ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2010 Orioles Gameday Thread

I dunno... I like Luke at 1B a lot more than Wigginton. But I haven't seen hitting stats for that... is he just not good when fielding?

His hitting stats are OK as a first baseman with .834 OPS in 49 ABs and a .734 OPS as a LF in 43 ABs. However, considering he has a .935 OPS on the season it is clear Luke is most comfortable as a DH.

My point is that Wigginton is much more of a natural at 1B than Scott. Scott made three terrible plays yesterday at first base (a bad throw, a poorly fielded ground ball that should have been an out, and a poor play on an Arrieta pickoff throw) that cost this team multiple runs and made Arrieta's innings extended. Scott has never looked good at first base in my opinion. Wigginton is at least respectable, Scott looks lost. Case in point, Showalter yanked Scott in the ninth inning yesterday to put Bell at third and Wiggington at first.

Stat-wise, Scott has three errors in 13 games (should have been charged with two more errors last night on a poorly fielded ground ball and the Arrieta pick-off throw) with a fielding percentage of .976. Wigging has only seven in 56 games for a fielding percentage of .986. Simply put, Scott is a liability at first. He is a good left fielder, but his best production comes as our clean up hitter and our DH.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweep a team that's got 12 wins against you in season. Nice.

O's are first in the AL East and 2nd in the AL since Showalter took over. 4 games ahead of the Yanks even.

And kudos and thanks to Bergesen for last night... I have a bedtime now that school is in session, so to be able to leave the ballpark (with a game complete) at 9:05 is nice.