ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Now that Kubes is gone ....

varaven45

When Harbaugh hired Juan Castillo as offensive line coach it was clear his intention was to have this zone scheme. Kubiak ran a WCO, but a different type than the Eagles version. After a real rough 2013 where Juan Castillo got unfairly hammered, we started to see the successful transition this past season.

Juan was hired as run game coordinator. He was meddling in 2013. He is the one variable that made the run game putrid. He started pushing ZBS on a Caldwell offense that looked like it didn't need it.

Juan was hired as run game coordinator. He was meddling in 2013. He is the one variable that made the run game putrid. He started pushing ZBS on a Caldwell offense that looked like it didn't need it.

Exactly my point. After Cameron was fired Harbaugh wanted to switch the the zone blocking scheme whether we needed it at the time or not. Castillo was a poor fit in 2013 but this past year he was excellent once we got an OC who's philosphy gelled. Castillo should work well with Trestman.

Then Harbs shoudl have said thx but no thanks to Caldwell. We aren't running your offensive system. Don't mix and match to the detriment to the on field performance.

Not saying you're right or wrong, just saying the zone blocking scheme was/is part of Harbaugh's long-term vision for the offense and Castillo was one step toward that. Injuries definitely played a part, and so did Castillo and Caldwell's philosophies not gelling. Regardless, 2013 probably went worse than anyone could have imagined. Things ended up working out for the best as now we have a well coached, talented offensive line with lots of depth.

This is actually starting to make sense with Harbaugh's overall vision. When Harbaugh was hired back in 2008 we all thought he was going to bring Pat Shumur with him and install the Eagles, WCO with the zone blocking system. Harbaugh, as a new coach himself, went with an experienced OC in Cameron instead of Shumur who was only a QB coach at the time.

When Harbaugh hired Juan Castillo as offensive line coach it was clear his intention was to have this zone scheme. Kubiak ran a WCO, but a different type than the Eagles version. After a real rough 2013 where Juan Castillo got unfairly hammered, we started to see the successful transition this past season.

Now we have Trestman, who's experienced in the WCO. Not quite Kubiak's version, but not quite Andy Reid's version. Moreso what we saw from the Raiders when he was coaching Rich Gannon.

Sure, he's pass happy, but look at the receiving numbers for Charlie Garner from 2001-2003, and look at Matt Forte's receiving numbers the past couple of seasons. How about Brian Westbrook in the WCO? It's touches for the running back regardless. The Ravens were successful in the playoffs this season because they were aggressive and smart with the run. They didn't try and run into a brick wall, but we're strategic with the run resulting in a high YPC. I would expect Trestman to build upon this, and if that means more receptions for the RB then so be it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a running back with receiving skills high in the draft. David Johnson from Northern Iowa and Trey Coleman from Indiana are names to watch.

Now with the Mornhinweg hire Harbaugh has come full circle with his vision. He has the type of staff in place where he can run that Eagles, Andy Reid WCO.

Oh for Godsake, Andy Reid's WCO........................ ( shudder ).

Actually it is Andy Reid's WCO. You know, the one that's guaranteed to lose big games.

Where do you think Reid got his start smart guy? Walsh is the origin of the West Coast, as I said, read his book, a great read, full of good stuff. Look for the Bill Walsh special in the show, A Football Life, you will learn lots just from it.... Reid just put his wrinkle on it and as papa said, doesn't like to run very much, he would rather use the short pass as a running game.

Trestman, Walsh, ran when they needed to, believed in power running if they had a power back or cut running if they had a scat back. They adapted their offense to the players, not the other way around.

Trestman, Walsh, ran when they needed to, believed in power running if they had a power back or cut running if they had a scat back. They adapted their offense to the players, not the other way around.

Bingo. Trestman is a smart guy and his touch on the WCO will be adapted to our player strengths. At this point our offensive line is our best strength and our QB works best off of play action, Trestman will play to that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/30/martellus-bennett-thinks-marc-trestman-will-be-better-offensive-coordinator-than-head-coach/

"Trestman, I think, first off, the issue that he had, probably, was managing us all, all the different personalities, Bennett said. Theres a lot of big personalities. And I think, for a first-time head coach in the NFL, dealing with all the personalities that you have, I think thats hard when you got guys like me, you know, [brandon] Marshall Lance Briggs on defense, (Charles) Tillman Calling plays, he was excellent. I think hes going to be an excellent coordinator for the Ravens. Strategically, he was great. But on the field, guys just werent executing.

Sounds like Trestman is better suited to be an OC than a HC in the NFL.

We'll be good with Trestman. We have a 7 deep O line..the line loves Castillo....Joe was sacked the 2nd fewest times in the NFL...4.5 ypc.

Trestman has the pieces in place for good things to happen on offense.

Where do you think Reid got his start smart guy? Walsh is the origin of the West Coast, as I said, read his book, a great read, full of good stuff. Look for the Bill Walsh special in the show, A Football Life, you will learn lots just from it.... Reid just put his wrinkle on it and as papa said, doesn't like to run very much, he would rather use the short pass as a running game.

Makes no difference that Bill Walsh wrote a book dumbass. I see it hasn't stopped Andy Reid from losing the big games. Whatta loser.

Makes no difference that Bill Walsh wrote a book dumbass. I see it hasn't stopped Andy Reid from losing the big games. Whatta loser.

ZIIIIIIIIIP, went right over your head. Reid came from the walsh coaching tree. Walsh came up with, developed the WCO. All Reid did was put his own spin on it, just as every other coach who came from the Walsh tree. Trestman, as I said, uses the offense the way Walsh did; fitting the offense around his players.

He wrote his book so people like you could have it read to them, and gain knowledge of the game & of the offense. Go back to Walsh's time as an assistant with the Bengals, his offense changed when their first string qb who had one of the best arms, EVER in the NFL, went down with an injury and was replaced by the back up who had a noodle for an arm and it never missed a beat.

ZIIIIIIIIIP, went right over your head. Reid came from the walsh coaching tree. Walsh came up with, developed the WCO. All Reid did was put his own spin on it, just as every other coach who came from the Walsh tree. Trestman, as I said, uses the offense the way Walsh did; fitting the offense around his players.

He wrote his book so people like you could have it read to them, and gain knowledge of the game & of the offense. Go back to Walsh's time as an assistant with the Bengals, his offense changed when their first string qb who had one of the best arms, EVER in the NFL, went down with an injury and was replaced by the back up who had a noodle for an arm and it never missed a beat.

I assure you this is hardly over my head. That Reid came from Walsh's coaching tree is irrelevant. What is relevant is Andy Reid's version of the WCO has a long history of coming up short in big games. Call it karma, call it plain bad luck, call it stupidity but whatever it is, I personally don't want it rubbing off on my team. Harbaugh should rid himself of his Philly buddies.

I assure you this is hardly over my head. That Reid came from Walsh's coaching tree is irrelevant. What is relevant is Andy Reid's version of the WCO has a long history of coming up short in big games. Call it karma, call it plain bad luck, call it stupidity but whatever it is, I personally don't want it rubbing off on my team. Harbaugh should rid himself of his Philly buddies.

This is about Trestman, not Reid. And Yeah, Harbs has done so poorly here with his coaching staff............ The main one who should be fired is their replay man, who ever tells Harbs to challange needs to be fired; he is almost always wrong.