ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Offensive coaching "dream team"

Money

I think this is a good move by the Ravens. And, I do have a feeling that Bisciotti was involved along with Newsome. Harbs was probably going through the motions just so he could get to his guy Hostetler and the FO stepped in. Good for them!

I like the idea of Kubiak coming in...I just hope he can stay healthy. Didn't he have a medical problem this past season?

I think this is a good move by the Ravens. And, I do have a feeling that Bisciotti was involved along with Newsome. Harbs was probably going through the motions just so he could get to his guy Hostetler and the FO stepped in. Good for them!

I like the idea of Kubiak coming in...I just hope he can stay healthy. Didn't he have a medical problem this past season?

a stroke

Wow this is VERY exciting. Looks like the offense will be built from the ground up. Great to have a fresh start.

For those trashing on Juan Castillo: Castillo is very highly respected as an offensive line coach. Even McKinney had good things to say about him after being traded, despite the success not being there. Castillo did excellent work in Philadelphia for years as their line coach. Last year there was simply miscommunication between Castillo and Caldwell/Hostler. Kubiak and Dennison are proven in the zone scheme, which should work well with what Castillo knows best.

The best part is we are not done yet with this staff. Kubiak is going to have heavy influence on new coaches coming in. In the past our offensive staff has been a poor combination of coaches of different styles. This year we will have coaches who are of the same philosophy and have proven success working together.

This is the best positioned for success the Ravens have ever been on offense. We have a right to be excited.

Mort was saying Kubs wanted to bring five coaches with him, to Cleveland, and they balked. I wonder now who else will come if indeed he stuck with his guns of five coaches......

Kubiak, 52, is a former NFL quarterback (1983-1991) who once backed up John Elway. After his playing career was over, he was coaching quarterbacks at the professional level.

In 2006, Kubiak was hired as the Houston Texans’ head coach, and he spent more than seven seasons there. He led the Texans to their first playoff performances in 2011 and 2012.

Known for his offensive mind and play-calling acumen, Kubiak’s Texans finished in the top 10 of NFL offenses in four of the past six years. It was just outside the top 10 the other two times. The Texans were third in the NFL in total offense in 2008, fourth in 2009 and third in 2010.

Kubiak last served as an offensive coordinator in Denver, working under Mike Shanahan from 1995 to 2005. During that time, the Broncos had the most total yards (66,501) in the NFL, as well as the most touchdowns (465).

Kubiak has long run a very effective scheme that was highly respected by Harbaugh and Baltimore. He relies on the zone running scheme and a lot of play-action passing to open up big plays down the field. The Ravens studied the Texans’ running approach before the 2012 season and assimilated some of their practices into their own scheme.

“In your mind, you keep a list of the guys that give you the most trouble as coaches,” Harbaugh said. “This staff, from what they did offensively and what they’ve done over the years have been a pain in our rear. Right out of the gates, that’s the first thing I thought about. It looks like, in a lot of ways, like we want to look.” http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Gary-Kubiak-Hired-As-Ravens-Offensive-Coordinator/5dec4b9b-ce2f-496c-b6f9-40552bb9c561

I don't want him, I think he's shell shocked and needs time to recover from his teams epic implosion, but now that they signed him, I'm going to look for the good.

1. Most of the time, the Ravens have not been able to put together a top 10 offense. He's done that.

2. The Ravens need a for real running game. That has always been his philosophy: to run the ball effectively.

3. That establish's the play action pass and Joe is more than capable of making 3-5 big plays a game when his line blocks and his backs run.

4. His offenses are balanced in production...not just run/pass ratio.

5. If he had Flacco in Houston they might have 2 SB trophy's by now.

I'm a die hard Raven fan and I am officially on the Kubiak bandwagon.

What makes you think he's shell shocked Max? You do make a good point that he might need some time off. However Kubiak actually acknowledged that point. During the presser he said it was good for him to take some time off after being fired midseason. Kubiak said he was driving his wife crazy at home and he's ready to get back to work!

What makes you think he's shell shocked Max? You do make a good point that he might need some time off. However Kubiak actually acknowledged that point. During the presser he said it was good for him to take some time off after being fired midseason. Kubiak said he was driving his wife crazy at home and he's ready to get back to work!

I'm letting all that go.

Gary is the Man now! :gorave:

I have to stay reserved with my opinion , Houston was a preseason sb favorite last year and they wound up in the shitter, max might be on to something saying he might be shell shocked, even if they met up with adversity on the offense they still had enough to carry them . And that's not touching the defensive side of the ball.

Time will tell, but my gut days it was a rebound hire.

I have to stay reserved with my opinion , Houston was a preseason sb favorite last year and they wound up in the shitter, max might be on to something saying he might be shell shocked, even if they met up with adversity on the offense they still had enough to carry them . And that's not touching the defensive side of the ball.

Time will tell, but my gut days it was a rebound hire.

Um, most of that was not the play calling, rather the execution. It is difficult to win games, to rebound in games when your quarterback throws consecutive pick sixes. Shaub played horrible this past season, that was the main reason for the losses. Foster was banged up, maybe washed up, the defense just didn't have it either, being on the field all the time. Pre season rankings are for fans, to generate conversation which = money; they mean little.

Proof of that is this year, the first time in what 20 years that two #1's are playing in the Super Bowl.... I do agree, expecting a number 1 offense next season is quite the stretch, they realy can't get much worse.

