ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cap and FA Situation

vmax

I don't want the Ravens to renegotiate contracts. That is how Pittsburgh got into trouble.

I totally agree.

It still pisses me off that all we got for Boldin was a 6th round pick from Harb's brother. That whole deal has a smell to it.

Ozzie made the deal not Harbs. They were going to cut him so they got something.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree.

Ozzie made the deal not Harbs. They were going to cut him so they got something.

I believe Harbs called his bro when it became evident Oz was going to cut him & that was how the deal came about. I also think we could have done better than just a 6th...at least get a 4th. The Bay Area was all over what a steal that was for the 49ers.

A 6th > nothing which was what we were getting when we cut him. If we can get some team to pay a 4th for Suggs then great but I can't see it. We are never lucky enough to get one of the stupid teams to throw draft picks at us for players past their primes.

YES, what took so long

Now with that being said, only a fool would pin this year directly on joe, when we had pizz poor production at RB , the entire o line, te position, and were missing our co- MVP wr from last season for 6 weeks,

Joe is our qb, he's not a miracle worker

If there's one area I'm most confident in Ravens replacing players, it's the defensive front 7. The one FA addition that would literally make me shed tears of joy would be Alex Mack. Can anyone fully grasp how much he would instantly improve the OL. The $7.8m cap savings from Suggs in 2014 can make this happen. I think Mack wanted to stay in Cleveland, but I think he is pissed (as many are) about the firing of Chudzinski. Next year, we have both Smith's to worry about. In my opinion, they absolutely cannot let Jimmy Smith walk. He will command a good chunk of change. Does anyone want to see Torrey Smith go? The $8.5m cap savings from Ngata in 2015 would go a long way towards keeping both of these guys. Who does everyone want to see the Ravens shell out money to...players entering there prime or players whose best days are behind them?

It's only a steal because the 9ers are in the playoffs. Nothing was said when we cut heap and mason because they went to teams that stink.

Yep. Also there were time constraints to get the trade done.

A 6th > nothing which was what we were getting when we cut him. If we can get some team to pay a 4th for Suggs then great but I can't see it. We are never lucky enough to get one of the stupid teams to throw draft picks at us for players past their primes.

Have the Ravens ever really tried?

Funny how people are quick to point out that Suggz' production and play on the field didn't match his contract, but refuse to use that formula when assessing Flacco.

So true.

Now with that being said, only a fool would pin this year directly on joe, when we had pizz poor production at RB , the entire o line, te position, and were missing our co- MVP wr from last season for 6 weeks,

Joe is our qb, he's not a miracle worker

Who said it was all Joe's fault?

Suggs' contract was signed after 2008.

2011 and the first half of 2013 were excellent

2010 was okay

2009, 2012 and the last half of 2013 were very bad

Judging from this and the fact that he is on the downside of his career...I feel the Ravens are better served to use his $7.8m in cap savings elsewhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/ozzie-newsome-ravens-have-to-talk-about-whether-to-keep-suggs/

Ozzie Newsome: Ravens have to talk about whether to keep Suggs

The Ravens were barreling toward a Super Bowl win at this time last year, but Wednesday isn’t a practice day for them in 2014.

It’s the day that owner Steve Bisciotti, General Manager Ozzie Newsome and coach John Harbaugh met the media for a postseason press conference. One of the topics that came up during the proceedings was the future of linebacker Terrell Suggs with the organization.

He has a $12.4 million cap number in 2014, the final year of his contract with the Ravens, and Newsome said Wednesday that the team needs to discuss what to do about the longtime fixture on their defense. A league source recently told PFT that Suggs would like to negotiate an extension with the team and Newsome said at the press conference that he’s open to extending players headed into the final year of their contracts.

Newsome also said he wasn’t afraid to let players walk, though, and Suggs was a lot less productive in the second half of the 2013 season than he was while registering nine sacks in the first eight games. If the Ravens decide the final eight games are more predictive of where things are headed, they may decide to devote their funds elsewhere.

Among the possibilities on that front are getting bigger on the interior of the offensive line, finding a playmaking free safety and using the franchise tag on one of their impending free agents. Those were all things Newsome mentioned during a press conference that the Ravens would like to have later in the year come 2015.