also seen the gas tax increase - which I totally understand and am not really opposed to. But where is that money going if all this new construction is going to be at cost via tolls? Why not simply add HOV lanes like in the DC area? No fee, just follow the rules. Or why not just expand the number of lanes, as you said? And meanwhile, we can't even get legitimate "express" lanes for EZPass users in this state. In most other states, EZPass users are directed to a no-slow zone and tolls are read like on the ICC (how much traffic is that getting?). But here, I get stuck in a line of 15 cars slowing to 5mph to go through an unmanned toll booth.

All these decisions are made, not just by people who don't have to deal with the effects, but by people who consistently ignore basic rules of logic, including Ockham's razor. Everything these days has to be trade and exchange - quid pro quo - redirecting funds - whatever you want to call it. How about decisions just made that follow the basic principle of utilitarianism: the greatest good for the greatest number.

I don't know why people are surprised. Crabs, football and taxes are what Maryland does. IMO it is what it is, it's expensive to live in this corridor of the country.

DC as for the HOV lanes, growing up in the DC area they don't work very well. 495 traffic is 10x worse than 695. As far as why the 95 EZ Pass lanes aren't HOT tolls like the ICC, simply not enough room. That works for the ICC because all lanes are toll lanes so cameras can catch everything. 95 is already cramped, to set up HOT tolls you would have to create a complete separate section of the highway like the new HOT toll lanes on the VA side of 495. In fact VA got rid of the HOV lanes to install the HOT toll lanes. The VA side of the beltway is also twelve lanes wide. I mean I guess there is probably technology available to make it happen, but I'm sure the cost is enormous like anything else nowadays.

Not sure I agree 100% on the first comment, Cleetz. I mean, Maryland certainly runs its taxes like few others - but I also can't say I entirely disagree with many of our tax policies (some, certainly). Ultimately, I hate taxes, but I value good schools, good roads (generally), good hospitals, etc. The surprising thing is an especially bad tax with an especially bad purpose and especially bad incentives.

As for other uses - I am sure that I don't know all the reasons why it couldn't be HOV or other options, but they were just mentions of alternate uses for lane expansion. I agree the ICC system can't be used on 895, but I don't understand why, when 2 lanes are designated as EZ Pass only at all times, the lanes cannot be "fully" EZ Pass designated and allow drivers to maintain at least half-normal speed. Instead, we are filed through tiny toll structures that aren't actually manned ever. (I do now think of one major reason - the frequent lane shifting in 895 would be hard to handle; but I hardly think unmanageable).

And DC ... well, of course DC sucks. DC's traffic sucks even when the beltway is 6 lanes wide on each side. We're going from 3 lanes on 95 to 4. As Spen said, it could have probably been 5 lanes if done well. But even 1 extra lane would have been nice. Why does it have to be a toll lane? HOV could easily reduce congestion and not be a fee based.

What is it??? One penny on the taxed dollar that actually manifests in something accomplished?

Generally it funds 26 guys to change 1 $100 light bulb....after another 37 line their pockets...?

You all havent seen traffic until you have experienced the I-4 into Orlando..Its the only free road into Orlando..The 417 is the toll road and for me to use it would cost 7.50 each way..Im only 23 miles north of Orlando.

I interviewed with Penske for a position in Logistics, which is located in downtown Orlando, 1 1/2 hr commute for 23 miles..I dont like sitting on the roadway, so I opted for the lesser paying Customer Service position in Daytona, which is 20 miles north of me, but the difference is, no tolls and Im home in a half hour.

I would put the I-4 traffic right in there with 495 & 695..

I get off work at 6:30 pm, I catch the 7:00 news on the radio, and daily I still hear of major delays on I-4 heading out of Orlando, I swear its a 4hr rush hour on a daily basis, going and leaving.

You all havent seen traffic until you have experienced the I-4 into Orlando..Its the only free road into Orlando..The 417 is the toll road and for me to use it would cost 7.50 each way..Im only 23 miles north of Orlando.

