ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Raiders Interview Hue Jackson

ForceEight

With the status of the Raiders' coaching staff still in limbo, the organization continues to search for replacements.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Raiders requested and received permission from the Ravens to interview quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson for an "unspecified position."

If the "unspecified position" is head coach, the Ravens had no ability to block the request. If the "unspecified position" is anything less than that, the Ravens could have said "no."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/hue-jackson-to-interview-with-the-raiders/

I read on I think it was Adam Schefters Twitter that he was interviewing for OC and that Cable had 'no idea' he was going there. It was all Al Davis. Hilarious. Jackson would be smart not to take a position in that organization, but it can't hurt to hone your interview skills.

EDIT: Yes, Schefter and Aaron Wilson both have confirmed via Twitter that that is the position he is interviewing for.

I know the Raiders would not be the best situation for Hue, but at the same time he has a chance to be an OC in this league, something I know he wants badly to be. Hue is a smart guy though, and I am sure better opportunities will arise. Nevertheless, Hue could use this interview as experience for future jobs as well. I for one would love to have Hue as the OC of this team some day.

Oh come on! We are being a little hard on Cam, aren't we? I do not think we should judge him until the end of next season. His first year the offense was 18th, this year it was 13th. If the offense stays around the same ranking, I will be more willing to agree with you. But I have a good feeling that this will be a top ten offense next season. Cam is going to add some more wrinkles to the offense, and will open up the playbook and give Joe more control with him heading into his third year. Ozzie knows what needs to be done, and he will get some more weapons.

I know the Raiders would not be the best situation for Hue, but at the same time he has a chance to be an OC in this league, something I know he wants badly to be. Hue is a smart guy though, and I am sure better opportunities will arise. Nevertheless, Hue could use this interview as experience for future jobs as well. I for one would love to have Hue as the OC of this team some day.

But the Raiders ? Why would anyone subject themselves to such pain; is he a masochist ?

Oh well... By now he was woken up !

Oh come on! We are being a little hard on Cam, aren't we? I do not think we should judge him until the end of next season. His first year the offense was 18th, this year it was 13th. If the offense stays around the same ranking, I will be more willing to agree with you. But I have a good feeling that this will be a top ten offense next season. Cam is going to add some more wrinkles to the offense, and will open up the playbook and give Joe more control with him heading into his third year. Ozzie knows what needs to be done, and he will get some more weapons.

13th is good? Just because we beat up on bad teams... the only thing that should define a coordinator is how well they do against quality opponents. How has Cameron's offense done in the postseason? Or against good defenses? Anyone can game plan for the Lions and Bears. We scored 3 points against the Colts, and that was because of originality on the initial possession. After their adjustment, we threw that out the window. No shots downfield in the entire game? Give me a break. A quarterback who falls apart in the postseason gets blamed; I think coordinators who call bad plays under pressure should receive just as much blame.

13th is good? Just because we beat up on bad teams... the only thing that should define a coordinator is how well they do against quality opponents. How has Cameron's offense done in the postseason? Or against good defenses? Anyone can game plan for the Lions and Bears. We scored 3 points against the Colts, and that was because of originality on the initial possession. After their adjustment, we threw that out the window. No shots downfield in the entire game? Give me a break. A quarterback who falls apart in the postseason gets blamed; I think coordinators who call bad plays under pressure should receive just as much blame.

More than anything I was measuring progress. These things do not change over night. We had some impressive performances against quality opponents. We had 363 total yards against the Pats (regular season), 448 yards against the Vikings, and 393 (first time) and 323 (second time) yards against the Steelers.

I am not defending Cam at all for the Colts game (or the two Bengals games for that matter), I am just saying we have shown progress in each of his two years, collectively. I think we started a below-average offense when Cam arrived, we took the step to a little above average offense, and now next season we need to take the step to a top ten offense. For us to take that next step, we are going to have to do the things you mentioned, make better adjustments, let Joe make audibles at the line, and more quick passes to counter the blitzes (and better blitz recognition for that matter). Most of all, we need consistency and better redzone efficiency.

If we get a new offensive coordinator we have to start all over. It is a risk. It could work out, it could backfire. Given the lack of weapons we have in the passing game, I am not sure. Right now our best bet is to let Cam continue to work with the offense in its third year and hope that Ozzie gets him some weapons.

I am not defending Cam at all for the Colts game (or the two Bengals games for that matter), I am just saying we have shown progress in each of his two years, collectively. I think we started a below-average offense when Cam arrived, we took the step to a little above average offense, and now next season we need to take the step to a top ten offense. For us to take that next step, we are going to have to do the things you mentioned, make better adjustments, let Joe make audibles at the line, and more quick passes to counter the blitzes (and better blitz recognition for that matter). Most of all, we need consistency and better redzone efficiency.

