ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Franchise Pitta? Why?

rastaman831226

Pay Pitta the average top five average salary for TE or slot receiver? Easy answer - not a shot. Pitta, on his best day, is merely a part time TE who cannot block nor get YAC. As a Slot, he's only good against zone defenses; despite his size he cannot get off the blocks because of his lack of speed and quickness. So why is the local sports media pushing this idea of franchising a part time player still coming off a hip injury?

Let him walk only if the FO is finally 100 % sure that it can draft a TE or WR after numerous failed attempts (save Torrey and Pitta). Otherwise, you at least retain your known quantities. We need to add value and enhance our receiving corps.

Btw- I am tired of watching these playoff teams with a cadre of TE and WRs.

Why? Maybe it's because Pitta is one of their best offensive players. The Ravens have a proven talent here. I believe they blew it with Boldin and I believe they know they blew it. They are not going to make that same mistake twice.

Why? Maybe it's because Pitta is one of their best offensive players. The Ravens have a proven talent here. I believe they blew it with Boldin and I believe they know they blew it. They are not going to make that same mistake twice.

Sorry...they didn't blow it with Boldin. They followed the same philosophy they always follow and it's one that is correct at least 80% of the time. That philosophy is it's better to release a player a year too soon than a year too late. The Ravens are consistently good because their front office is consistent in their decision making. If the Ravens had gone against their philosophy, caved in and kept Boldin at $2mil more than they thought his value was and then Boldin had a terrible year...then, you could say the Ravens blew it. No front office is going to be "right" 100% of the time, but the successful ones are the ones that don't waffle back and forth in their philosophies. Think about how many veterans part ways with the Ravens. Now think about how many go on to thrive with their new teams. It's very minimal.

Sorry...they didn't blow it with Boldin. They followed the same philosophy they always follow and it's one that is correct at least 80% of the time. That philosophy is it's better to release a player a year too soon than a year too late. The Ravens are consistently good because their front office is consistent in their decision making. If the Ravens had gone against their philosophy, caved in and kept Boldin at $2mil more than they thought his value was and then Boldin had a terrible year...then, you could say the Ravens blew it. No front office is going to be "right" 100% of the time, but the successful ones are the ones that don't waffle back and forth in their philosophies. Think about how many veterans part ways with the Ravens. Now think about how many go on to thrive with their new teams. It's very minimal.

Can't agree with you on Boldin. This season would have been the last year of Boldin's original Ravens' contract and as we've all seen from his performance in S.F. demanding Boldin take a $2 million dollar cut in his salary after his pivotal role in bringing the Lombardi to Baltimore was a ludicrous act.

Can't agree with you on Boldin. This season would have been the last year of Boldin's original Ravens' contract and as we've all seen from his performance in S.F. demanding Boldin take a $2 million dollar cut in his salary after his pivotal role in bringing the Lombardi to Baltimore was a ludicrous act.

Remember when Oz touted signing Huff, Spears, R McClain with Boldin's money...... Serious egg on Oz's face

I am over it but was never convinced they couldn't have figured out some way, some how to keep Boldin while locking up Flacco.

Unrealistic ? Maybe, but I am still not convinced (not the Ozzie or anyone else on this board gives $.02 what I think). I was fine with several moves (or non-moves) - Pollard, Ellerbe, Williams, Kruger - just not letting ALL of leadership walk, retire

or leave. And left with zero leadership.

Well, now that the ship has sailed, Ozzie et al need to quickly rediscover their collective mojo in FA acq's and the draft. If not, we are going to start trending south in our Division. As it is, we are on the bubble and in danger of joining

the marginalized and irrelevants of the NFL.

• Upvote 2

Seriously...how fantastic is our front office??!! All of the players the Ravens have parted ways with (in just the last 3 years alone) and the only one people can bitch and complain about is Boldin.

Don't change a thing Ozzie!!!