I interviewed with Penske for a position in Logistics, which is located in downtown Orlando, 1 1/2 hr commute for 23 miles..I dont like sitting on the roadway, so I opted for the lesser paying Customer Service position in Daytona, which is 20 miles north of me, but the difference is, no tolls and Im home in a half hour.

I would put the I-4 traffic right in there with 495 & 695..

I get off work at 6:30 pm, I catch the 7:00 news on the radio, and daily I still hear of major delays on I-4 heading out of Orlando, I swear its a 4hr rush hour on a daily basis, going and leaving.

It's bad I agree and they seem to always have road works somewhere along the I4 and if not then there is an accident. It probably doesn't help that people are commuting home around about the time of the thunder and lightning storms which just makes things x10 worse.

Thankfully I'm normally only on it for a small stretch of the I4 as there are a couple other routes we take going south. But if you can afford it the 417 and Florida Turnpike are great to travel on.

It's bad I agree and they seem to always have road works somewhere along the I4 and if not then there is an accident. It probably doesn't help that people are commuting home around about the time of the thunder and lightning storms which just makes things x10 worse.

Thankfully I'm normally only on it for a small stretch of the I4 as there are a couple other routes we take going south. But if you can afford it the 417 and Florida Turnpike are great to travel on.

You live down here Mad Man?

Well we can thank our Democratic run state officials for doing what they've always done, create a problem and solve it by taxing the doody out of the same people that voted them in....So who is really at fault for that ??????

You can't plant corn and expect to get apples for a harvest, although the Dems continue to try.....Brilliant !!

So as Deion says; "pay da man"....

Ravens Proud !!!!

My parents own a place near Championsgate so I'm over quite regularly for a vacation. But you knew that, you recommended Joe's Crab Shack to me :thumbup:

You need Togo to Joe's Crab Shack in Daytona , it is in the Atlantic Ocean, also if you're on Facebook, Orlando ravens flock, I frequent there

Edited by cravnravn

Not sure I agree 100% on the first comment, Cleetz. I mean, Maryland certainly runs its taxes like few others - but I also can't say I entirely disagree with many of our tax policies (some, certainly). Ultimately, I hate taxes, but I value good schools, good roads (generally), good hospitals, etc. The surprising thing is an especially bad tax with an especially bad purpose and especially bad incentives.

I'm thinking we agree. I value those same things, which is why I don't have a problem with the gas tax. I have a problem with how our state politicians sell these policies to the public, but that's another matter. Anyways, that is exactly the point I was making: good public services aren't cheap so living in this area of the country will he expensive. As a result people shouldn't be surprised when taxes like the road toll comes up. But you hit the head on the nail... This one isn't very efficient.

I use ICC 200 every day. It costs $4 one way so it's expensive as shit for about 13-15 miles of road...but...it's beautiful, clean and safe and it just might save my life because I don't have to travel on 495. If I have to use 495 it adds at least 45 minutes on my commute during rush hour so 200 is worth it. No toll booths = Great!

I use ICC 200 every day. It costs $4 one way so it's expensive as shit for about 13-15 miles of road...but...it's beautiful, clean and safe and it just might save my life because I don't have to travel on 495. If I have to use 495 it adds at least 45 minutes on my commute during rush hour so 200 is worth it. No toll booths = Great!

That road is a joke, my trucks would use it, it was 8 bucks for them 1 way, they need to lower that toll.

That road is a joke, my trucks would use it, it was 8 bucks for them 1 way, they need to lower that toll.

With how much they paid for that bad boy that toll is not going down anytime soon. I agree with max though, the ICC is great! When I have to commute to central Montgomery County it saves a lot of time.

Yeah giving a tower all that city aid. Gott alove corprate wellfare.

Exactly right. A lot of city residents today will not be a part of the potential prosperity of the city in a couple of decades. Gentrification has occured in nearly every prosperous city in the US. Is it morally right? Probably not. But that's just how development works in society. These liberal city mayors are really nothing more than Reagan Republicans. It's all two-sides of the same coin.