If we get a new offensive coordinator we have to start all over. It is a risk. It could work out, it could backfire. Given the lack of weapons we have in the passing game, I am not sure. Right now our best bet is to let Cam continue to work with the offense in its third year and hope that Ozzie gets him some weapons.

So what you're saying is that we're stuck with Cam. I can't argue with that; I just wish it wasn't the situation. Let's hope, though, that it's because of Cameron that we're improving and not because of Hue Jackson (if he does leave) It's at least encouraging that Flacco appeared just as frustrated with Cam as the fans in the last game. I hope he steps up and asserts himself with the coaches in his 3rd year like we know a Brady or a Manning would. I know both of those guys are probably fiery behind the scenes and make their opinions known to the coaching staff. I hope Flacco has this in him so that his downfield abilities don't go to waste in Cameron's system.

And yeah, let's see if we can't get some more weapons this offseason.

(Btw, shouldn't we consider Oher an offensive weapon? I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that the beastly offensive tackle may have been just as responsible for Flacco's improved stats this year as Cameron.)

Adam Schefter is now tweeting that Jackson is on his way to Chicago to interview for their OC job. That would definitely be a much better job for Hue than the Oakland job.

Since we're already replacing coordinators who still have jobs, it's the perfect time to promote Hue to OC.

Since we're already replacing coordinators who still have jobs, it's the perfect time to promote Hue to OC.

Lets do it! LOL, you really don't like Cam much, do you? I'm just curious, what makes you think Hue would be a better coordinator? I am not saying he wouldn't, it is just that we don't have much experience to base that on.

Lets do it! LOL, you really don't like Cam much, do you? I'm just curious, what makes you think Hue would be a better coordinator? I am not saying he wouldn't, it is just that we don't have much experience to base that on.

I'm just really against coaches and coordinators who have a reputation for resorting to ultra-conservative gameplans in big games and situations. It seems like these guys (Norv Turner, Marty Shottenheimer, Brian Billick?, etc.) always come up short in the postseason, regardless of how well their teams do in the regular season.

I think if you looked at it closely, we probably have had our biggest days offensively when we used a loose, non-traditional gameplan. I remember when we introduced the "Suggs" package in 2008... where did that stuff go this year? Our first series against the Colts featured "trick plays", and we scored our only points of the day on the drive.

So it's not so much that I hate Cam, or that I believe Hue is the next coming of Jesus Christ; I'd just rather take a chance with a coach who may take a chance with our offense, rather than stick wtih a guy who I believe will always let us down in the big games.

I'm just really against coaches and coordinators who have a reputation for resorting to ultra-conservative gameplans in big games and situations. It seems like these guys (Norv Turner, Marty Shottenheimer, Brian Billick?, etc.) always come up short in the postseason, regardless of how well their teams do in the regular season.

I think if you looked at it closely, we probably have had our biggest days offensively when we used a loose, non-traditional gameplan. I remember when we introduced the "Suggs" package in 2008... where did that stuff go this year? Our first series against the Colts featured "trick plays", and we scored our only points of the day on the drive.

So it's not so much that I hate Cam, or that I believe Hue is the next coming of Jesus Christ; I'd just rather take a chance with a coach who may take a chance with our offense, rather than stick wtih a guy who I believe will always let us down in the big games.

Cannot disagree with you here at all. Cam definitely learned from his mentor Norv Turner. You are exactly right, Norv is notorious for having an explosive offense in the regular season then for some unknown reason he decides to go conservative in the post-season. Anyways congrats to Hue, he deserves.

BTW, Aaron Wilson is tweeting that Al Saunders is in the running for the QB coach.

Ditto. While I believe in Cam and love what he has done here so far, I worried about his Chargers connection and their early exits from the playoffs...he was part of that.

I've commented about "Playing to win the game." In the playoffs you have to avoid the costly turnover but that can't have you going conservative and playing tight. There is something to be said about being 'relaxed, confident and agressive'....like the Colts. Attacking for 60 minutes.

If Joe had the receivers Cam could do that. I think Joe will take the next step in 2010....he really has it all except the supporting cast.

What's his tweet id cleetz?

Also, that would make more sense as he is internal...

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider

I completely forgot we had Saunders on the staff.

Ditto. While I believe in Cam and love what he has done here so far, I worried about his Chargers connection and their early exits from the playoffs...he was part of that.

I've commented about "Playing to win the game." In the playoffs you have to avoid the costly turnover but that can't have you going conservative and playing tight. There is something to be said about being 'relaxed, confident and agressive'....like the Colts. Attacking for 60 minutes.

If Joe had the receivers Cam could do that. I think Joe will take the next step in 2010....he really has it all except the supporting cast.

Norv, Cam and Marty have had some great receivers, a stud offensive line, two Pro-Bowl QBs, and the best offensive player of the past decade and still couldn't get his offense going in the playoffs. If Joe had Vincent Jackson to throw to, do you think the result of the Colts game would have been different? At first I did, but I am starting to side with Spear, is Cam the problem?