• Upvote 1

Seriously...how fantastic is our front office??!! All of the players the Ravens have parted ways with (in just the last 3 years alone) and the only one people can bitch and complain about is Boldin.

Don't change a thing Ozzie!!!

For whats its worth I liked Pollard too.

I am over it but was never convinced they couldn't have figured out some way, some how to keep Boldin while locking up Flacco.

Unrealistic ? Maybe, but I am still not convinced (not the Ozzie or anyone else on this board gives $.02 what I think). I was fine with several moves (or non-moves) - Pollard, Ellerbe, Williams, Kruger - just not letting ALL of leadership walk, retire

or leave. And left with zero leadership.

Well, now that the ship has sailed, Ozzie et al need to quickly rediscover their collective mojo in FA acq's and the draft. If not, we are going to start trending south in our Division. As it is, we are on the bubble and in danger of joining

the marginalized and irrelevants of the NFL.

Thats how I feel. I like Ozzie and think he does a good job, but he makes mistakes too. The Boldin moves were a mistake in my opinion. The fact that Ozzie says a top offseason priority is a reciever who can pick up a key 3rd and 7 makes me think Ozzie knows it was a mistake too.

Remember when Oz touted signing Huff, Spears, R McClain with Boldin's money...... Serious egg on Oz's face

No...I don't remember this. I remember Dumervil. The Dumervil signing (when it was officially done) all centered around when the Boldin trade became official and the Ravens had the cap space. I remember Boldin being out of the country (some charity trip) and not being available to take his physical with SF.

Thats how I feel. I like Ozzie and think he does a good job, but he makes mistakes too. The Boldin moves were a mistake in my opinion. The fact that Ozzie says a top offseason priority is a reciever who can pick up a key 3rd and 7 makes me think Ozzie knows it was a mistake too.

I don't think the priority is a receiver who can pick up a key 3rd and 7 AND is in the twilight of his career AND is relatively expensive is a top priority though. If the Ravens sign Boldin this offseason to a substantial contract, then you can make that assumption.

Let me ask you this. If the Ravens follow a specific philosophy when making personnel decisions (with veterans especially) and they are successful with 9 out of 10 decisions, does that really make the 1 out of 10 a "mistake"? Personally...I am very happy with their consistent approach to these decisions. Especially a consistent approach that is very successful as a whole.

I don't think the priority is a receiver who can pick up a key 3rd and 7 AND is in the twilight of his career AND is relatively expensive is a top priority though. If the Ravens sign Boldin this offseason to a substantial contract, then you can make that assumption.

Let me ask you this. If the Ravens follow a specific philosophy when making personnel decisions (with veterans especially) and they are successful with 9 out of 10 decisions, does that really make the 1 out of 10 a "mistake"? Personally...I am very happy with their consistent approach to these decisions. Especially a consistent approach that is very successful as a whole.

I think I can and will make that assumption now. The front office stated they need to get a player this offseason who could do essentially what Boldin did. I think they realized that was missing from last years team. You can assume differently if you want.

Question 2. Yes. A mistake is a mistake. You and I have discussed your apparent viewpoint that because the front office is good that they are infallable before. I just dont agree or even get that viewpoint.

Thats like saying if someone has a system to play poker and wins 8 out of 10 times that they really dont lose the two times they actually lose.

Ozzie is good and I like him, but saying they dont make mistakes is just silly.

Points well taken. My comments are really directed towards Ozzie and the team moving forward . He and the FO have done extremely well in the past. It's time to get back on track, right the ship and start building a consistent playoff team for the future. This offseason is critical for doing that.

I think I can and will make that assumption now. The front office stated they need to get a player this offseason who could do essentially what Boldin did. I think they realized that was missing from last years team. You can assume differently if you want.

Question 2. Yes. A mistake is a mistake. You and I have discussed your apparent viewpoint that because the front office is good that they are infallable before. I just dont agree or even get that viewpoint.

Thats like saying if someone has a system to play poker and wins 8 out of 10 times that they really dont lose the two times they actually lose.

