ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Receiving Corp Not Better ...Not Yet.

vmax

At this moment, the signing of Boldin is only a 'Push'.

All that's happened is one 1,000 yard receiver has been replaced by one who is younger.

Despite what the media says, there is a sense of urgency to sign Derrik Mason. Sign him and this receiving corp is vastly improved in the short term because the Ravens would now have TWO 1,000 yard receivers. They don't have that with Stallworth and Boldin + the usual suspects.

Not at this moment.

Now to this sense of urgency. It won't happen fast because Derrick needs to find his market value. No teams are looking his way right now.

Once Derrick finds his value then he has to deciede if the money is wqorth giving his all for 2 more years or to retire from the game. Retirement is a real option because he will not get 'Boldin' money.

You don't replace Masons production over night via the draft and there are no receivers that I see in free agency who the Ravens can afford to sign.

So they need Derrick....but Ozzie has to be patient while Derrick finds his value and desiedes if he can live and play with for that money.

50655705.JPG

So...it's 3rd and 5...I like the Ravens chances with Heap, Stallworth, Boldin, Rice and Mason on the field.

I love their chances.

Mason has zero market value, he had that 8 years ago..There are not a whole lot of teams out there that want to give multi year contracts to a 36 year old. Its important to Oz to reel in Mason, because of the familiarity that Mason has with Flacco..Its to the Ravens benefit to offer him a 2 year deal, get 2 years out of him with Boldin..I have no problem with being a repeat Super Bowl Champ...Do you??

Saying Boldin is equivalent to Mason is a slap in the face of Anquan Boldin. Donte Stallworth as our #2 is also better then any #2 we had last year. I would like to bring Mason back, but c'mon, our WR corp is far and away better than last year.

Saying Boldin is equivalent to Mason is a slap in the face of Anquan Boldin. Donte Stallworth as our #2 is also better then any #2 we had last year. I would like to bring Mason back, but c'mon, our WR corp is far and away better than last year.

Replacing Mason with Boldin is in no way a "push." But i do agree we still need to bring Mason back for the sheer fact he has a good relationship with Flacco and I don't want a completely new receiving corp going into the season.

I stand by what I said...

All that's happened is one 1,000 yard receiver has been replaced by one who is younger.

Boldin is younger...more physical...but the end result is the same...both make the 1st down grabs.

They are both 1,000 yarders year in and year out. Mason has the better yards per catch at 14.1 vs 12.2 for Boldin.

Mason has 7 TD's to Boldin's 4 last year.

It matters not whether you run over CB's for first downs or break their ankles on a cut. Moving the chains is moving the chains.

Very similar production-wise.

Now...we know Mason's tank will run dry soon but I think he has one more great season in him...maybe 2.

It's inexplicable how Mason has been so underrated this past decade. He was one of the top 5-10 receivers but because he doesn't scream for attention...he was basicaly over looked and unnoticed.

Edited by vmax

I stand by what I said...

Boldin is younger...more physical...but the end result is the same...both make the 1st down grabs.

They are both 1,000 yarders year in and year out. Mason has the better yards per catch at 14.1 vs 12.2 for Boldin.

Mason has 7 TD's to Boldin's 4 last year.

It matters not whether you run over CB's for first downs or break their ankles on a cut. Moving the chains is moving the chains.

Very similar production-wise.

Now...we know Mason's tank will run dry soon but I think he has one more great season in him...maybe 2.

It's inexplicable how Mason has been so underrated this past decade. He was one of the top 5-10 receivers but because he doesn't scream for attention...he was basicaly over looked and unnoticed.

I am tired of people saying that Boldin for Mason is a sidestep or a push. While they both may be possession receivers, Boldin brings a lot more to the table than Mason. First, Boldin at 6'1" 217 pounds gives Joe a big catching radius anywhere on the field, especially over the middle. Boldin has long arms and strong hands, he fights for the ball in the air. Mason is only 5'10" and catches with his body. Mason is not very effective over the middle because Joe does not have much room for error when throwing to Mason, he essentially has to be perfect on every throw to D-Mase. Mason thus does most of his work on the sidelines. Boldin's effect will go beyond himself, it will give Joe confidence throwing the ball over the middle of the field because he now knows he has a receiver that will fight for the ball and can bail him out. This will help Joe expand his game and become a better QB.

Then there is the matter of YAC and the redzone. Boldin runs the ball like a runningback. We have never had that strong, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall-type receiver that can catch a screen and barrell ahead for the first down, possibly more (the screen play to Boldin in the redzone was the Cards bread-and-butter). Boldin only had four touchdowns last season, but since 2003 Mason has 37 TDs in 112 games, Boldin has 44 TDs in 95 games. You mention Boldin's 12.8 YPC average on his career, compare that to Brandon Marshall's 12.3 YPC average and Larry Fitzgerald's 13.5 YPC average (Fitz only had a 11.3 YPC average this past season). YPC does not always measure gamebreaking ability, especially when you have YAC receivers like Boldin, Marshall, and Fitz.

So yes, the receiving corp is not complete yet. But we still have a lot of free agency left and the draft. Ozzie is playing the Mason situation just like he played the Ray Lewis situation last offseason. The market will set itself, Mason will realize he is not going to get more money anywhere else, so he will return here for a good contract as this is his best situation. Mason is going to be a great #2 receiver for us. If Mason leaves, we will either make a play for Bryant or draft a rookie high. Just have patience.

...and let me say something about Stallworth being an upgrade....Patrick Johnson could fly just like Stallworth but that never stopped any team from putting 8 in the box.

Why?

