ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ellerbe

Guest BallTMore

Guest BallTMore

Great game.

But.

He may have the ugliest running style I have ever seen. He carried the football like a man holding a diaper-less baby that was going to the bathroom. Looked scared to death. lol

obama-holding-baby-2.jpg

He had some jets though. Have we found the next Bart Scott?

No, completely different styles. Ellerbe is all about speed, he fits in well because the rest of our defense is pretty damn slow and we need a LB that can cover in space. Scott wasn't good at coverage but was a great pass rusher, something we are desperately missing right now.

No, completely different styles. Ellerbe is all about speed, he fits in well because the rest of our defense is pretty damn slow and we need a LB that can cover in space. Scott wasn't good at coverage but was a great pass rusher, something we are desperately missing right now.

True, but remember that Scott was not always a banger. He started out as a weakside linebacker playing the backside pursuit in a 4-3 scheme replacing Tommy Polley back in 2005. I like Ellerbe's potential a whole lot. He has speed, size, and is not scared of come up to fill against guards and fullbacks (cough... Gooden... cough).

He has speed, size, and is not scared of come up to fill against guards and fullbacks (cough... Gooden... cough).

I agree. I was rewatching the Vikings game, I think that is where Gooden lost his job to Ellerbe. Gooden just didn't attack the line like Ellerbe does and it makes a big difference. You can't take on the blocker 1 to 2 yards off the line, you have to hit him at the line (otherwise gap control kind of goes out the window). Even worse, you shouldn't always try to run around the blocker (that just creates holes) you have to stuff him.

Gooden seems faster though, and therefore may have more potential in pass coverage. Maybe he could move to the outside or back to safety.

Ellerbe is playing great though, a lot of fun to watch.

I agree. I was rewatching the Vikings game, I think that is where Gooden lost his job to Ellerbe. Gooden just didn't attack the line like Ellerbe does and it makes a big difference. You can't take on the blocker 1 to 2 yards off the line, you have to hit him at the line (otherwise gap control kind of goes out the window). Even worse, you shouldn't always try to run around the blocker (that just creates holes) you have to stuff him.

Gooden seems faster though, and therefore may have more potential in pass coverage. Maybe he could move to the outside or back to safety.

Ellerbe is playing great though, a lot of fun to watch.

I heard Gooden has trouble keeping on the neccessary weight needed to play linebacker. I think I remember reading in the Sun that he came into training camp at 245 pounds, but the coaching staff wanted him back at 230-235 because he would not have been able to maintain that heavier weight throughout the course of a season. Could he play safety? Who knows.