Much of it is on the offensive line, if they improve there, the offense, even if Cavs is calling plays, would be better....

Um, most of that was not the play calling, rather the execution. It is difficult to win games, to rebound in games when your quarterback throws consecutive pick sixes. Shaub played horrible this past season, that was the main reason for the losses. Foster was banged up, maybe washed up, the defense just didn't have it either, being on the field all the time. Pre season rankings are for fans, to generate conversation which = money; they mean little.

Proof of that is this year, the first time in what 20 years that two #1's are playing in the Super Bowl.... I do agree, expecting a number 1 offense next season is quite the stretch, they realy can't get much worse.

Much of it is on the offensive line, if they improve there, the offense, even if Cavs is calling plays, would be better....

Yeah Kubiak will look like a genius when he replaces Gino and Oher and this offense jumps 15 spots.

With the exception of maybe Norv... Kubiak was the best hire the Ravens had available. What were the other choices? Shanny's son who's just starting out..... Wilson who's never called plays....Hostler who did it once years ago and failed....

T the execution is in the coaching don't you agree? Houston was basically the same team from 2011. I'm just leery on this kubiak

to an extent, yes. However, Kubs is best for putting players in a position to do well, using them to the best of their ability. Now, if he calls a play with an 11 set, say a hitch on the right, a stop & go on the left, tight end curl and half back leaking out and the quarterback locks onto his receiver, is that on Kubs or the quarterback? If the back leaks out too early, despite being taught, drilled into the timing of the play, is that on the coach or the back?

We all know a quarterback, once outside the pocket, can throw the ball away, even into the stands so long as it goes past the line of scrimmage. Now, the coach drills this into his head, he practices it perfectly on bootlegs, but in the game, he either forces the throw while under pressure leading to a pick, or eats it for a sack, is that on the coach of the player?

Again, take last season out, there was a lot going on there that most do not realize, most of it not on Kubs. Foster had major issues off the field plus some nagging injuries on the field. Tate was injured for most of the season as well and then to have to use three quarterbacks it all = a losing season and very little of that is on Kubs.

Time will tell, on the surface this looks like a very good move. A fresh set of eyes for the offense. A new tight end coach, maybe a new set of positional coaches entirely. Frankly, Harmon was, even after all this time, unproven. Who did he ever develop? Sharpe? He was on his way to the Hall of Fame when he dropped in for a visit. Heap? He learned from Sharpe and most of his succes was in his hands, natural, not his route running. He could not block to save his life.

Pita? Please, just like Heap it is his speed and hands that make him look like a good tight end. However, his route running stinks. So a fresh set of eyes, some more coaches with a different mindset maybe leads to a truly better tight end, offensive line, better blocking receivers which all equal a better running game. When the running game improves, play action, something Kubs loves and Joe does very well, opens up, works better.

I will give Castillo a break, now he has an OC who lives in the zone blocking scheme, that may make a difference. It is also a fresher set of eyes for the draft and free agency, so we shall see.... All in all I think it is the best move they could have made for this offense.

I

to an extent, yes. However, Kubs is best for putting players in a position to do well, using them to the best of their ability. Now, if he calls a play with an 11 set, say a hitch on the right, a stop & go on the left, tight end curl and half back leaking out and the quarterback locks onto his receiver, is that on Kubs or the quarterback? If the back leaks out too early, despite being taught, drilled into the timing of the play, is that on the coach or the back?

We all know a quarterback, once outside the pocket, can throw the ball away, even into the stands so long as it goes past the line of scrimmage. Now, the coach drills this into his head, he practices it perfectly on bootlegs, but in the game, he either forces the throw while under pressure leading to a pick, or eats it for a sack, is that on the coach of the player?

Again, take last season out, there was a lot going on there that most do not realize, most of it not on Kubs. Foster had major issues off the field plus some nagging injuries on the field. Tate was injured for most of the season as well and then to have to use three quarterbacks it all = a losing season and very little of that is on Kubs.

Time will tell, on the surface this looks like a very good move. A fresh set of eyes for the offense. A new tight end coach, maybe a new set of positional coaches entirely. Frankly, Harmon was, even after all this time, unproven. Who did he ever develop? Sharpe? He was on his way to the Hall of Fame when he dropped in for a visit. Heap? He learned from Sharpe and most of his succes was in his hands, natural, not his route running. He could not block to save his life.

Pita? Please, just like Heap it is his speed and hands that make him look like a good tight end. However, his route running stinks. So a fresh set of eyes, some more coaches with a different mindset maybe leads to a truly better tight end, offensive line, better blocking receivers which all equal a better running game. When the running game improves, play action, something Kubs loves and Joe does very well, opens up, works better.

I will give Castillo a break, now he has an OC who lives in the zone blocking scheme, that may make a difference. It is also a fresher set of eyes for the draft and free agency, so we shall see.... All in all I think it is the best move they could have made for this offense.

Good analysis. I do see Crav's point but I think Kubs' record before this last season is more important than what just happened. Plus he's coming in as OC where he has always done well.

IF the Ravens' offense can be improved, these guys can do it.

We'll still need a much better than average draft.

I hope Oz and Eric come through this year.

Interesting stat from the Ravens' website:

"Play-action passing suits Flacco well, as he showed last year, because he’s athletic and mobile enough to get outside the pocket and either run or throw. Flacco had a 90.7 quarterback rating when using play-action passing last year, compared to 70.3 with no play action."