Because you have to catch the ball to be a threat. Being fast isn't enough. Straight line speed ain't much either.

Now...Stallworth might go back to his rookie year and then the Ravens have that valuable weapon. He's gotten worse...not better. So this is his last big chance to revive his career.

Stallworth, Mason and Boldin is a very big upgrade over last years group. If that group can stay healthy...a big 'if" there.

As of right now, sure our WR corp is better than last year, but it isn't vastly improved just yet! Boldin is a huge upgrade over Mason, but after that we don't have much else. As good as he is, Boldin has never been a #1 WR nor has he had to do it alone. In order to make significant improvement we need to add 1 more FA (Mason or Antonio Bryant) and then a draft pick (not necessarily a 1st rounder, but another rookie WR will help add depth).

As of right now, sure our WR corp is better than last year, but it isn't vastly improved just yet! Boldin is a huge upgrade over Mason, but after that we don't have much else. As good as he is, Boldin has never been a #1 WR nor has he had to do it alone. In order to make significant improvement we need to add 1 more FA (Mason or Antonio Bryant) and then a draft pick (not necessarily a 1st rounder, but another rookie WR will help add depth).

Boldin in 2003 caught 101 receptions for 1377 yards and 8 TDs without any receiver help. In 2005 he had 102 catches for 1402 yards and 7 TDs in only 14 games. In 2006 Fitz only played in 13 games and Boldin had 83 receptions for 1203 yards and 4 TDs. In 2007 Boldin had 89 receptions for 1038 yards and 11 TDs in only 12 games. Boldin was definitely a #1 receiver in 2003, and the other years he put up legit #1 numbers. If anything, he was more of a 1b to Fitz's 1a. I do agree with your point though, the WR corp is still unfinished. We need to bring back Mason or get Bryant. But we definitely have a #1 guy now.

I think the problem is that a lot of us first looked at the Boldin trade like we were adding him to our already existing offense, which would definitely put us over the top. But now that we're starting to realize that Mason may not be brought back, it changes a lot. Boldin AND Mason would be huge, but Boldin replacing Mason is less dramatic of an upgrade. Still important, yes, but I think the guy we're hoping to replace is Clayton, not Mason.

I think the problem is that a lot of us first looked at the Boldin trade like we were adding him to our already existing offense, which would definitely put us over the top. But now that we're starting to realize that Mason may not be brought back, it changes a lot. Boldin AND Mason would be huge, but Boldin replacing Mason is less dramatic of an upgrade. Still important, yes, but I think the guy we're hoping to replace is Clayton, not Mason.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Where have you been hearing that Mason may not be back JC. That would really put a dapper on what I thought was going to be a really exciting offense. Two guys that know how to get open and come back to the ball when needed. Clayton is not a guy we need to keep around, his ship has sailed. He's had ample opportunity to step up and be the man and has not grabbed the reins.

Mason runs a good out pattern, but he doesn't strike fear in corners.

I disagree with you there Spear, He must have posed some threat to the opposition..He was always double teamed.

"Strikes fear" and "poses a threat" are two entirely different things.

A chihuahua 'poses a threat' to my ankles. A tyrannosaurus rex, on the other hand...

A chihuahua 'poses a threat' to my ankles. A tyrannosaurus rex, on the other hand...

Just think back to the AFC Championship 2 years ago, Pittsville doubled and tripled Mason, and they totally shut us down when it counted..

Just think back to the AFC Championship 2 years ago, Pittsville doubled and tripled Mason, and they totally shut us down when it counted..

Crav et al,

Boldin was a huge pickup but we clearly need to resign Mason or pickup another FA. Marshall would be great - but I am just being greedy (I guess)- but we need to snatch another reliable veteran WR in addition to drafting a WR or TE in Round 1 or 2. If we do that, I am a happy man.

"I will always say, 'We are always looking to add good football players to our team," Newsome said Monday toward the end of the Anquan Boldin news conference. "I don't ever close the door on anyone, especially with the talent of Derrick Mason."

yodoz2%20copy.jpg

I think he'll be back.

Ozzie can't forget about a guy who played with one arm.

Did you hear Boldin lobby for Mason?

yodoz2%20copy.jpg

I think he'll be back.

Ozzie can't forget about a guy who played with one arm.

Did you hear Boldin lobby for Mason?

Cuz Boldin played as a #1 wideout without a legit NFL wr on his team for a few years. He knows what it's like to be the only show in town. So does Mason and I gurantee they both want another guy to create more opportunities for each other.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4976721

Ten logical cap casualties for 2010

Roy Williams, WR, Dallas Cowboys

Williams' tenure in Dallas has been an unmitigated disaster, with the Cowboys giving up far too much in terms of draft picks and cash to acquire and retain the former Texas star. At this point, he's the team's third receiver (behind Miles Austin and Jason Witten), and there's no reason to believe he's going to get much better. Williams is owed a guaranteed $9.5 million bonus this season, but if the Cowboys cut him, that bonus won't be applied to the cap over future seasons. They'll also save nearly $3.5 million in salary this year, a figure that will go up to nearly $33 million by the time his deal ends in 2014. How much do you think denial is worth to Jerry Jones?

What do ya think? Think Oz is just waiting to see who hits the Free Agent market after teams start to release players? I would think that Boldin and Williams would make a formidable duo! Williams is a tall big WR 6'3", 215 lbs with tons of talent. He has underperformed some over the years but in a 6 year career he has put up reasonable numbers:

319 cathes 4678 yards 14.7 average 37 touchedowns 220 first downs

Pairing him with Boldin might really put us over the top! What do you think?