Ozzie is good and I like him, but saying they dont make mistakes is just silly.

You are completely misunderstanding me. I am stating that I want the front office to be consistent with their decision making. The Ravens are and they are usually correct. They don't flip flop with their philosophy on aging vets. 1 out of 10 veteran players going on to be productive with their new teams is inevitable. It doesn't make their decision a mistake in mind. If a HC has the philosophy that his team will always go for it on 4th and goal from the one yard line and the team is successful on 6 of the first 6 times, but then gets stopped one time, was it a "mistake" to go for it that 7th time?

You are completely misunderstanding me. I am stating that I want the front office to be consistent with their decision making. The Ravens are and they are usually correct. They don't flip flop with their philosophy on aging vets. 1 out of 10 veteran players going on to be productive with their new teams is inevitable. It doesn't make their decision a mistake in mind. If a HC has the philosophy that his team will always go for it on 4th and goal from the one yard line and the team is successful on 6 of the first 6 times, but then gets stopped one time, was it a "mistake" to go for it that 7th time?

I dont think I am misunderstanding you. You are saying that because the front office has a philosophy that usually works, that when it doesnt work it still worked.

As for the 4th and goal question, I would have to look at the circumstances of each instance to determine if I thought it was a mistake or not. Kind of like I look at each player let go or traded and determine whether I think that individual move was a mistake or not, not just thinking the team normally makes good moves so that one must have been too.

Edited by Spen
  • Upvote 2

I dont think I am misunderstanding you. You are saying that because the front office has a philosophy that usually works, that when it doesnt work it still worked.

Is your reading comprehension actually this bad or are you just feeling argumentative? Where did I say the Ravens' trading Boldin "worked"? When something doesn't work out for you, you automatically call it a mistake on your part?

I don't use hindsight to decide whether a decision was a mistake or not when it was made. Let's not forget the simple fact that nobody actually has any clue how things would have worked out had the Ravens kept Boldin.

Is your reading comprehension actually this bad or are you just feeling argumentative? Where did I say the Ravens' trading Boldin "worked"? When something doesn't work out for you, you automatically call it a mistake on your part?

I don't use hindsight to decide whether a decision was a mistake or not when it was made. Let's not forget the simple fact that nobody actually has any clue how things would have worked out had the Ravens kept Boldin.

Dont get upset. Thats kind of what you have been arguing though, correct? Because they followed a philosophy and because that philosophy usually works, that they didnt make a mistake with Boldin.

I do use hindsight to determine whether decisions were good or not. I think most poeple do. A trade, signing, or draft can be thought good or bad at the time it is completed, but it cannot be fully determined how good or bad it was until later.

Edited by Spen

Dont get upset. Thats kind of what you have been arguing though, correct? Because they followed a philosophy and because that philosophy usually works, that they didnt make a mistake with Boldin.

I do use hindsight to determine whether decisions were good or not. I think most poeple do. A trade, signing, or draft can be thought good or bad at the time it is completed, but it cannot be fully determined how good or bad it was until later.

We just have different viewpoints I guess. According to you, if something works 9 times out of 9 and doesn't work the 10th time, it's a mistake. I happen to believe if something works 9 times out of 9 and the Ravens choose to do something different the 10th time, then that is a mistake. Another example:

Many people believe the Ravens should have kept Dilfer as the starting QB in 2001. I believe the Ravens were correct in attempting to upgrade that position. I don't think it's fair for people to call replacing Dilfer a mistake when nobody has any idea how that season would have turned out if Dilfer was the QB (especially given all the other setbacks the 2001 team had). I think it's an overly simplistic way of looking at things. Just because the desired results weren't achieved doesn't mean every decision was a mistake.

I guess it was a big mistake for the Ravens to draft Jamal Lewis in 2000 because they could have drafted Tom Brady. Actually there were 198 mistakes made in that draft before NE selected Brady with the 199th pick.